πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION {Returned} Big Heavy Chain, Med I.D. (Possible Return), 2-Rings, but no Cigar

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Went to Long Beach, CA, early today for a few hours. They are moving a lot of sand around in this one area, so I will be back there again tomorrow. At one point this morning, I was following a big dozer like I was attached to it. He did leave a small wake of clad.

I was wandering around in the middle of the beach and was finding Clad, Navy Memorial Pin, Key, Token, and Ear Ring. I headed toward the towel line and found an older looking Sinker, Cig Lighter for the "no cigar", a Ring that looks like it has a piece of Rock Candy stuck in it.

I re-ground balanced and scanned in the slop area with black iron sand, found a penny in all that iron noise, got tired of that noise, I refused to turn the sensitivity down, and headed to toward a lonely Lifeguard Tower.

Found a recent pocket spill, AND THEN within a few feet from a LG Tower, I scooped a HUGE HEAVY CHAIN that got my heart moving and just put it in my pocket. Then within a couple of feet from the chain, I found what appeared to be some sort of I.D. with chain. Since I didn't have my reading glasses with me to see any hallmarks on the chain or what kind of I.D./Dog Tag thing it was, I kept on scanning thinking about that chain the whole time. Then I hit another ring, and this ring was about 15 feet from the LD Tower. This ring looks like it had a lot of work that went in to it with a big amber jewel in it, but it had green corrosion showing.

So after I got home, the big chain did not have any markings on it, didn't test for any precious metal, so I figure that it must be stainless, and both rings are costume.

BUT! The Med I.D. Tag has a Name, Phone Number with a 570 area code which is in PA, so this guy is far from home. It also says AB POS (blood type I assume) and NO PREF (I assume is no preference for something)

Anyway, I will call the phone number later and ask him if he lost anything else that day. Since the big chain and Med I.D. Tag were within a couple feet from each other, I believe he lost both at the same time.
So we'll see, a possible return from something lost in CA, returned to PA.

Good Hunting to All this Weekend, except for you people that hunt seasonally with a that cold and crap weather.

P1030883.JPG -- P1030885.JPG -- P1030881.JPG

KIMG0083.JPG -- KIMG0084.JPG

Beautiful Morning mid 50's, you can see Belmont Pier in the background if you double enlarge the pic
KIMG0085.JPG -- KIMG0086.JPG

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was a great day to get out and enjoy the environment. Nice recovery, let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
NEED HELP TRACING THIS TAG

I just was going to call what I thought was a phone number on the tag and it does not have enough numbers to be a phone number

Must be some kind of ID#

If anyone knows how to track this person down, go for it, and let me know Thanks

Last edited:

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a dog tag for military personal, name social blood type and religious affiliation, is there a base near? Google the name.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks military, but then again it might not be. the number is enough digits for social security number. like hubcap said, the 'no pref' is probably for religious preference

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!! I want to find silver or gold chain so bad!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
make sure that's not the person's social security number...probably not the best to have it... unless he has LifeLock of course :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a dog tag for military personal, name social blood type and religious affiliation, is there a base near? Google the name.

make sure that's not the person's social security number...probably not the best to have it... unless he has LifeLock of course :icon_thumleft:

I bet you guys are right, it must be military dog tags, and that is a Social Security number.

I'm going to kill the picture in my follow-up so someone doesn't steal his ID

I have two military bases real close to me.

National Guard Joint Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos, CA & Naval Weapons Station in Seal Beach, CA

I will check with the guard at the gate and see what I can come up with.

Thanks Guys

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks BHG86,

I was hoping that chain was silver or white gold. I still haven't found a quality chain.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. No Religious Preference is right as suggested.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill...I spent fours in the same area yesterday. I could tell by the building in the background of your pic. Rick, a dozer operator for the city, stopped and talked with me. Suggested I hunt an area at the north end of the beach, where he had just moved sand. He also spoke about some MD guys who had found old silver coins at the north end and that they would be grading today.

Rich

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill...I spent fours in the same area yesterday. I could tell by the building in the background of your pic. Rick, a dozer operator for the city, stopped and talked with me. Suggested I hunt an area at the north end of the beach, where he had just moved sand. He also spoke about some MD guys who had found old silver coins at the north end and that they would be grading today.

Rich

Hi Rich,

North end of what part of the beach? North of Cherry Beach parking lot? (that's the parking lot on the beach). That single LG Tower way in the background of the picture on the left in my post was several big piles of sand when I got there, found a recent pocket spill there, then the dozer mowed them down as I was following him. I don't know what you mean by north end? Downtown area?

Bill

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the Dog Tag looks similar to what I had 30 years go while in the Military. I'm certain that is a SSN on it.

You Beachhunters in SoCal. seem to have quite a deal going. Enough beach for everyone and plenty of finds.

HH

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still awesome finds! I haven't found a necklace yet either. You guys in CA have the dozers just scraping all the sand around so you can get to the good stuff, lucky! HH! I will be going out MD'ing Sun, temp will be 30 for a high and a stiff wind! Defrosting myself after will be the fun part, blow touch anyone?

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Still awesome finds! I haven't found a necklace yet either. You guys in CA have the dozers just scraping all the sand around so you can get to the good stuff, lucky! HH! I will be going out MD'ing Sun, temp will be 30 for a high and a stiff wind! Defrosting myself after will be the fun part, blow touch anyone?

Thanks Msbeepbeep,

Don't forget your electric socks ... I found your song that you listen to on the way to MD :)

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RETURNED Military I.D. Today, Scooped Up in Beach Sand 11/22/13

-
Will, I finally found, Her! The story unfolds like this:

On Monday 11/25/13. I took the Military ID (Dog Tag with SS#) over to the Administration Building at the National Guard Joint Forces Training Base, in Los Alamitos by my home.

They check the Social Security Number to confirm her (Mary) and would only tell me that she lived in Long Beach in 1996 at the time she joined the Army. They did try to the phone number they had listed, but it was a bad number.

So with that bit of information I did an additional Google Search to no avail, and decided to pay the .95 cents to peoplefinders.com. That showed a history of eight different addresses, two phone numbers, plus Possible Relations that showed two names. Both phone numbers did not work, so I did a Google Search on one of the Relations that was listed that had the same last name as Mary. I found a Facebook page for Christall and sent her an email yesterday. As of this morning, no response from Christall.

So this morning I went to the latest address shown from peoplefinders.com, AND! Ding! Ding! Ding! Mary answered the door. She was very grateful and said that her daughter was playing with it while they were at the beach. I asked Mary if she lost anything else at the beach that day, and she said no. I showed her the heavy silver color chain I found and she said that it did not belong to her. So she let me take a couple of picture of her and that was it.

KIMG0090.JPG -- KIMG0089.JPG

The link below is the Original Thread on 11/22/13 when I found the Military ID

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/387668-big-heavy-chain-med-i-d-possible-return-2-rings-but-no-cigar.html

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG on not giving up and some good patience. Very nice of you to go the extra mile and return the dog tag to her!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG So Cal glad to see she got her tags back.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on not giving up and some good patience. Very nice of you to go the extra mile and return the dog tag to her!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

WTG So Cal glad to see she got her tags back.

You are a good soul to take that kind if time to return the item!

Thank You Guys for your kind words,

It's funny ... it seems like the more Good Karma I get, the more junk jewelry I find.

I'm way over do to break out of this slump!

Maybe I should try reverse Karma and MD National Parks :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread