πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Ring return with a little lesson

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was water hunting yesterday for the first time this year.I was having a good time,just happy to be out.I was finding the usual stuff... tabs,hair pins,clad,and the mandatory junk hoop earring.I usually dig all signals in the water,including iron. I was approached by a guy who said his friend had just lost his wedding band on the dry sand.I met the guy who lost the ring,he was standing in one spot,and said he wasn't going to move because he knew he was close to where it hit the sand. He was throwing a football to his son,when it slipped off his finger and hit the corner of his sun glasses and bounced into the sand.I asked what it was made of,and he said white gold. I had my CZ21 in zero disc,the first thing that I found was a part of a rusty key chain that gave the iron grunt.The next signal was close to the last one,it was about six feet from where he was standing. This signal also gave the iron grunt,but I dug it anyway. It was the ring,and I was shocked by the signal.When he was done hugging me,I asked him to let me scan it again,and sure enough when it was flat I got the mid tone. I assume it was on edge,or poss near more iron? How many good targets have we all scanned right over,and never had a clue? It's always a nice feeling ,when you can make a successful return. Happy Hunting!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on Ya :occasion14:

And a good reminder for digging it all :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was water hunting yesterday for the first time this year.I was having a good time,just happy to be out.I was finding the usual stuff... tabs,hair pins,clad,and the mandatory junk hoop earring.I usually dig all signals in the water,including iron. I was approached by a guy who said his friend had just lost his wedding band on the dry sand.I met the guy who lost the ring,he was standing in one spot,and said he wasn't going to move because he knew he was close to where it hit the sand. He was throwing a football to his son,when it slipped off his finger and hit the corner of his sun glasses and bounced into the sand.I asked what it was made of,and he said white gold. I had my CZ21 in zero disc,the first thing that I found was a part of a rusty key chain that gave the iron grunt.The next signal was close to the last one,it was about six feet from where he was standing. This signal also gave the iron grunt,but I dug it anyway. It was the ring,and I was shocked by the signal.When he was done hugging me,I asked him to let me scan it again,and sure enough when it was flat I got the mid tone. I assume it was on edge,or poss near more iron? How many good targets have we all scanned right over,and never had a clue? It's always a nice feeling ,when you can make a successful return. Happy Hunting!

Yep my second Diamond ring find (18K White Gold Engagement ring) came up in nail range on My Sovereign.

another Lesson, Pictures :tongue3: we love Pictures :laughing7:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to the river tomorrow to help a man find his wedding ring. He lost it off his docks several years ago and I'm renting a wetsuit so I can handle the cold water. The air temp is in the high 70's to low 80's, but I can't stand the water temps around high 50's to low 60's with just wearing clothes and under armor. I tried it several weeks ago and couldn't get past chest deep and this will be almost over my head and that's where the wetsuit comes in. It's down the road from the public swim area I detect and I hope to get out deeper toward where the old life guard stand used to be after looking for his ring. I've been trying to do this since last year, but the water was too deep for my chest waders and after the initial visit, I never could get our schedules to work out since this is just a vacation home. Praying I can recover this ring for this man and his wife and give our hobby some good PR. I'll be freezing in the water sometimes and young teenagers and kids will be swimming. I don't know if it's my anemia or age or both, but I can't handle cold water.

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and always happy to hear when people approach us to ask for help in finding something. I finally determined a year or so ago that gold can be found at just about any signal ID/sound. Used to be, as I started finding more and more gold I thought, ok gold is coming up like "this". But eventually I started digging everything and man was I surprised by the odd signals that would turn out to be gold. Just like you said, man o man, what have I missed? Oh well...

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Nice work.
That last sentence you mention scanning right over.
That's why beginners luck isn't just a saying, it's real.
Beginners dig everything.
After you've been doing this for awhile you get tired of digging everything.
The machine doesn't discriminate. Your mind discriminates.
I can't imagine how many nice targets Iv'e never dug.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work.
That last sentence you mention scanning right over.
That's why beginners luck isn't just a saying, it's real.
Beginners dig everything.
After you've been doing this for awhile you get tired of digging everything.
The machine doesn't discriminate. Your mind discriminates.
I can't imagine how many nice targets Iv'e never dug.

yep ! as much as I insist I dig everything,
My inner Mind/Hearing may not know this :laughing7:
and ignore certain signals automatically

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My At/Pro died on me at the river and could not be revived. It happened at their dock, but I assured him and his wife they would be my first stop when I got my At/Pro back from Garrett. I was supposed to take the wetsuit back today but called and told the man at the dive shop I would bring it Thursday and pay two more days rental. I can't use it, but because of bad weather in our area today and tomorrow, I'm staying off the roads except in case of emergency. HH.

The cold water bugs me too! Best of luck on finding the ring fongu!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was two days late getting my wetsuit back to the dive shop and he didn't charge me a dime extra because of the bad weather.
Good to know I found a dive shop I can depend on and they cut me some slack. At/Pro arrived at Garland Texas Monday 10:37 am, but haven't heard from them. I suspect they have lots of stuff ahead of me with all the detectors they make now and in the past. I had hoped to get out with my GTI-2500, but my Mama has been extremely sick and I couldn't even cut my grass this week. Maybe next week.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find and return!

On the beach, I dig everything. This philosophy has awarded me with many fine jewelry finds - you never really know unless you dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions