Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Got out today for a short hunt. Went to a small pull off parking spot used to access an old swimming hole. This site has quite a bit of history and was once owned by the DuPont family ( yes, THAT DuPont family ). During the early coal mining days of the area, it was the site of a black powder mill. There is a very nice waterfall which creates the natural swimming hole. The site of the falls and surrounding land is posted with No Trespassing, but young partying people have gone here for many generations. Since I respect the owner's wishes, I detected one of the pull offs along a mountain road. I managed $1.66 in clad, the junk ear ring (complete with back) and my first class ring found. There are no stamps identifying the metal type unless GLELT means something? There is a personal inscription inside which I will keep secret for identifying purposes when I find the owner. Please contact me with tips and hints if you have any experience in this. I will return from vacation next week, so response may be a little later next week. Thanks for looking and HH.
juquvura.jpg
3u8yma6a.jpg
yme7e9av.jpg
amera8eh.jpg
ugamu4ed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! Kinda looks like a ring for winning the soccer championship unless that school is just big into soccer.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. I don't know about now, but in the late 70's, you got to pick the embellishments you wanted on your ring. The different sports, an eagle, the school mascot.....you get the picture. I suspect this girl may have played or maybe a romantic interest did. The other side has 2 hearts and the word "friends".

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Kinda looks like a ring for winning the soccer championship unless that school is just big into soccer.

when my kids graduated (2006 and 2013) the class rings were 'customizable' when you ordered them you could pick subject matters that appealed to you for the sides of the ring. great find Old Dude. hope you are able to return it

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, I found a number of rings but no class rings yet...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've returned many class rings and it's bittersweet especially when it's a huge gold men's ring but the emotional high and the happiness you bring to the person is so gratifying. I try to contact the school first and give them the year, whether it's a boys or girls, and any name or initials on the ring. I then give them my phone number. Usually within a couple days the person who lost the ring will call. Once I got a call within 15 minutes from the girls sobbing mother. She was so happy. I sometimes have trouble getting someone from the school to help me find the person so I get in touch with the firm that sells and makes the rings. If you talk to the right person, they can be very helpful. Sometimes I get someone that just doesn't care so I try a little later and usually find a person to help me. Herff Jones is the company that sells rings in many states. They usually have HJ stamped inside the ring. Good luck on the return Old Dude.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have done a little research and found the maker is GoldLance. I had never heard of them, but found several jewelers within 50 miles who offer these. The name " Callie " should make it much easier to locate the owner.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring ! Good luck on finding the owner
Glen

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring!

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty ring! I haven't had the pleasure of finding and returning one of those yet.

atprolen

Jul 25, 2013
Northern michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace350. At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nices finds. Hope u can find rightfull owner ?? Looking at picture of all finds that ear ring looks to be in a good setting. Is it a real diamond ???

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring, congrats!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nices finds. Hope u can find rightfull owner ?? Looking at picture of all finds that ear ring looks to be in a good setting. Is it a real diamond ???

Thank you. I haven't tested the earring, but in my opinion, odds are greatly against the "diamond" being real. I think I put it in with my other interesting finds and not the trash, lol.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Success!!! I returned from vacation late last night and today started trying to find the owner. I called the high school office which I hoped the ring was from this morning and told them my story, described the ring( minus the inscription inside) and left my phone # with the receptionist. I got a call from a very excited young lady who described the ring without hesitation exactly including the inscription inside ( Just Love ). I made arrangements to meet her. She is a first year teacher at the very school the ring was from, so we met there this afternoon. She was so very appreciative and happy. If you ever have doubts about returning something, let me assure you, the look and gratitude more than makes up for any monetary value you might place on an object. I have made a friend for life, I am sure. Her smile in the pic says it all. BTW, see a little story in today's finds that will show you we are definitely rewarded by our good deeds!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread