๐Ÿ† HONORABLE MENTION 2 CARAT DIAMOND RING...a kind, old gentleman, and a few tears.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted a hunt in a year or more for many reasons...but I am always on this forum viewing and enjoying others' finds. I got burnt out on field testing coils and detectors and I just honestly needed a break from the business side of the hobby. It has been so wonderful the last many months just to enjoy the peace and solace that comes with putting the headphones on, instead of testing coils/detectors, experimenting, making notes, compiling results, different setting trials, etc. The fun part of that for me was to put all of my findings and opinions into a worded form for the company...especially if it was going into an article which was going to be in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine....or if the company was just simply going to use my article for their website.

I still won't be posting much but will definitely be on this forum often and enjoying everyone's finds. Once detecting is in your blood, it never leaves.

Over the last few years, Wednesday has usually been the day I am able to get out and hunt...and today was no different. Although I haven't been out to hunt for nearly a month...the weather was in the 50's and my best friend, Hercules was ready to go...so off we went.

An older gentleman who frequents the gym where I work was telling me yesterday of how a dear friend of his had lost a very valuable ring in his yard nearly 20 years ago and had never been able to find it.
He remembered he had lost it somewhere in his back yard while helping him mow...but after all the years couldn't remember any other details other than the ring "had a lot of big diamonds in it".:icon_thumright:
He told me his friend had passed away 2 years previously and that he had always felt bad because neither of them had ever been able to locate the ring which his best buddy had lost while helping him mow HIS yard.

I told him about my hobby and that I would be happy to come and try to locate it for him. He was excited and told me he had another "fellow or 2" search with their "treasure finder machines":unhappysmiley: but that they had no luck in locating it.

Once I got there I could see it was going to be a crapshoot at best, as this was a huge yard...and no wonder his friend helped him with it!
I hunted for nearly 5 hours and found nothing but a nice pile of can slaw...other debris....and a few coins. The best part of the 5 hours was watching Hercules chase squirrels.:laughing7:

I stopped to get a drink and then decided I would give it one more shot before calling it a day and heading home for supper.

Within 30 minutes I got a signal that sounded just like the other gazillion pieces of crap I had dug8-)...but when I cut the plug, I caught the glimmer of gold at the bottom of the moist hole...and out popped this beautiful 14K ring with 2 full carats of diamonds in it!:headbang:

I called him over to see it and verify it...and the look on his face was priceless. I placed it in his hand and as his eyes began to water, he took his eyes off the ring...looked up at me and said "God bless you"...."I wish my friend was here to see this and put it back on his finger".

It was priceless for me as well because I made a new friend....Herky got to chase squirrels...I was able to enjoy the hobby I love....and the look on the gentleman's face was something I'll always cherish.
:angel11:

Attachments

• bigring.jpg
    bigring.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 240
  • bigring2.jpg
    bigring2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 245
  • bigring3.jpg
    bigring3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 258
  • bigring4.jpg
    bigring4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 262
  • bigring5.jpg
    bigring5.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 239

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beautiful ring and an even more impressive story. My hat is off to you, Sir! Great job!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow karma will visit you with a big hug .

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, :sadsmiley:

I almost teared up a little... :icon_scratch: That was a touching story, great recovery, beautiful ring... :thumbsup: I'm going to give Honorable mention vote for this for sure !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
May your Karma be even greater - an incredibly generous and kind thing you did there Sir!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was priceless for me as well because I made a new friend....Herky got to chase squirrels...I was able to enjoy the hobby I love....and the look on the gentleman's face was something I'll always cherish.[/SIZE]:angel11:[/QUOTE]

Now that's a treasure, You did good!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear that you have been rejuvenated Mr. B. and resumed hunting with your detector again.
That is one fine looking gold ring that you recovered and returned. In the process, you made someone
extremely happy. Well done and good karma to you. Hi to Herkie for me........

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good on ya for finding the ring and posting up the story of the return, see good Karma is already playing its part as you've got a lifelong memory to smile back upon, a treasure.

It's good to hear that you're just swinging the coil instead of always testing the discs out, that alone would take a whole lot of pleasure out of the whole equation.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, good job by you!!!

Sooooo... tell us more about the coins... any keepers?

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's awesome man. Glad to see your doing well and still lurking. I don't post much any more either. I look daily but rarely post. I'm making great finds everyday though still. With your expertise with minelab could you give me a list of the best aftermarket coils for the etrac. I know you've spent a lot of time with there products.

That ring is beautiful. Did the guy keep it

Take care good to see ya again

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is incredible...great return...congrats.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful ring and an even more impressive story. My hat is off to you, Sir! Great job!
Old Dude...thanks for the comment and good luck hunting.

Wow karma will visit you with a big hug .
Thanks, 46Wheat...take care.

Man, :sadsmiley:

I almost teared up a little... :icon_scratch: That was a touching story, great recovery, beautiful ring... :thumbsup: I'm going to give Honorable mention vote for this for sure !! :notworthy:
Thanks MUD...nice to hear from you...and thanks for responding.
May your Karma be even greater - an incredibly generous and kind thing you did there Sir!
Thanks, Deepseeker...much appreciated.

It was priceless for me as well because I made a new friend....Herky got to chase squirrels...I was able to enjoy the hobby I love....and the look on the gentleman's face was something I'll always cherish.

Now that's a treasure, You did good!
Thanks, friend.[/SIZE]

Good to hear that you have been rejuvenated Mr. B. and resumed hunting with your detector again.
That is one fine looking gold ring that you recovered and returned. In the process, you made someone
extremely happy. Well done and good karma to you. Hi to Herkie for me........
Hi Richard. Thanks...and nice to hear from you my friend. I'll definitely give Herky a hug for you.

Good on ya for finding the ring and posting up the story of the return, see good Karma is already playing its part as you've got a lifelong memory to smile back upon, a treasure.

It's good to hear that you're just swinging the coil instead of always testing the discs out, that alone would take a whole lot of pleasure out of the whole equation.
Thanks, Pepper....it was a much needed break from it.

Amazing story!
Thanks

Yes, good job by you!!!
Sooooo... tell us more about the coins... any keepers?
Thanks, Dave. I did find 3 wheaties and 2 Mercs...along with some clad.

Thanks

Congrats on the return, I just returned a wallet earlier today.
Thanks, coinman...and congrats on the wallet return.

That's awesome man. Glad to see your doing well and still lurking. I don't post much any more either. I look daily but rarely post. I'm making great finds everyday though still. With your expertise with minelab could you give me a list of the best aftermarket coils for the etrac. I know you've spent a lot of time with there products.
That ring is beautiful. Did the guy keep it
Take care good to see ya again
Hi, Jer...Thanks and nice to hear from you. I like the 10 x 12 SEF coil and the 6" excelerator coil on the E-trac. Yep...the guy kept the ring...and I left feeling blessed.

That ring is incredible...great return...congrats.
Thank you, friend.

Now that is one of the most awesome stories on T-Net. You ROCK Silver! :headbang:
Thanks, MichiganMan...much appreciated. Thanks for the comment.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that's a honker. Great story and find!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! Great to see you back Bryce ! and with such a great find/story - and Hercules back with you (obviously)

( I've really missed your detailed hunt reports - seems like you were finding Seated dimes more often than the rest of us find "Rosies" )

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner Job Bryce on the find and return!! Thanks for sharing the Great story and priceless moments...

I just honestly needed a break from the business side of the hobby. It has been so wonderful the last many months just to enjoy the peace and solace that comes with putting the headphones on, instead of testing coils/detectors, experimenting, making notes, compiling results, different setting trials, etc. The fun part of that for me was to put all of my findings and opinions into a worded form for the company...especially if it was going into an article which was going to be in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine....or if the company was just simply going to use my article for their website

:thumbsup:

I just did the same thing, found that I love the modding and testing side of it, But I love the hunting treasure side more and doing my own testing on my own ideas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread