[HONORABLE MENTION] Two Gold Rings Found and Returned!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Jeremy S

Thread: Two Gold Rings Found and Returned!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2012
    God's Country
    Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    341 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Two Gold Rings Found and Returned!

Last week I got a report from lostmystuff.net. A guy's wife had lost her ring while playing volleyball in the backyard pool. She thought that it had flown off while hitting the ball. He rented a detector and searched the yard and on the other side of the backyard fence, which was an overgrown lot consisting of mostly bare dirt from when the house was built maybe a year ago. He even simulated a ring flying off using a metal object to see how far that it may have flown, which was very far. He did me a major favor by weed eating the overgrown lot this week. After two weeks of efforts, he never found the ring.

I finally had time to head out there today to look for the ring. The nearby metal fence in his yard was interfering with my AT Pro (90+ signal), so I was able to discriminate it out. I cranked the sensitivity up to full, no discrimination other than the fence, and started swinging and walking in a grid pattern.

Within 5 minutes I got a signal, a 70. Right on the surface, partially covered by some mud was a white gold ring. It belonged to his neighbors daughter, who had lost it some time ago. She wasn't home, but he gave it to her dad. My very first ring ever returned!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-04 14.02.26.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	839510

Here is picture of the first ring.

I was feeling pretty good at this point, so I continued searching in a grid pattern with a slight overlap between rows and mainly looking surface/very shallow targets. Being a dirt field behind new construction, there was very little metal garbage with made this very easy. I found a bunch of bottle caps, a nail, razor blade, and a zinc penny. About an hour into hunting on my third pass, I looked over next to a small pile of dirt and weeds and saw the ring. I didn't get a picture of it on the ground, and never actually found it with my detector, just by spotting it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013080495162624.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	839513 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-04 14.38.24.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	839514

When I went to the house and gave it to his wife, she burst into tears. They were both extremely excited and happy! She offered to pay me, which I refused. I did accept a celebration beer, and on the way out she slipped me a check for an award (which I will use to pay for gas and batteries).

While walking to the car the neighbor thanked me and said "You made some people very happy today". That comment alone was better than any of my finds this year, and made this hobby so much funner
    Last edited by River Rat; Aug 05, 2013 at 12:51 AM.

Fix

Oct 2012
    Southern California
    Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil. Deeptech Vista Gold. AT Max. Equinox 800.
    614 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That's a great story Jeremy. Good job!

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    8262 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That's a beautiful ring! Looks like 3 heart shape diamonds? That's really nice!
    The smile on that womans' face, is even nicer! I always love those genuine happy smiles!
    Great story and thanks for sharing!
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

us
    Feb 2012
    God's Country
    Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    341 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    My first two ring returns ever, both an hour apart on the same day!! The girl who I found the ring for has a friend who recently lost a ring in her yard, so they are going to send her my contact information.

us
    Feb 2013
    Vermont
    Have used a Whites that I bought when I was 17, it was broken in storage this winter, Looking at a Garret 350
    20 times
    Metal Detecting
    love the story and the smile on her face!!! You did GOOD!!

us
    Dan or Daniel or Lucky if I've found Gold.

May 2012
    Mariposa, California. USA
    MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
    884 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Spreading good cheer and happy returns is not only good for the sole, but good for the reputation of the hobby.

Awesome job.

us
    Nov 2010
    California
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    946 times
    Grooviest day I've seen here for quite a while! Andi

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links