[HONORABLE MENTION] 2 CARAT DIAMOND RING...a kind, old gentleman, and a few tears.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 2 CARAT DIAMOND RING...a kind, old gentleman, and a few tears.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    Bryce-IL

Aug 2007
    Wherever Silver's Hidin'
    Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
    627 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

2 CARAT DIAMOND RING...a kind, old gentleman, and a few tears.

I haven't posted a hunt in a year or more for many reasons...but I am always on this forum viewing and enjoying others' finds. I got burnt out on field testing coils and detectors and I just honestly needed a break from the business side of the hobby. It has been so wonderful the last many months just to enjoy the peace and solace that comes with putting the headphones on, instead of testing coils/detectors, experimenting, making notes, compiling results, different setting trials, etc. The fun part of that for me was to put all of my findings and opinions into a worded form for the company...especially if it was going into an article which was going to be in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine....or if the company was just simply going to use my article for their website.

I still won't be posting much but will definitely be on this forum often and enjoying everyone's finds. Once detecting is in your blood, it never leaves.

Over the last few years, Wednesday has usually been the day I am able to get out and hunt...and today was no different. Although I haven't been out to hunt for nearly a month...the weather was in the 50's and my best friend, Hercules was ready to go...so off we went.

An older gentleman who frequents the gym where I work was telling me yesterday of how a dear friend of his had lost a very valuable ring in his yard nearly 20 years ago and had never been able to find it.
    He remembered he had lost it somewhere in his back yard while helping him mow...but after all the years couldn't remember any other details other than the ring "had a lot of big diamonds in it".
    He told me his friend had passed away 2 years previously and that he had always felt bad because neither of them had ever been able to locate the ring which his best buddy had lost while helping him mow HIS yard.

I told him about my hobby and that I would be happy to come and try to locate it for him. He was excited and told me he had another "fellow or 2" search with their "treasure finder machines" but that they had no luck in locating it.

Once I got there I could see it was going to be a crapshoot at best, as this was a huge yard...and no wonder his friend helped him with it!
    I hunted for nearly 5 hours and found nothing but a nice pile of can slaw...other debris....and a few coins. The best part of the 5 hours was watching Hercules chase squirrels.

I stopped to get a drink and then decided I would give it one more shot before calling it a day and heading home for supper.

Within 30 minutes I got a signal that sounded just like the other gazillion pieces of crap I had dug...but when I cut the plug, I caught the glimmer of gold at the bottom of the moist hole...and out popped this beautiful 14K ring with 2 full carats of diamonds in it!

I called him over to see it and verify it...and the look on his face was priceless. I placed it in his hand and as his eyes began to water, he took his eyes off the ring...looked up at me and said "God bless you"...."I wish my friend was here to see this and put it back on his finger".

It was priceless for me as well because I made a new friend....Herky got to chase squirrels...I was able to enjoy the hobby I love....and the look on the gentleman's face was something I'll always cherish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigring.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	1070076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigring2.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	1070077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigring3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	1070078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigring4.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	1070079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigring5.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	1070080  

My field test of the Sunray X-5 coil is published in the May 2010 Issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

My field test of the Sunray X-12 Coil is published in the June 2010 Issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

My field test of the Coiltek 5x7 Coil is published in the July 2012 Issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

My "Deep Coin" Explorer settings, and finds are published in Andy Sabisch's Minelab Explorer & E-Trac Handbook.

Here's the story of my BEST FIND EVERhttp://www.treasurenet.com/forums/be...find-ever.html

us
    Feb 2013
    Luzerne County, Pa
    Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
    9228 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    What a beautiful ring and an even more impressive story. My hat is off to you, Sir! Great job!

us
    Oldest Copper.. 1736 KGII Half Penny / Oldest Silver... 1756 Spanish Half Real

May 2014
    Upstate NY
    Minelab Etrac / At Pro / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil / Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
    2867 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Wow karma will visit you with a big hug .
    Remember its not the treasures we find or the length of the journey. But the fact that when we are done we can look back at our life and smile with a satisfied feeling that we enjoyed the trip. So always "Keep Swinging And Keep Smiling"

us
    MUD(S.W.A.T)

Apr 2005
    I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
    894 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Man,

I almost teared up a little... That was a touching story, great recovery, beautiful ring... I'm going to give Honorable mention vote for this for sure !!

Keep @ it and HH !!
    weasel606 likes this.
    TAG: MUD(S.W.A.T)
    GEAR: Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
    EXPERIENCE: About 9 Years
    E-MAIL: mudswat1979@yahoo.com
    "Where you find Silver, you should find Gold."

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18325 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    May your Karma be even greater - an incredibly generous and kind thing you did there Sir!
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    4267 times
    It was priceless for me as well because I made a new friend....Herky got to chase squirrels...I was able to enjoy the hobby I love....and the look on the gentleman's face was something I'll always cherish.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Now that's a treasure, You did good!

us
    Apr 2008
    Springfield, Oregon
    Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
    174 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Good to hear that you have been rejuvenated Mr. B. and resumed hunting with your detector again.
    That is one fine looking gold ring that you recovered and returned. In the process, you made someone
    extremely happy. Well done and good karma to you. Hi to Herkie for me........
    It's amazing just how much treasure people loose and we manage to find.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16313 times
    Relic Hunting
    Good on ya for finding the ring and posting up the story of the return, see good Karma is already playing its part as you've got a lifelong memory to smile back upon, a treasure.

It's good to hear that you're just swinging the coil instead of always testing the discs out, that alone would take a whole lot of pleasure out of the whole equation.

Oct 2013
    381 times
    Amazing story!

us
    Sorry Honey, I canít. Iíve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Mountain Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
    14219 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Yes, good job by you!!!

Sooooo... tell us more about the coins... any keepers?
    weasel606 likes this.
    EVERY COIN, SILVERS, AND TOKENS FOUND IN FLORIDA I SOLD...STARTING FRESH IN MARYLAND

us
    Nov 2013
    NY
    Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
    1467 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    to you!
    Instagram: @surroundedbywild

God Bless

us
    Knowledge in machine struck coinage and colonial through 1800's Relics.

Feb 2013
    New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Woods
    Teknetics T2 SE (DST) Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup) 15" T2 coil Pro-Pointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Fisher F2 Fisher F-Point
    5711 times
    Coins and Relics
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congrats on the return, I just returned a wallet earlier today.
    2014-2017 Finds
    1700s Sundial
    165? french liard
    1696 1774 1730s 17?? copper
    1723 irish Ĺ penny
    1730 KG coin toy
    2x AU 1803 LC
    1722 1/2 Penny
    1779, 1781Ĺ Real, ? 1 Real
    NJ Copper 1786
    1805,1838 LC
    26 Coppers 17 colonial
    175 1720-1850 buttons
    40 Musket Balls
    1906 1912 1934 dog Lics
    16 1700s Buckles 1 silver
    2 1700s spigot
    3 Thimbles 1 silver
    Cleaning Finds:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...ns-relics.html

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab Etrac Xp Deus Ctx 3030 Whites Dfx
    1480 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That's awesome man. Glad to see your doing well and still lurking. I don't post much any more either. I look daily but rarely post. I'm making great finds everyday though still. With your expertise with minelab could you give me a list of the best aftermarket coils for the etrac. I know you've spent a lot of time with there products.

That ring is beautiful. Did the guy keep it

Take care good to see ya again

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4745 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That ring is incredible...great return...congrats.

us
    Jun 2008
    Kalamazoo County, Michigan
    A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
    203 times
    Now that is one of the most awesome stories on T-Net. You ROCK Silver!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links