🏆 HONORABLE MENTION Found a stolen loaded handgun.....

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loaded Handgun Recovered

metal-detecting-finds-loaded-handgun.jpg

I got the call on Thursday the 14th about an hour before I was to leave to go down to Kentucky to hunt with two friends and get out of the frozen north. It was Al, my local metal detector dealer. He shared that he had got a call from a Kalamazoo County detective. ( Yes there really is a Kalamazoo! ) They needed a team to look for a stolen loaded handgun. I am the president of the SW MI Seek & Search Club So Al called me to put together a team. I called the detective and got some information. I told him I could put together a few guys quickly but I couldn't come because I was going out of town. He said if I could put together a team on Monday that would be great.
So off to Kentucky to find Civil War relics and old coins I went. And old coins and relics is what we found. Fast forward to Monday morning. Five club members and myself met with a detective at 10 am. A couple hours before we started it started snowing and it was a little below freezing outside.
A short one mile drive later we were at the very trashy wooded lot where the gun was said to be thrown into. Turns out two teens had broken into some cars and stole the gun from one of them. About 45 minutes later the cops were hot on their heels so they threw the gun into this wooded lot.
The police went there the next day and with details of where the kid was when he threw it. They started their search with several law enforcement officers, one K9, and one metal detector and in five hours they could not come up with it. Our group of six club members started searching the lightly snow covered lot and quickly found there was targets all over the place. Twice I went back to the spot where it was said to be thrown from to get a visual of where it might be. We even looked into the trees to see if it had got hung up in some limbs. About 30 minutes into the hunt I heard a beep and seen the outline of the gun on the ground. I called out to the detectives up at the road and said "I got it " It was maybe 70 feet from the place it was thrown from.
metal-detecting-finds-loaded-handgun2.jpg
It was a fully loaded Ruger 380. All the guys came over and everyone wanted to hear what it sounded like under their coils. Three of them could hardly pick it up. The gun was mostly plastic except the barrel and slide that were made of steel.

The group looked around and there were several houses less than 50 yards from where the gun was found and some had kids swing sets in the yards. It sure felt good getting that out of those woods as there were also some toys found in there where the kids had been playing. No telling what might have happened if a kid had found it first.
I want to thank the Kalamazoo Law Enforcement team for calling on us to help find it. I also want to thank Tom, Keith, Charlie, Mark, and John for showing up to help in the search, and Minelab for making some awesome machines that help me to make many great finds!

Attachments

• DSC07149.JPG
    DSC07149.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC07152.JPG
    DSC07152.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 601

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal. That is an excellent use of a machine.

As much as I love guns, I hate the thought of one being loaded and unsecured in an area where children might be playing!!!

WM

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Really really glad that you and your friends took the time to find that! Definitely averted a possible tragedy if little kids had found it, besides being useful evidence. Andi

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus DMCII-Ba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you gentleman did a great thing. i hope karma or whatever pays you guys back good

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You strike me as a pro! thats pretty kewl you were able to help out the police most people dont want to waste there time with that stuff! good job on finding those relics! :occasion14:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job guys and Awesome that the police know they can count on us MD'rs to help when they need it!!!!

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm jealous. I wish I could find something like that.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good recovery on the gun. :icon_thumright:

meals55

Feb 6, 2009
Gilbertsville,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4800, T2 ltd, T2 Classic, Tarsacci, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus 2, Tesoro Compadre,Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery of that Gun...I bet the owner was happy as hell you got that back..thats a nice one

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has almost enspired me to offer my time to help in this type of thing. Never know when we MDerists can help with solving a crime. My 2500 is a brass magnet and I could use that to find casings for sure! Great jobs gents. They need to get some CLP and a brush to the pretty little Ruger!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job and its good to know there are people like you out there.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Team SWMSS! :hello2: It is sweet that you guys found it so quickly. This is great PR for MDers. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

HH

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding that. Glad a child did not find it.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got my hopes up then seen it was not mine , but good job helping them out and finding it happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread