Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Made a friend ..and a few enemies

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    10903 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (4)

Ring Made a friend ..and a few enemies

just got back from short trip to Jamaica
    2nd day there - my gal and I drove to one of the tourist towns at one of the cruise ports
    I hit a popular tourist beach - after hitting one small section and only coming up with a silver ring and a few junkers ...
    I decided to move farther down towards one of the resorts. while walking around an area where there were boats for hire -
    this gentleman with brochures in his hands approaches me and starts yelling "Sir...sir!"
    Now I have my headphones on and I just want to get back in the water - he says he wants to ask me something .
    Instead of trying to sell me something ...he asks if I can find his "married ring" which is what they call their wedding bands
    I ask suspiciously where he lost it and he says down farther in the water
    Now I'm thinking he heard about a tourist loss and he knows around where it is and he is going to claims it
    When I asked him to describe it - he was very vague
    After walking about 200 yrds ...we arrive at the spot - he tells me its about waist deep and there is a large rock he placed where he thought he dropped it
    I jump in and I find the rock - problem is there are 2 locals snorkeling all around it - so I cant really swing
    Now he did not tell me who these guys were ,but they supposedly know him and have been fanning for it the last 2 days
    I guess he had told bunch of the locals hanging round or it spread like wild fire
    BUT - they aren't looking for it for him --the old rule "finders keepers - losers weepers" applies here
    If they were to find it - they would either just take off and sell it or they would offer him to buy it back
    I go around the rock (hunk of coral actually) -nothing
    I spread out from it and get a good blast - I think I got it - the 2 snorkelers see me getting ready to scoop and move in
    turned out to be a recently lost coin - move out deeper - get another blast -- they move in again - I scoop and come up with a huge earing
    I tell them - show them - "its a big earing" - one tells the other -"earing" - the word ring is heard and everyone perks up on shore
    I tell him its a junk earing and he tells everyone - "its just an earing!"
    I get a couple of bottle caps -and show them s they don't think I have anything to hide
    They start drifting away from me - I move in shallow in front of the rock and get another surface like blast and know this could be it
    I click from all metal to ID mode and get high tone (which on CZ21 is good tone) I wait till both guys turn away from me
    I scoop just a few inches off the top and see gold band slide down - they turn towards me and I say -"another bottle cap "
    I leave it in my scoop and drift out a little deeper - when I see them both turn away - I quickly reach in and put it on my finger
    I know if I show these guys - there's a good chance they are going to try and get it from me and claim reward or just run off
    I keep hunting around and start heading away from them - but I know I have to produce the goods - so I get in the shallows and
    take it off and make like I pulled from scoop - one comes running over as I hold the "precious" between my thumb and index finger
    as he approaches - he has his gaze focused on the prize - not even looking at me - I then placed it back on my finger - the smile disappears from his face
    He yells to the other guy still face down - and then #####es to him - "It wasn't near that rock"
    I then exit the water - looking for the owner - a guy on the beach asks if I found it - "Yes I did"
    he says Lesga -the owner - is sitting under a palm with others around the corner - him yells - "He found it!"
    I ask Lesga - what is marked inside - and he says his name and I hand it to him and it fit like a glove
    Others in the crowd ask "you are just going to give it to him?" "You are not even going to ask for a reward?"
    I tell them "No...I return stuff all the time and never take a reward" -of course they think Im crazy
    I see others are amazed that I found it and that others are #####ed - others had been trying to find it also
    some are mumbling - one guy walks by me and says one of the guys looking for it was going to buy a used car if he found it
    The owner asks if he can buy me and my family lunch - I told him that a handshake was good enough - but if he ended up back down
    the other end of the beach - I'd love a pic of me returning it - I did not think I'd see him again but later on when I decided to call it
    quits - he showed up and I got a few pics
    he had my girlfriend take some with his phone for him too ...seems he lost it a week ago and he and his wife were having a rocky time already
    She thinks he sold it or traded it and was going to throw him out of the house --so he wanted a pic of the "great white hunter" to prove that
    he did in fact lose it and needed pic as proof --so it was all good
    I confirmed all of the story with a guide named Charlie that we were talking to on the beach that has known Lesga for years
    I did not get any other gold that day - but not to long after the return - I did find a large and heavy silver chain with cross and 2 silver bracelets
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jamaicareturn.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	1008385
    Last edited by River Rat; Jun 13, 2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Dec 2010
    Minelab GT; Sov Elite
    3759 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Great post, Casper!

Lorraine
    CASPER-2 likes this.
    Quod facis bene fac

Charter Member
    us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8292 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Great story.

Karma will embrace you.
    CASPER-2 likes this.
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    10903 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    Great story.

Karma will embrace you.
    I LIVE FOR KARMA
    have to get every thing together to do a proper post - but I did get 20 rings on trip - not all gold - but I did ok
    Sandman and AC1955 like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Jan 2007
    Cape Cod, Massachuestts
    Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Troy (X2 X5), Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, 5900, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8"
    354 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Way to go...showing the greatness of our hobby to the non-believers.
    CASPER-2 likes this.

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2337 times
    Nice return Casper!

us
    Apr 2014
    Tejas
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer
    32 times
    Totally awesome story and appreciate you writing it up. This is the kind of stuff I like to tell others about. Keep up the great spirit!
    CASPER-2 likes this.

us
    Shawn

Apr 2012
    Saint Marys Georgia
    Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
    391 times
    Great story......nice return. I would have taken the lunch though....
    CASPER-2 likes this.
    2013 Totals

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3944 times
    Nice post Casper, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.
    CASPER-2 likes this.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Anita

Apr 2012
    New Hampshire & Maine
    V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
    345 times
    Great story and another plus for all of us treasure hunters!

Anita
    CASPER-2 likes this.
    "You'll never find your gold on a sandy beach". - Jim Steinman (musician)
    You can bet he never used a metal detector!!!

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4497 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Nice trip and even nicer gold...congrats...too bad the sketchy dudes messed with you.
    CASPER-2 likes this.

ca
    May 2014
    Ace 250
    194 times
    That's a great story - with the sketchy dudes and all, I'd have given up before I started. You done good!
    CASPER-2 likes this.

bs
    Ex Military

Jan 2013
    Long Island, Bahamas
    Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B
    3176 times
    Shipwrecks
    Casper, you are a champion!
    CASPER-2 likes this.
    Follow Your Dreams.........I did.

us
    Nov 2010
    California
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    939 times
    Great return & great adventure story! Maybe even saved the guy's marriage. Andi
    CASPER-2 likes this.

Mar 2014
    MA, South Shore
    Garrett AT Pro (Thanks Big Boy Hobbies) Makro Pinpointer
    175 times
    Great job Casper! Fun story - love the shirt btw lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links