[HONORABLE MENTION] curious mountain stick ? THE FINAL CHAPTER ! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: curious mountain stick ? THE FINAL CHAPTER !

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Thanks for playing. You lose.

Aug 2006
    smAlbany, NY
    DFX
    59 times

Re: curious mountain stick ?

MAN LAW!
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

Thanks for playing. You lose.

Aug 2006
    smAlbany, NY
    DFX
    59 times

Just post her pic in the found treasures and I will nominate it for the "Best of" forum.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    544 times

Quote Originally Posted by mojjax
    I got this stick several years ago in a barn we were tearing down in Maine . Thought it looked good enough to set aside an keep . The other day I needed a piece of wood for a project I was doing . Just before I was about to cut it , I saw inscriptions on it .
    Have you been able to find out any more about the names on this stick, mojjax? I'm still curious about the history behind it, and I want to know if I should start making plans to stay at your place when Elyse Luray show up.
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

us
    American by Birth ~ Gun Owner by Right ~ Jesus by Choice

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    22 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

way too cool and if only the stick could talk
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

us
    Feb 2005
    MAINE
    Ace 250
    3514 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

Yes, I've talked to an old man in town - showed him the stick - he told me who he thinks the J. P. huston guy was . I also found a graveyard full of stones with Huston on them , there were so many ,and I was on my way to work , so I did not get to check them all out (over 50 Hustons) I'm gonna go there tomorrow with my camera . Our
    library has a huge local genealogy section , but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet .
    The Sheriff came by the other day - our horse broke out of its fenced-in area and was walking down route 1 . so I've been busy fixen fences and stuff before the storm we're supposed to get Monday .
    A scrap metal guy came by last weekend and I've been getting a pile ready for him (copper ,brass , aluminum) .......busy busy .
    But I'm planing on donating the stick to the local Historical Society when I finish researching it ( I thank You all for pointing me in the right direction !)
    Yes , txgirl , I wish the stick could talk.......kinda fun though when they don't

mojjax

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times

Yes, I've talked to an old man in town - showed him the stick - he told me who he thinks the J. P. huston guy was . I also found a graveyard full of stones with Huston on them , there were so many ,and I was on my way to work , so I did not get to check them all out (over 50 Hustons) I'm gonna go there tomorrow with my camera . Our
    library has a huge local genealogy section , but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet .
    The Sheriff came by the other day - our horse broke out of its fenced-in area and was walking down route 1 . so I've been busy fixen fences and stuff before the storm we're supposed to get Monday .
    A scrap metal guy came by last weekend and I've been getting a pile ready for him (copper ,brass , aluminum) .......busy busy .
    But I'm planing on donating the stick to the local Historical Society when I finish researching it ( I thank You all for pointing me in the right direction !)
    Yes , txgirl , I wish the stick could talk.......kinda fun though when they don't

mojjax

DON'T FORGET TO TAKE PICS WHEN YOU HAND IT OVER........MUST SEE MUST SEE
    So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    130 times
    Banner Finds (1)

That was a fun post to help with! I'm sure glad we figured out some of the mystery... look forward to more stick people information with more stick-pics...

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    544 times

If any of the local papers or the Historical Society does a write up on it please post a link or a scan of the article. This stick has real, tangible history that can be connected to a lot of people. Not that I like bad things, but imagine if this stick was the only link to a day when a lot of people went up the mountain, and all but one came back. Shortly afterward they were all rich business owners and the politically conntected in town, but with a secret known only to them...
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    544 times

OK, Mojjax. Curiosity has the better of me again. Any new information on the stick? Thanks.
    Middenmonster

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    130 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by MiddenMonster
    OK, Mojjax. Curiosity has the better of me again. Any new information on the stick? Thanks.
    Good call MM! I really missed this post... news?

us
    Feb 2005
    MAINE
    Ace 250
    3514 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

The local historical society has a meeting the first wednesday of every month( except Jan. and Feb.) so come March I plan to bring it in and see what they think about it . I'll gladly give it to them if they want it . I have a folder with a lot of the info you all have given me , thanks !

mojjax

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    130 times
    Banner Finds (1)

The local historical society has a meeting the first wednesday of every month( except Jan. and Feb.) so come March I plan to bring it in and see what they think about it . I'll gladly give it to them if they want it . I have a folder with a lot of the info you all have given me , thanks !

mojjax
    Awesome... I know that will be pretty cool, I hope they take an interest!

Feb 2006
    Minelab Explorer ll
    33 times

Wow I can't believe I missed this post!!!! Fantastic research everyone , congrats to a great find and superb teamwork to open up this mystery. It hits close to home Thank you for posting your find.
    Holding history in our hands is a treasure in itself.
                             ~Minelab EXll~

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    544 times

OK, sorry to be like a kid at Christmas but the first Wednesday has come and gone and I'm jonesing to find out what the story is. Any updates, Mojjax? We don't want another "neighbor's hidden cache" on our hands...
    Middenmonster

ca
    Feb 2007
    Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
    A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
    3 times

To think that a stick could lead to a hotel and its owner, eventually to the following paragagh which I copied from:
    http://www.mtwashington.com/hotelinf...edit_id=38.htm

"1944 Foster Reynolds sells the Hotel and property to a Boston syndicate. As the new owners prepare to open for the season of 1944, the U.S. Government requests the use of the Hotel for an international gathering of financiers from 44 countries. The Hotel is extensively restored and modernized to host the now-famous Bretton Woods International Monetary Conference. The Conference organizes a World Bank and International Monetary Fund, sets the price of gold at $35 an ounce, and chooses the American dollar as the standard of international exchange."

An they think today's G8 Summit is a big deal? Interesting how events back then effect "us" as treasure hunters in whatever form we pursue our monetary, or historical interest.

F.
    Quote of Sir Joshua Reynolds': "There is no expedient, to which a man will not resort; to avoid the real labor, of thinking."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links