Danwell

Feb 7, 2014
FB,TX
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 hour hunt gives up ten rough looking wheats and a Navy Medal of some sort. The name on the back is clearly visible. Any suggestions on how to locate the owner other than the phone book? WP_20140405_001.jpg WP_20140405_003.jpg WP_20140405_007.jpg WP_20140405_008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google..? that is my go-to..but well done! and awesome pics..love the stuff in the ground! ddf

OP
OP
D

Danwell

Feb 7, 2014
FB,TX
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on the Navy Medal. Not only did I discover the medal, I discovered the history of the Navy Medal of Good Conduct and what it meant to the ones who received it. I was able to track down the next of kin. It was the daughter in law of the service man. We spoke for a while on the phone and she told me a bit of her family history. Her husband, who was the son of the service man, had passed away 9 years ago and her emotions ran high when she said he would be amazed to learn of this. The woman has two grown children with family's of there own and that they were both excited when she told them about the medal. The man who had originally received the medal was and still is a huge part of this family's life. I will be mailing the medal off today! For those of you who have never had this experience I hope you get the chance. For those who have, know exactly how it feels. It's funny...I think of treasure as an object found below the soil that has not been seen or held for years. It's nice to be reminded that the word "treasure" can be used as a verb! HH to you all!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's cool. great return!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I vote Honorable Mention.
Danwell, I know the feeling (returned a couple of WW II identity discs --service tags).
Monetary value of any found coin pales compared to the value experienced in returning an object (such as yours) to the heirs.
Well done!!
Don....

OP
OP
D

Danwell

Feb 7, 2014
FB,TX
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don,The acknowledgement is greatly appreciated!

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done! You make us proud to be detectorists! The grandchildren I'm sure will be ecstatic to have such an important momento of their grandfather. Did the daughter-in-law have any idea of the existence of the medal before? and if so, have a story of how it was lost?

Update on the Navy Medal. Not only did I discover the medal, I discovered the history of the Navy Medal of Good Conduct and what it meant to the ones who received it. I was able to track down the next of kin. It was the daughter in law of the service man. We spoke for a while on the phone and she told me a bit of her family history. Her husband, who was the son of the service man, had passed away 9 years ago and her emotions ran high when she said he would be amazed to learn of this. The woman has two grown children with family's of there own and that they were both excited when she told them about the medal. The man who had originally received the medal was and still is a huge part of this family's life. I will be mailing the medal off today! For those of you who have never had this experience I hope you get the chance. For those who have, know exactly how it feels. It's funny...I think of treasure as an object found below the soil that has not been seen or held for years. It's nice to be reminded that the word "treasure" can be used as a verb! HH to you all!

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and WTG on the research and return. I knew it was a Good Conduct medal when I saw it and glad you got one with the man's name on the back. I got mine in the 80's and it isn't inscribed.

dirtydig

Oct 7, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
A T Pro, ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wtg! i hope one day i can do this. wish this was how the world saw us!

OP
OP
D

Danwell

Feb 7, 2014
FB,TX
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done! You make us proud to be detectorists! The grandchildren I'm sure will be ecstatic to have such an important momento of their grandfather. Did the daughter-in-law have any idea of the existence of the medal before? and if so, have a story of how it was lost?

She wasn't aware of the medal but she new of the location I found it. She said her husband mentioned it all the time. I was wondering if the medal was ever replaced considering the date was 1939 and he eventually retired with the Navy.

OP
OP
D

Danwell

Feb 7, 2014
FB,TX
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and WTG on the research and return. I knew it was a Good Conduct medal when I saw it and glad you got one with the man's name on the back. I got mine in the 80's and it isn't inscribed.

I learned while researching the medal that the inscription was done by hand until 1940. In an effort to save money during the war, the went to a stamping machine until approx. 1954 when all inscription ended. Which made this medal even more meaningful considering it was one of the last to be inscribed by hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread