Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt a cotton field next to a friends farm where an old house had once been. Didn't find much on this trip but the cotton is already pretty high so we only hunted in the wide rows. We'll go back after they harvest. I did, however, turn up an ID bracelet with a mans name engraved on it. For those that know me then you know how much I love finding items with names on them. I always seem to get lucky and find things with uncommon names which makes research easier. This one was no different. A quick internet search turned up an obituary that told of his time in the military and how he farmed the area where the bracelet was found. My friends recognized the last name but didn't know how to contact any of the family. I turned to Facebook with a list of survivors from the obituary and found a daughter. I'll post a redacted screenshot from our conversation and a pic she had of her father on his tractor in 1958. This is probably the fastest research and return I've done. Bracelet is packed and goes out in tomorrows mail. I love putting a face to the finds!

cotton field finds.jpg bracelet.jpg Hilmer Schaefer 1958.jpg Mae Dell Schaefer Thank You Card.jpg

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome on all accounts! thanks for sharing

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent job! Hope it brings them happiness to receive it in the mail.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good for you for spending the time to find owner and then find his family and then ship to them as a remembrance...Beyond the call...

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats! :occasion16::wav::wav::occasion16:

Wonderful to dig two fine silvers the same day! You'll never forget the thrill of pulling up that Peace Dollar. In 3 years, I've only found 2 silver coins: Merc & Peace Dollar! lol My Peace Dollar was a surface find in an abandoned city field -- it was fully on top of the ground but due to being covered in dust, the silver dollar looked like an old cardboard poker chip, so I nearly didn't lean over to pick it up, Peace Dollars were made only for eight years. Treasure is where we find it and often when least expected! Have Fun! Andi

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Garren. Awesome on returning the ID bracelet. Should be an Honorable Mention for sure!!!

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres nothing better than being able to connect a person to a site. That is awesome.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a nice thank you card from the wife of Hilmer. I believe she is about 86 now. Pretty cool! Another treasure for my journal/scrapbook.

Mae Dell Schaefer Thank You Card.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is AWESOME. Thanks for being part of the return group of detectorists. Very nice story and pictures.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this thread is a couple years old, but the good deed lives on in the family's memory so our praises should continue as well. We all profit by your example and should be grateful too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread