NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just got back from short trip to Jamaica
2nd day there - my gal and I drove to one of the tourist towns at one of the cruise ports
I hit a popular tourist beach - after hitting one small section and only coming up with a silver ring and a few junkers ...
I decided to move farther down towards one of the resorts. while walking around an area where there were boats for hire -
this gentleman with brochures in his hands approaches me and starts yelling "Sir...sir!"
Now I have my headphones on and I just want to get back in the water - he says he wants to ask me something .
Instead of trying to sell me something ...he asks if I can find his "married ring" which is what they call their wedding bands
I ask suspiciously where he lost it and he says down farther in the water
Now I'm thinking he heard about a tourist loss and he knows around where it is and he is going to claims it
When I asked him to describe it - he was very vague
After walking about 200 yrds ...we arrive at the spot - he tells me its about waist deep and there is a large rock he placed where he thought he dropped it
I jump in and I find the rock - problem is there are 2 locals snorkeling all around it - so I cant really swing
Now he did not tell me who these guys were ,but they supposedly know him and have been fanning for it the last 2 days
I guess he had told bunch of the locals hanging round or it spread like wild fire
BUT - they aren't looking for it for him --the old rule "finders keepers - losers weepers" applies here
If they were to find it - they would either just take off and sell it or they would offer him to buy it back
I go around the rock (hunk of coral actually) -nothing
I spread out from it and get a good blast - I think I got it - the 2 snorkelers see me getting ready to scoop and move in
turned out to be a recently lost coin - move out deeper - get another blast -- they move in again - I scoop and come up with a huge earing
I tell them - show them - "its a big earing" - one tells the other -"earing" - the word ring is heard and everyone perks up on shore
I tell him its a junk earing and he tells everyone - "its just an earing!"
I get a couple of bottle caps -and show them s they don't think I have anything to hide
They start drifting away from me - I move in shallow in front of the rock and get another surface like blast and know this could be it
I click from all metal to ID mode and get high tone (which on CZ21 is good tone) I wait till both guys turn away from me
I scoop just a few inches off the top and see gold band slide down - they turn towards me and I say -"another bottle cap "
I leave it in my scoop and drift out a little deeper - when I see them both turn away - I quickly reach in and put it on my finger
I know if I show these guys - there's a good chance they are going to try and get it from me and claim reward or just run off
I keep hunting around and start heading away from them - but I know I have to produce the goods - so I get in the shallows and
take it off and make like I pulled from scoop - one comes running over as I hold the "precious" between my thumb and index finger
as he approaches - he has his gaze focused on the prize - not even looking at me - I then placed it back on my finger - the smile disappears from his face
He yells to the other guy still face down - and then #####es to him - "It wasn't near that rock"
I then exit the water - looking for the owner - a guy on the beach asks if I found it - "Yes I did"
he says Lesga -the owner - is sitting under a palm with others around the corner - him yells - "He found it!"
I ask Lesga - what is marked inside - and he says his name and I hand it to him and it fit like a glove
Others in the crowd ask "you are just going to give it to him?" "You are not even going to ask for a reward?"
I tell them "No...I return stuff all the time and never take a reward" -of course they think Im crazy
I see others are amazed that I found it and that others are #####ed - others had been trying to find it also
some are mumbling - one guy walks by me and says one of the guys looking for it was going to buy a used car if he found it
The owner asks if he can buy me and my family lunch - I told him that a handshake was good enough - but if he ended up back down
the other end of the beach - I'd love a pic of me returning it - I did not think I'd see him again but later on when I decided to call it
quits - he showed up and I got a few pics
he had my girlfriend take some with his phone for him too ...seems he lost it a week ago and he and his wife were having a rocky time already
She thinks he sold it or traded it and was going to throw him out of the house --so he wanted a pic of the "great white hunter" to prove that
he did in fact lose it and needed pic as proof --so it was all good
I confirmed all of the story with a guide named Charlie that we were talking to on the beach that has known Lesga for years
I did not get any other gold that day - but not to long after the return - I did find a large and heavy silver chain with cross and 2 silver bracelets
jamaicareturn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great post, Casper!:hello2:

Lorraine

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story.

Karma will embrace you.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story.

Karma will embrace you.
I LIVE FOR KARMA :thumbsup:
have to get every thing together to do a proper post - but I did get 20 rings on trip - not all gold - but I did ok

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Way to go...showing the greatness of our hobby to the non-believers.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice return Casper!

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally awesome story and appreciate you writing it up. This is the kind of stuff I like to tell others about. Keep up the great spirit!

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story......nice return. I would have taken the lunch though....:laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Casper, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.:occasion14:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and another plus for all of us treasure hunters!

Anita

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice trip and even nicer gold...congrats...too bad the sketchy dudes messed with you.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story - with the sketchy dudes and all, I'd have given up before I started. You done good! :hello2:

Beepbeep13

Mar 15, 2014
MA, South Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Thanks Big Boy Hobbies) Makro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Casper! Fun story - love the shirt btw lol

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attaboy for sure.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I enjoyed reading your metal detecting adventure; very nice return.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was one good deed you really had to work hard for - great story! :thumbsup:

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OUTSTANDING story! Honorable "Deception" badge award from me as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread