πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION $400 Prescription Eyeglasses Found and Returned Today.

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know eyeglasses were so expensive these days...I don't wear them (yet anyways...but prolly need them) and had no clue. I was contacted by a gentlemen today through an old acquaintance of mine whom I haven't seen in years. It seems people remember me as "the guy that metal detects". This is another example of - no good deed goes unpunished. This man lives in a rural part of Texas and on his way home from work yesterday evening he spots a little kitten on the desolate back roads to his house. He pulls over and after a short chase through the ditch he catches it. After returning home and giving the cat food and water he realized that his new pair of prescription glasses were gone from his shirt pocket. He rescues a kitten but loses his glasses. He goes back to the ditch with a flashlight but couldn't locate them.
When he called me this morning with the story I agreed to pick him up at his house so that he could show me how to get to the location. I took my shadow with a 7" coil and my Sidewinder with a 4" coil in case the weeds were thick. We get to the site and its a shallow ditch with short grass next to the road that got taller and thicker towards a ranch fence. He showed me some of the places he thought he bent down and I started scanning with the Shadow. I don't know why I didn't ask right away but about 10 minutes into the search I ask if he knew what the frames were made of...Titanium...uggh. I knew this was about to get problematic. Especially when he said that they were similar to the old pair he was wearing. However, the new glasses had frames that were smaller and lighter. His old ones wouldn't even read on the Shadow unless I was in all metal mode. I switched to the Sidewinder, put it in all metal and started gridding the ditch. Scanning in an out of the clumps of weeds and grass. Lots of signals so I just parted the grass knowing the glasses would be on the surface. After about 20 minutes I got a little blip as I felt my coil hit something in the weeds. I look down and there they were...barely visible. Luckily he had just walked through this area and didn't step on them. He was a happy guy. These glasses were only a few weeks old and he dreaded the thought of having to spend another 400.00 on a replacement pair. As usual, he offered to pay and I refused...but he made a counter offer that I couldn't turn down. Lunch at a nearby restaurant known for fantastic Mexican food. Yes, it lived up to it's reputation.

Harrys Glasses.jpg Harrys Glasses 2.jpg Harrys Glass 3.jpg

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Well done, garren!

His smile tells the story.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He looks likes a good American hard working man & I am glad to see that you helped him out. Great job!!!

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surf;34575 [B said:
Well done, garren![/B]

His smile tells the story.

He looks likes a good American hard working man & I am glad to see that you helped him out. Great job!!!

People like you help us all out good job

Thanks Guys! He was VERY happy to see those glasses!

You can tell instantly, when you meet this man, that he's good as gold. Salt of the earth...Texan to the bone.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much metal in those glasses. Great job finding them.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell instantly, when you meet this man, that he's good as gold. Salt of the earth...Texan to the bone.

I've yet to meet anyone from the Great State of Texas that spoke English that I did not like. Great people out that way!

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much metal in those glasses. Great job finding them.

Thanks SusanMN. I was getting nervous when I scanned his old pair and could only get a signal in all metal mode. I think it was the nose piece that saved us.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you found them and yes they are expensive. Frameless and a no line bi focal easily run 400. Great job helping a person out.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good job helping out.... whether you found them or not... BUT YOU DID!!!! I'm proud of you guy. Good work.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That leaf in the grass looks like a wild gourd vine?

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done...I love the look on that man's face as he puts his glasses back on! 8-)

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now if that story doesn't give you a case of the warm and fuzzies I don't know what will! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread