[HONORABLE MENTION] Found: Owner of a College Class Ring
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Mason Jarr
  • 1 Post By SusanMN
  • 1 Post By Mason Jarr
  • 1 Post By skip_a_loo

Thread: Found: Owner of a College Class Ring

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2012
    Southwest Idaho
    Minelab CTX3030 Minelab E-trac
    63 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Found: Owner of a College Class Ring

I've been waiting for something pretty significant to make a post with and I think I finally have one. A few days ago I found a whopper of a 14K college class ring. After marveling over it and thinking how much I was going to get for the gold melt value I looked inside the band and it had a name. I knew right away that a ring of this magnitude probably was being missed by the owner and I needed to try to get them together again. The next morning I called the registrar's office at the university he'd attended and asked them if they had a student by his name in the class of 1995. Of course they said they did and that he was currently serving in the Air Force, but they wouldn't give me his contact information for privacy reasons. Being a retired Air Force veteran myself I happen to have a friend that is also retired Air Force, but he works for the Department of Defense as a contractor. I called him two days ago and asked him if he could check the Air Force global e-mail listings and see if there was a person with this name (had the middle initial, also) and probably at least a Major, but most likely a Lieutenant Colonel. He got back to me a few hours later and there was ONE person in all the Air Force with the right name and rank. We both decided it had to be him so I asked my friend to send him an e-mail and ask him if he was stationed near the town I live in during his career. Well this morning the Lt Col replied to my buddy's email and said that, yes, he had been stationed here from 2002-2004. My friend called him on the phone and asked him if he'd lost anything of value while stationed here and he described the ring to a tee. So, my friend got back in touch with me and gave me the phone number and I just talked to him a little while ago. He started his military career in 1984 as an enlisted person. After a period of time he decided to get a college degree and apply to become an officer in the Air Force, and obviously that did happen. The ring was a gift from his wife when he graduated college. While stationed at this base, his daughter was a toddler and they thought she had taken the ring from the house and gone outside with it. They searched for many hours, but were never able to find it. I found the ring under about 2 inches of dirt right next to the driveway. It appears likely, due to the location, that someone had pulled into the driveway, gotten out of the car and dropped the ring right next to the driver's door. Of course, we'll never know for sure if that's the case. Anyway, the Lt Col seemed pretty emotional about getting his ring back. He and his wife have talked about the ring over the years (it was lost in 2003) and wondered what exactly happened to it. Now they'll know. I just returned from a jeweler where I had the ring cleaned, polished and placed in a velvet box. I'll get it in the mail on Monday morning and he should have it by mid-week. Even though I sure would have been happy with the $644 it was worth in melt value, I know I've done the right thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0703.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	827472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0705.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	827474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0707.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	827475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0708.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	827476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0693.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	827477  

Last edited by River Rat; Jul 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
    2003 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Great story and deed!! I will put my vote in for Honorable Mention!! Congrats!

us
    May 2012
    Dolly Sods, WV
    Ace 250, ATGOLD!! xterra 305
    59 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That's a good story. Hope to do the right thing like that myself one day.

us
    Jun 2013
    S.W.Michigan
    MPX Digital, Garrett Pro Pointer, Gator Digger, 10" & 14" Gold Pans
    27 times
    When this is over, you will sleep good at night! You are doing the right thing! It's a great find. There will be more. You will find them. Just keep at it.
    Nice job all the way around.

John

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    2915 times
    How great of you to find the owner and return the ring. If you'd had scrapped the ring, you probably would never remember what you spent the money on, but this return will stay with you for the rest of your life. I hope the good karma delivers a pile of gold to you.
    clovis97 likes this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

Jul 2013
    28 times
    What an uplifting story.
    I always believe that paying it forward and doing the right thing is rewarded in the end.
    Some call it karma others call it God.
    Either way.. it's all good!

Mary

us
    Oct 2007
    South Carolina
    E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
    635 times
    GOOD JOB!!!

You and your friend did a great job of detective work in finding the owner, It would be great if the owner would send you a photo of being reunited with his ring, maybe you could ask him to do so, that way you still have a something to treasure from finding the ring other than just the memory and doing the right thing!!!

I too put my vote in for Honorable Mention!!!
    SEEK AND YEA SHALL FIND and when you do THANK GOD!!!

us
    Nov 2012
    Southwest Idaho
    Minelab CTX3030 Minelab E-trac
    63 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by AU Seeker View Post
    GOOD JOB!!!

You and your friend did a great job of detective work in finding the owner, It would be great if the owner would send you a photo of being reunited with his ring, maybe you could ask him to do so, that way you still have a something to treasure from finding the ring other than just the memory and doing the right thing!!!

I too put my vote in for Honorable Mention!!!
    Great minds think alike! I asked him to do just that when I had him on the phone today. He says he'll send a photo as soon as he gets it. I also told him I'd take some pics of the area where I found it so he'd have an idea where it was. Thanks for all the replies. It's reassuring to hear that you all would have done the same thing.
    AU Seeker likes this.

us
    Feb 2009
    schuylkill county pa.
    whites xlt,vx3
    2463 times
    Awesome job... I would have done the same thing..

us
    in memory of my son Randy 03/19/79-10/9/2008

Oct 2008
    Colorado, Denver
    Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
    166 times
    Metal Detecting
    what a great story, lets us know what happens

us
    Dan or Daniel or Lucky if I've found Gold.

May 2012
    Mariposa, California. USA
    MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
    884 times
    Wow, a fabulous ring and a wonderful story.

us
    "Good girls are found in every corner of the Earth"

Apr 2013
    Newton, Wisconsin
    Up Graded to...GTP at Gold
    46 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great Story! Just wanted to add that Josten's Class Ring Company does have a page of lost and found..
    take a look to see if someone found your Class Ring .... (US and Canada lost and found) he's the website
    Class Rings - Jostens - Lost & Found Rings
    AU Seeker likes this.

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT PRO/Garrett Ace 250 + 8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer & Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Retired)
    1158 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    It's amazing how that dopey privacy thing makes it so difficult to return lost property these days, but you still managed to find a way around it! Well done!

"...if this is tea bring me coffee, and if it is coffee bring me tea."
    An unidentified “distinguished citizen of North Carolina, January 1840 in the “Madison Courier” of Madison, Indiana

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links