🏆 HONORABLE MENTION WWII Era Silver ID tag recovered and returned to Vet.

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On June 4th I went metal detecting after work with my brother Jesse to a new location in Springfield PA along a hiking trail, and with my second target of the day I recovered a Sterling Silver ID tag about 5 inches down with a name inscribed on the face of it "William F Adolph", along with some numbers. At first I thought it was a medical ID bracelet. Upon cleaning it I saw it was stamped Sterling Silver and had a dedication inscribed on the back "Love Mother". I did notice the inscriptions were old font so it had some age to it.

I thought it would be fun to try and locate the owner. While researching the name, I was on the phone with a friend who recognized the name as being a local state representative. Upon researching the state rep. I found he was from Springfield Pa. So I decided to contact the state rep through his website and within 24 hours I received a call from him. Through our phone conversation he thought it may have belonged to his father who had the same name and who also was an avid hiker and runner. So we set up a time to meet at his office where I could return the ID tag.

During my meeting, the state rep examined the id tag and then telephoned his 88 year old father to find out if the bracelet was his. Turns out the Id Tag was indeed his, which had been a gift from his mother. The numbers inscribed were his military serial number from when he served during WWII in Europe. The Bracelet was a WWII era memento that had been lost many years ago and forgotten about until now, and perhaps with a message to a son from a mother who has long since passed. With so much history I was glad to have been able to return it to its owner.

Attachments

• id front.jpg
    id front.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 186
  • id tag back.jpg
    id tag back.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 183
  • pic with rep.jpg
    pic with rep.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally awesome! Congrats on the find & the return!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, Awesome that you were able to return it to the owner.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful find and story. Good for you for making the return.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for being a good ambassador to our hobby ~ I think an honorable mention is in order.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If karma had any weight to it...... you would need a truck to haul it home. Nice job!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way too cool! It would have been nice if you were able to meet the father too. Very nice story as is.

Mike

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats really cool! Nice story

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread