Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back at the beginning of April I had posted on Face Book a picture of some old coins I had found. One of my Face Book friends commented on the photo and said that she liked the coins and mentioned that she had lost a class ring when she was a girl. I had graduated with this lady back in 1970 and that was the year she lost the ring. I told her I would be glad to look for the ring and asked if she still lived in this area (NW PA). She told me that she now lives in North Carolina but her sister still lives in the house where she lived when she lost the ring. After giving me her sisters address and phone number she told me that she had lost the ring while sled riding on a hill across the road from where she lived.

It could also have been lost in the woods behind the garage.

I could tell how disappointed she still was about loosing the ring and how she wished she had it back.

It sounded like a large area to search so I told her I would look for it over the summer. I made a trip to do my first search just before we went on vacation in mid-April. I decided to search the section that was once an open sled riding hill first because I knew that the brush would soon be too high to hunt there. This first hunt only produced shot gun shell bases, shredded aluminum cans, hot rocks and other junk, I probably only covered about 10% of the area. Some of the area would not be able to be hunted because it was covered with thick thorn bushes. I’ve found many rings in the past but I had my doubts about finding this ring.

After I got home from vacation I returned for another attempt. I picked up the hunt where I had left off the first time on the old sliding hill. After about 20 minutes I got a promising signal in the 30’s VDI range. Down about 4 inches I spotted the ring. A root from a near by tree had grown right through the middle of the ring. I was very surprised and happy that I had found the ring. I chopped through the root and retrieved the ring with the root still intact.

I went back to the house to show the sister the ring and root. They took pictures.

I asked them for my friends address so I could send her the ring and they asked me if I would like to give it to her myself, she would be coming for a visit in about a month. We agreed to keep the finding of the ring a secret until she comes back home. They will then contact me to set up a meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
01.jpg RETURNS ARE ALWAYS AWESOME - BUT ROOT THRU THE RING IS COOL AS HECK :thumbsup:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats pretty amazing! To find it w a root right thru it? Amazing

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and backstory! I love the root through the ring. She is going to fall over when you giver her the ring back!

Good deeds like this are what keeps this world of ours a nice place!

Kudos to you for giving your time.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go. You are as happy as the owner. Thank God there are people like you around!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Shrecky; CONGRATS on finding that ring. Your a Hero. Gives me an idea for this Forum. Why not have a section here that contains ALL of the returned rings / valuables stories. I think this will bode well for us ALL as treasure hunters here. What say you. I'll PM the moderator ok. PEACE:RONB

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! The pics with the root through it are great! Make sure and get pics or better yet, a video of the return. That is going to be one happy lady! If you do get a video, don't let the wife see. You're sure to get a hug and probably kisses too, lol. Thank you for doing the right thing.:notworthy:

Last edited:

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Schrecky .............. good stuff I would say !!!!!!! Great job !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you going to Give it Back with the Root Through it!!! I would Chug Have Her sister take A Video of the Return It would be Great to Watch

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great story, and I love how the ring was found with a large root through it. You should have someone make a video of presenting the ring to your friend, and post it here of course. Nice job!!

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Between the stories and the photos, I'd rate this as one of the better posts on this website in a long time. Thank you sir!
PS, keep us posted about the ring return

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions