🏆 HONORABLE MENTION curious mountain stick ? THE FINAL CHAPTER !

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this stick several years ago in a barn we were tearing down in Maine . Thought it looked good enough to set aside an keep . The other day I needed a piece of wood for a project I was doing . Just before I was about to cut it , I saw inscriptions on it .

Mount Washington Party
Sept 18th 1884
Geo. W. Brown
Emma Brown
Lizzie Huston
Ester H. Huston
Jessie M. Cate
Clara H. ???
JoeL P. Huston
Geo. E. Gay
Mattie S. Robinson

Then it says - "Bought at For???y? " House

the words " bought at " and ''House" are very clear . I'm very curious about the " F " word .

I know there was a place called the ''Tip Top House " up there .

The stick is 6 feet 4 inches tall - 2 inches thick at the the top , tapering to about 1 inch at the bottom .Looks like it was shellacked a long time ago . There is a rusty staple at the the top , so I think it was used as a flag pole . They probably climbed up there and had a picnic or something back in 1884 . I just can't figure out the ''F '' word . Any ideas ? Thanks ! .....(I'm Glad I didn't cut it)

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 4,419
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 4,436
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 4,378
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 4,391

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Re: curious mountain stick ?

Don't know if this helps, but I've tweaked that image with Photoshop. It looks like the word is "Fortyan" or "Forty an". Have you tried researching the names on the stick? You might be able to track down descendants of some of those people.

Attachments

• stick.jpg
    stick.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 4,363

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

Montana Jim said:
Check this site for George & Emma Brown... Maine.

http://brown.rays-place.com/bios/george-w-maine.htm

That definitely sounds like he's the dude. If so, that stick has got to have some value to it beyond the historical. The stick can also be viewed as a "Brown record", and may be of interest to Ray, the guy who maintains the web site:

"NOTE: I will be filling in the other sections of Brown Vital Records, Ect from information at other parts of my web site and other sources. If you have Brown records of any type I will be happy to include them if sent to me, see email address below.
<snip>
[email protected]"

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

And... let me add a little more here.

I was thinking that the word your looking at is "FABYAN" so a quick google found this from the below site: "1837 Horace Fabyan opens the Mount Washington House. Renamed Fabyan House in 1872, it operates until 1951." I think this is where the stick was picked up and years line up perfectly!

http://www.mtwashington.com/hotelinformation/index.cfm?edit_id=38

Also see this cool site for great pictures from that era of the hotel wagon/coach that tourists rode from the Fabyan House and was owned by the Mt. Washington Stage Company!

http://theconcordcoach.tripod.com/id1.html

And... pictures of the Fabyan House I found at the Library of Congress...

Attachments

• fabyan.JPG
    fabyan.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 4,442

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

Montana Jim said:
And... let me add a little more here.

I was thinking that the word your looking at is "FABYAN" so a quick google found this from the below site: "1837 Horace Fabyan opens the Mount Washington House. Renamed Fabyan House in 1872, it operates until 1951." I think this is where the stick was picked up and years line up perfectly!

I think you've nailed it. And if you look carefully at the lower right Library of Congress picture I think you can see this very stick leaning up against the building next to a window on the porch... ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

mojjax...

Can you imagine tracking this guy down and finding out that he actually went to this place and maybe there is some other proof, like some old family photos of this group? Keep us posted if you choose to explore the mystery any further!

MiddenMonster may be right-on-the-money with contacting [email protected]

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

Montana Jim said:
Can you imagine tracking this guy down and finding out that he actually went to this place and maybe there is some other proof, like some old family photos of this group? Keep us posted if you choose to explore the mystery any further!

MiddenMonster may be right-on-the-money with contacting [email protected]

This stick and the history that surrounds it might also be a good idea to submit to History Detectives. For those who don't know about History Detectives, it's a show on PBS that tracks down stories and legends connected to historical artifacts. Here's a link to the show:

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/

They have one hot history detective in Elyse Luray. If she came out to your place for a visit it would be worth it, even if the stick thing didn't pan out:

elyse_luray.jpg

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Super sleuthing once again, Montana Jim!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Great ID,Montana Jim.....That will be great if this is the place and these family pics can be traced . Nice job everyone else also...

D

dugupfinds

I'm writing to History Detective as we speak.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow ! This is getting real interesting ! The stick was found in Bristol ( my home town), which is right next to Damariscotta . (I also graduated from Lincoln Academy) .
I have an extensive collection of old newspapers from this area dating back to the early 1800's . I just got the box out - the second old paper from the top of the stack - Pemaquid Messenger October 6 , 1886 has this ad on the front page . Note the name - upper right

you guys are amazing!

Attachments

• Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 4,222
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 4,312
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here are a couple more clues from a 1910 newspaper .

It seems like all these people were prominent businessmen . My girlfriend thinks she heard that Joel eventually went on to be president of the bank . There is an eccentric old man in Damariscotta named Huston Dodge , he's in his 90's now . He has a son named Joel Huston Dodge . Ironically , when I was in the process of tearing down the barn , my helper buddy quit on me .It was too much for me to do alone so I gave the rest of the barn to Mr. Dodge . He is very well known around here for his collection of old buildings and architecture that he removes an puts on his many properties . This was back in 1988/89 . I think he's a relative of some of the stick people .

I plan to go to the bank this week and ask a few questions / maybe there are some placks on the wall with the names of past bank presidents . I hope to talk to Mr. Dodge too !
It's kind of hectic this week with Christmas comming up .

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 004 (3).jpg
    Picture 004 (3).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 3,973
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 4,013

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

mojjax said:
I plan to go to the bank this week and ask a few questions / maybe there are some placks on the wall with the names of past bank presidents . I hope to talk to Mr. Dodge too !

Now a big question: If it turns out as it appears to be heading that the names on the stick are in fact the people who went on to some prominence in town, would you donate the stick to either their descendants or a local historical society? I'd be tempted to keep it, but I would be worried about being able to preserve the pencil writing. The more it's handled the more it will rub off. I would also be concerned about dust and oils collecting on it. It ain't the staff of Moses, but it does represent an important piece of history for the area, and possible region.

And do dugfinds: Are you writing to History Detectives because of this stick, or because of Elyse Luray? ;) I'd agree that either is a good reason!

AOSDC

Nov 25, 2006

I found this.....

The first hotel on Mt. Washington was the old Summit House, built in
1852 by L. M. Rosebrook, N.R. Perkins, and J.S. Hall. The Tip Top
House was built in 1853 by John H. Spaulding and others. He was part
owner of that and the Summit House, and conducted them for several
years. The first Summit house was torn down in the spring of 1884, to
give place to a new building, built in 1872, to be used as lodging
rooms for the employees of the hotel.The signal station at the Summit
was established in 1870.