🏆 HONORABLE MENTION Two Gold Rings Found and Returned!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week I got a report from lostmystuff.net. A guy's wife had lost her ring while playing volleyball in the backyard pool. She thought that it had flown off while hitting the ball. He rented a detector and searched the yard and on the other side of the backyard fence, which was an overgrown lot consisting of mostly bare dirt from when the house was built maybe a year ago. He even simulated a ring flying off using a metal object to see how far that it may have flown, which was very far. He did me a major favor by weed eating the overgrown lot this week. After two weeks of efforts, he never found the ring.

I finally had time to head out there today to look for the ring. The nearby metal fence in his yard was interfering with my AT Pro (90+ signal), so I was able to discriminate it out. I cranked the sensitivity up to full, no discrimination other than the fence, and started swinging and walking in a grid pattern.

Within 5 minutes I got a signal, a 70. Right on the surface, partially covered by some mud was a white gold ring. It belonged to his neighbors daughter, who had lost it some time ago. She wasn't home, but he gave it to her dad. My very first ring ever returned!

2013-08-04 14.02.26.jpg

Here is picture of the first ring.

I was feeling pretty good at this point, so I continued searching in a grid pattern with a slight overlap between rows and mainly looking surface/very shallow targets. Being a dirt field behind new construction, there was very little metal garbage with made this very easy. I found a bunch of bottle caps, a nail, razor blade, and a zinc penny. About an hour into hunting on my third pass, I looked over next to a small pile of dirt and weeds and saw the ring. I didn't get a picture of it on the ground, and never actually found it with my detector, just by spotting it.

2013080495162624.jpg 2013-08-04 14.38.24.jpg

When I went to the house and gave it to his wife, she burst into tears. They were both extremely excited and happy! She offered to pay me, which I refused. I did accept a celebration beer, and on the way out she slipped me a check for an award (which I will use to pay for gas and batteries).

While walking to the car the neighbor thanked me and said "You made some people very happy today". That comment alone was better than any of my finds this year, and made this hobby so much funner 8-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great story Jeremy. Good job! :thumbsup:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful ring! Looks like 3 heart shape diamonds? That's really nice!
The smile on that womans' face, is even nicer! I always love those genuine happy smiles!
Great story and thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first two ring returns ever, both an hour apart on the same day!! The girl who I found the ring for has a friend who recently lost a ring in her yard, so they are going to send her my contact information.

Shelbe

Feb 10, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Have used a Whites that I bought when I was 17, it was broken in storage this winter, Looking at a Garret 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love the story and the smile on her face!!! You did GOOD!!:occasion14:

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spreading good cheer and happy returns is not only good for the sole, but good for the reputation of the hobby.

Awesome job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread