Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been waiting for something pretty significant to make a post with and I think I finally have one. A few days ago I found a whopper of a 14K college class ring. After marveling over it and thinking how much I was going to get for the gold melt value I looked inside the band and it had a name. I knew right away that a ring of this magnitude probably was being missed by the owner and I needed to try to get them together again. The next morning I called the registrar's office at the university he'd attended and asked them if they had a student by his name in the class of 1995. Of course they said they did and that he was currently serving in the Air Force, but they wouldn't give me his contact information for privacy reasons. Being a retired Air Force veteran myself I happen to have a friend that is also retired Air Force, but he works for the Department of Defense as a contractor. I called him two days ago and asked him if he could check the Air Force global e-mail listings and see if there was a person with this name (had the middle initial, also) and probably at least a Major, but most likely a Lieutenant Colonel. He got back to me a few hours later and there was ONE person in all the Air Force with the right name and rank. We both decided it had to be him so I asked my friend to send him an e-mail and ask him if he was stationed near the town I live in during his career. Well this morning the Lt Col replied to my buddy's email and said that, yes, he had been stationed here from 2002-2004. My friend called him on the phone and asked him if he'd lost anything of value while stationed here and he described the ring to a tee. So, my friend got back in touch with me and gave me the phone number and I just talked to him a little while ago. He started his military career in 1984 as an enlisted person. After a period of time he decided to get a college degree and apply to become an officer in the Air Force, and obviously that did happen. The ring was a gift from his wife when he graduated college. While stationed at this base, his daughter was a toddler and they thought she had taken the ring from the house and gone outside with it. They searched for many hours, but were never able to find it. I found the ring under about 2 inches of dirt right next to the driveway. It appears likely, due to the location, that someone had pulled into the driveway, gotten out of the car and dropped the ring right next to the driver's door. Of course, we'll never know for sure if that's the case. Anyway, the Lt Col seemed pretty emotional about getting his ring back. He and his wife have talked about the ring over the years (it was lost in 2003) and wondered what exactly happened to it. Now they'll know. I just returned from a jeweler where I had the ring cleaned, polished and placed in a velvet box. I'll get it in the mail on Monday morning and he should have it by mid-week. Even though I sure would have been happy with the $644 it was worth in melt value, I know I've done the right thing.

Attachments

• DSC_0703.JPG
    DSC_0703.JPG
    528.4 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC_0705.JPG
    DSC_0705.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_0707.JPG
    DSC_0707.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC_0708.JPG
    DSC_0708.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_0693.JPG
    DSC_0693.JPG
    934.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and deed!! I will put my vote in for Honorable Mention!! Congrats!

White Akuma

May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good story. Hope to do the right thing like that myself one day.

bigblockjohn454

Jun 4, 2013
S.W.Michigan
Detector(s) used
MPX Digital, Garrett Pro Pointer, Gator Digger, 10" & 14" Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When this is over, you will sleep good at night! You are doing the right thing! It's a great find. There will be more. You will find them. Just keep at it.
Nice job all the way around.

John

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How great of you to find the owner and return the ring. If you'd had scrapped the ring, you probably would never remember what you spent the money on, but this return will stay with you for the rest of your life. I hope the good karma delivers a pile of gold to you.

JerseyGirl71

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an uplifting story. :)
I always believe that paying it forward and doing the right thing is rewarded in the end.
Some call it karma others call it God.
Either way.. it's all good!

Mary

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD JOB!!!:notworthy:

You and your friend did a great job of detective work in finding the owner, It would be great if the owner would send you a photo of being reunited with his ring, maybe you could ask him to do so, that way you still have a something to treasure from finding the ring other than just the memory and doing the right thing!!!

I too put my vote in for Honorable Mention!!!

OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GOOD JOB!!!:notworthy:

You and your friend did a great job of detective work in finding the owner, It would be great if the owner would send you a photo of being reunited with his ring, maybe you could ask him to do so, that way you still have a something to treasure from finding the ring other than just the memory and doing the right thing!!!

I too put my vote in for Honorable Mention!!!

Great minds think alike! I asked him to do just that when I had him on the phone today. He says he'll send a photo as soon as he gets it. I also told him I'd take some pics of the area where I found it so he'd have an idea where it was. Thanks for all the replies. It's reassuring to hear that you all would have done the same thing.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how that dopey privacy thing makes it so difficult to return lost property these days, but you still managed to find a way around it! Well done! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread