πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Big Gold Ring Lost In 2009: Recovered, Returned Today!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is nothing like the feeling you get when you return something of someone's that they thought was gone forever. Last week in casual conversation with a gentleman in my hometown, I came to know that he had lost his wedding band some years ago in his pasture. I mentioned that I could probably locate it for him, but he was adamant that I would not find it, and that he had a man come out four different occasions and was unsuccessful. He also said a group of four men came out one Saturday and stayed most of the afternoon and they were unsuccessful. He claimed that he thought that they might have stolen the ring if they did happen to find it. I told him that I would love to go try and he agreed, but with no enthusiasm. Today, I had a few hours to spare, so I drove on over to his house and knocked on his door, as I was instructed, and he told me to go ahead, just to make sure to lock the gates. He went back in the house. I could tell that he was thinking that I was wasting my time. The pasture was approximately one to two acres with an electric fence surrounding, and about 15 pigeon cages. I was digging every mid 50-70 VDI on the AT GOLD and turned nothing but pigeon leg bands and pulltabs. An hour or so passed by and a pie tin of trash, and I finally got that signal I was hoping for. It was a solid, four way repeatable tone. I dug it, and immediately caught sight of the gold ring! I walked over to his house and got him to walk over with me, and he kept saying, I know you didn't find that ring.....When I showed him my hole, he knelt down and picked it up with shaky hands and smiled the biggest smile I have ever seen. He thanked me and told me how he had given up hope on that ring, and told me that it was his father's wedding band, as well as his own. He said hey Dixon, come on over to the house, so I followed him over and he handed me a fat ol' bag of fresh tomatoes as a reward.

Sometimes the reward isn't monetary, sometimes it is a good friend, and some fresh produce. Enjoy the pictures! (the last picture is of my FIRST Shield Nickel, which I dug yesterday with Evan9r in Hillsborough NC)

IMAG0631.jpg
If the AT-Gold can't sniff out the gold, it might stay in the ground
IMAG0632.jpg
Freshly dug ring
IMAG0633.jpg
The gentleman, happy, with his freshly dug ring
IMAG0634.jpg
My reward!
IMAG0630.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! Any story to go with the ring return (and the tomatoes)? ;)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is awesome that you found it long after he had given up hope. That was neat that you let him pick it up out of the hole. I usually get so excited I grab it up to make sure it is real. Nice job!

Don
HH

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FoundinNC, great story and kudos to you for your good deed. I'm sure that man will think of you every time he looks at that ring.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Good job, and great write-up!
Also, your making us (in this hobby) all look good.
Thanks for sharing your story!

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
See.....already good Juju is comin your way for your good deed. I'd guess a steady supply of maters is in your future. Way to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread