πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION What Are The Odds?

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you have probably seen my post about finding a military dog tag at a swim beach and returning it after 12 years. If you haven't seen the post it can be found here.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...itary-dog-tag-found-2000-returned-2012-a.html

Me and some friends were hunting the lake near the location where that dog tag was found when we decided to hit that particular park before it closed. It was my first time back to that beach since I found the tag 12 years ago. We had about 30 minutes to hunt before the park closed at 11pm. I head out into waist deep water and the first signal I recover is another US Army dog tag. I thought that was pretty ironic. Also, with this tag, like the last one, the name is not common. I have already found a person nearby who is most likely the owner. A Facebook message has been sent. Hopefully the outcome will be like the last and I can get it back to it's owner.

EDIT: Success! Found the owner. The tag is on its way home. I'll add a screen grab of some of the dialogue.

EDIT: Dog tag received. Adding a screen grab of the last messages. This was a fun one!

Reed Dog Tag_redacted.jpg reed msgs.jpg reed msgs new_edit.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my coast guard dog tags in corpus christi texas. hope they turn up one day.

I hope they do too. It's not very often, but occasionally I make it to Corpus with my Surfmaster PI. I will certainly keep an ear open for them!

Last edited:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
AMAZING FINDS! :notworthy: Coincidence or more, quien sabe? Looks like you have a specialty from now on. Andi

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow great job on trying to return it!.

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's an awesome find.:icon_thumright: The USMC pendant that Hal found is a James Avery 925. We need to go back to that beach to see if we CAN find any more military stuff. Do you believe in DΓ©jΓ  vu Dude???

Last edited:
OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The USMC pendant that Hal found is a James Avery 925

I would never have guessed that pendant to be silver. I don't know whats in that lake but the water turns everything a funny color. Even the clad has an odd toning to it.

atprolen

Jul 25, 2013
Northern michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace350. At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas how to get ahold of rightfully owned tags found a set from ww2 can't find any leads to return

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas how to get ahold of rightfully owned tags found a set from ww2 can't find any leads to return

If they are Army you might start your search here. NARA - AAD - Fielded Search - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records). Also you could post the details in a separate thread and members that have access to Ancestry.com and other genealogy resources may be able to help.

I found three tags since I started metal detecting and I found all three owners on Facebook. I'm counting this current tag as a success already because I've gotten a reply to my initial msg and he appears to be the right person. Waiting on his confirmation reply then I'll post the details.

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That lake was used as a secret army chemical test site for years. If you think the coins have strange coloring, go back at night and check out the fluorescent six legged frogs that only have one eye in the middle of their back, or wait ten years and look at your own legs! :). Great finds and great efforts tracking down the owners!

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This turned out good! Owner has been located and the dog tag is on its way home! Sounds like it had been lost for quite a while. Here's a snippet of the messages.
reed msgs.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dog tag has been received. Here's the final messages.The redacted area was info about his address. This is the kind of "thank you" that makes a person feel good all over!

reed msg.jpg

Last edited:

atprolen

Jul 25, 2013
Northern michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace350. At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local veterans are on it . Just hope they can find rightfull owner. Thank you for your help hope some day I can return the time u put in to research

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's people like Garren that takes the time and effort to return lost items to their rightful owners and in return this gives Treasure Hunters a good name. I strongly suggest that this find should be
an "honorable mention". :thumbsup:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a dog tag at a local swimming hole - It was a chain with one dog tag and a memorial dog tag with a verse about a fallen son and a picture of him on it. I looked up the name and found the Mom & Dad living in Wisconsin - I called and talked to the Mother, It was very hard as she had recently lost her son and the Father and brother both wore matching sets of the dog tag and memorial tag in honor of their son/brother. She was crying so hard she could barely talk, though she told me that her husband had lost it while jumping off the dive platform - She was so grateful, but it was also very hard for me as I know had badly she was hurting - I sent it back to her & her husband - no return address - wanted to leave them in peace.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dog tag has been received. Here's the final messages.The redacted area was info about his address. This is the kind of "thank you" that makes a person feel good all over!

View attachment 843400

Way to go Garren!!!!!! No better feeling then the return!!!!! :bronzetrophy:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, can you imagine the flood of memories he having since you returned that tag!
Good job there, lots of karma points for your effort.
Kudos!
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread