🏆 HONORABLE MENTION Gold Ring Returned...Lost for 44 years !!!

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week I had posted that I had found a 10K Gold Mens Class Ring from 1970 at a local high school. I was able to look up the year book for that date and came up with three matches with the same initials from that class. Initials R.G.H. was all I had. Looking at the white pages online there was only one that had a middle initial of G. no phone though......:BangHead: It said below his name "known relatives" I clicked through those and was able to get one phone number. Wouldn't you know it ended up being his son's house and I talked with his daughter in law who immediately forwarded my phone number to her father in law. Today I met up with him and returned his ring. He offered it back to me twice and was actually beside himself about it's return. It's a hard thing to explain, someone returning something after being lost for so long. He thought he had lost it at the carnival and had no idea it was lost were I had found it.

As it turns out he grew up in the house I had purchased five years ago. I was able to get a lot of local history and a very good lead on an old log cabin real close to me. It was my first ring return and I'm glad I did it instead of taking it off to be melted. He's going to have it fixed and wear as a pinky ring. He owns a Campsite / Marina locally and it's really ritzy, Gated and Guarded, He said I was welcome to detect the grounds and beach anytime I chose. I didn't get any pictures of him holding it, (It just didn't seem right to do so.) He kept rolling it around in his hand, you could tell he was remembering the past. We drank a couple beers together and talked for over an hour, shook hands and I was gone.

I could not help but to feel humbled as I drove away...... A single tear escaped my grasp, chasing the wrinkles of time as I reflect on a youth past.

Attachments

• 20140624_184017.jpg
    20140624_184017.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 20140624_172945-1.jpg
    20140624_172945-1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool, it is hard to describe to anyone the look on someone's face when you hand them something that they had lost years before...but you won't ever forget it! congrats on the return.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a good guy for returning it, I'm sure you made his day.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
These are why there's an Honorable Mentions page. When you do that kind of good both for someone and our detecting community you deserve mention. Thank you.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You deserve the good feelings that come with returning that ring. So much more rewarding than the melt value of the gold. Well written story too.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really is what it's about right there ! Thanks for making the effort - hopefully more of us will try harder to do likewise .

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are a good person. My the gold rain upon you!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done. Hope the information about the old log cabin bears fruit. Plus, he's letting you hit the campground. You're way ahead on this one. Hope good karma brings you a special find.

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories like this are just wonderful and I hope I have the pleasure of returning a lost item to its rightful owner some day!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome good karma! Now you have good hunting grounds! WTG!!!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome story!, I returned a ring lost for only a year and it felt good, 44 years is unbelievable!, congrats and good on ya for finding the owner and returning it!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's way cool, great thread, thanks for sharing!

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
awesome...I would love to return something to someone like that.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story! Thank you for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread