πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION 750 GOLD Ring, Detailed Silver Ring, DL & Debit Card Return

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Huntington Beach has been good to me lately. For three hours this morning I started working the break between dry and wet sand. Found some kids stuff and coinage, then I decided to find an area to work slow and deep. I chose a high foot traffic area in the dry sand and work very, very slowly sanding down my coil cover to get extra depth. I've destroyed three coil covers in 8-months with this method. It takes a ton of patience and concentration to scan slow and deep and with my self proclaimed ADD it's very challenging to say the least :)

The 750 Gold Ring could have been a deep pull tab and I got lucky. The two wheat pennies (1944 & 1945) could have been a very deep rusted bottle tops. I tested the gold ring with my 18k acid and it tested 18k, then I tested it with my 22k acid, and it tested good for 22k also, so who knows. But it's a keeper.

That silver ring was just a faint high tone blip on my radar until I pushed the coil down in the sand while sliding it back and forth. After pushing sand out of the way for several inches with the coil, I got a good signal that repeated.

Huntington Beach runs the beach cleaning machine almost daily and I saw the edge of the Minnesota Driver's License sticking out of the clean flat sand. I made a quick swing of the scoop and had a DL and Debit card. No telling how long they have been there. I made a scan of the area and nothing else sounded. I will send them out in the mail today with a short note of where and when I found them.

Thanks for Looking - HH
2222.JPG -- 1111.JPG -- 3333.JPG

4444.JPG -- 5555.JPG -- 6666.JPG

Last edited:

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
congrats....and i really like the detail in the silver ring.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! What machine were you using?

Three Bears

Greenie
Apr 30, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job....

Great find and a "keep at it" attitude. reference the beach cleaning machines - do they pick up coins, rings etc, or are the holes to big in their screens? :dontknow: ???

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hi Three Bears ... They use a couple different beach cleaning machines at my local beaches. They have a rotating belt type (like a conveyor belt) that dumps the trash into a hopper. They have a rake type that is basically long spikes spread about two inches apart that just drag in the sand and they dump it in a pile after each pass of the beach, then a loader picks it up later.

Huntington Beach uses the rake type because they can cover a lot of ground quickly. The rake machine goes about 10 MPH. All coins and rings will go through both machines and not be picked up unless they get caught in trash or larger items. But at the same time, bottle tops and pull tabs are left behind also.

beach clean2.jpg -- beach clean1.jpg -- beach clean3.jpg

Last edited:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi redcobra ... I was using my AT Pro today, but this is one of the areas that I will go back to with my ATX when my swing arm heals :)

You don't have problems in the wet sand with the ATP? I have to get down your way soon and pick up some pointers. Usually use the Excal in the wet and ATP in the dry. Can't seem to balance the ATP enough to use it in the wet.

BTW- I found a ring following behind a rake in Santa Monica. Stainless steel but still a ring so I can verify they drop most everything lol.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have problems in the wet sand with the ATP? I have to get down your way soon and pick up some pointers. Usually use the Excal in the wet and ATP in the dry. Can't seem to balance the ATP enough to use it in the wet.

BTW- I found a ring following behind a rake in Santa Monica. Stainless steel but still a ring so I can verify they drop most everything lol.

I run the AT Pro wide open without a ground balance, always. On the damp sand higher up on the slope is not much of a problem with mineralization (iron sound) on most beaches (except for Long Beach, CA). The wet sand mineralization gives me a headache, although I can pick out medium to high tones through the mineralization iron sound, but I avoid it and refuse to dummy down the machine to lose depth.

Congrats on your ring ... I love seeing a ring in my scoop, no matter what metal it is.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run the AT Pro wide open without a ground balance, always. On the damp sand higher up on the slope is not much of a problem with mineralization (iron sound) on most beaches (except for Long Beach, CA). The wet sand mineralization gives me a headache, although I can pick out medium to high tones through the mineralization iron sound, but I avoid it and refuse to dummy down the machine to lose depth. Congrats on your ring ... I love seeing a ring in my scoop, no matter what metal it is.

Interesting. So you drop the balance down to zero? Thanks for the info.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think he means he runs the ground balance at zero does he? I think he means he just doesn't do an auto ground balance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread