πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Return of a Relic!

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last month I found a silver relic. When I first got it out of the ground it was encase in some of that hard Texas dirt and I could only see part of an emblem and its general shape. I thought it was a flattened school ring and only after I soaked it did I see it wasn't a ring, but some kind of other jewelry like piece, probably from a bracelet or school uniform. The emblem on the face is inscribed "Decatur Baptist College 1934". There were also some initials on the back.

A quick online search revealed that Decatur Baptist College formed in the late 1800's as America's first two year college. In the mid to late 1960s it became Dallas Baptist University and the campus was moved to the current location south of Dallas, TX. The building that was the administration offices of Decatur Baptist College now houses the Wise County Historical Society Museum.

I first spoke to the Executive Director of the Wise County Historical Society Museum who said they had never seen a relic of that kind from the college and suggested I talk with Dallas Baptist University who keeps all of the student records and who maintains an archive of items from the old Decatur Baptist College. I started a conversation with Mr. Dennis Linam at Dallas Baptist University regarding the item and he also agreed he had never seen anything like it and never knew something like that existed. According to Mr. Linam the school was poor and they did not have class rings or any such things, especially one made of Sterling silver. We were able to identify the original owner of the item, but have not been able to find her. We figure the item was probably a one of a kind item that the owner or the owners family had made.

I decided to donate the item to Dallas Baptist University. Today I met with Mr. Dennis Linam (pictured right) where he will display the item with the other Decatur Baptist College items in their archives. We had a great visit and this was once again such a rewarding aspect of this great hobby.

DBC.jpg DBU Return.jpg

Last edited:

cwhunter_1

Feb 2, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab se pro, white oldy, tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! WTG, an object that even they have never seen. Hope they display it for all to see.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good follows good deeds.....well done,,,,I hope they display it nicely?

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done, Ed-D! You're paying it forward, and back, in one fell swoop.

good-karma-yoga.png

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done in preserving history whenever possible and placing it where it rightfully belongs. I hope you find a 50 lbs Gold Nugget under your pillow in the morning.

HH.

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you did a write-up for western and eastern mag. Or American digger that's an awesome relic story

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent relic recovery and a GREAT idea to donate to a museum. Well done, and BRAVO!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

R.B.

Oct 27, 2013
Princeton, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Platinum Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proud to call you a fellow MD'er. Giving back is it's own reward.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find, And Well Done on the Donation. That's what it's all about..........HH

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beautiful piece! Congrats on the find and the good luck that is sure to follow your very kind act!

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and great story.:icon_thumleft:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and return, congrats for both!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice story! Thank you for sharing. By the looks of the gentleman you made his day, week, year...etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions