Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I were recently driving home from a yard sale and being the "prospector" I am, my eyes are always on the ground. As we approach a round about I notice something on the shoulder of the road and pull the car over. It's exactly what I thought.... a wallet. It was laying open and some of the bills were sticking out. We sat there pulled over and examined the contents...a whole bunch of cash, drivers license, debit card and a convicted criminal type identification card.

Not wanting to just drop this thing in the mail, my wife and I spent hours trying to find out how to contact this individual online and fell short. Back to perusing the wallet, I found a business card for the sheriff's department and what I presume to be this person's probation officer. So I contacted the probation officer and he felt it in my best interest not to meet with this person.....apparently this individual has quite the rap sheet. So I thought it best to deliver the wallet to the officer which I did along with a little note.

Take care, happy hunting and Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_20141219_094132.326.jpg
    IMG_20141219_094132.326.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 520

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, lets all hope that your good deed will be passed on by the owner. I nominate for Honorable Mention. Sub 8-)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice return TUP! That's a stack of cash there and only a handful of people that would do the same. Maybe you will get the gears rolling in the convicts mind. You will be rewarded for you efforts some day.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopefully, he'll take your words to heart and change himself for the better. unfortunately, my first thought was that he'll probably use the note for a rolling paper

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the kind words but I am pretty sure you all would have done the same thing.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Deed ! :thumbsup:
Im thinking this guy don't even want to know why his probation officer is calling him and ain't even thinkin' about calling him back till after the 25th.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on both the find and the return, it is a great feeling

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm picturing the probation officer and his wife at a fancy restaurant sipping on a glass of Dom Perignon toasting the chap who's wallet you found. But the fact that you did everything in your power to return it is commendable.

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm picturing the probation officer and his wife at a fancy restaurant sipping on a glass of Dom Perignon toasting the chap who's wallet you found. But the fact that you did everything in your power to return it is commendable.

My father actually said about the same thing. But what do ya do? The way I see it, it is up to the officer to do the right thing now. Another thing that crossed my mind is whether the money in the wallet was stolen and/or should the money be given to the people that he stole from....if he was convicted of burglary (which i am pretty sure was at least one of his offenses). But I quickly decided that these matters are not for me to decide. Thanks for chiming in and have a Merry Christmas.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos to you T.U.P , I'm sure your good deed will be noted and rewarded ..Xmas cheers Mick

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great return and great note - I once found a backpack containing political rhetoric and book containing signatures for a cause I do not believe in, the person was canvasing neighborhoods trying to get signatures to promote this agenda against my beliefs. I still returned the backpack as it is not mine, tough decision though. Good vs. Evil type of issues........

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea I'm guessing at the very least the Probation officer made accusations to him about having that money.
then there is also the possibility he has already been sent to jail for missing a payment due to the lost wallet.
in which case, Hopefully the proof he didn't lie about loosing it,
got him out of trouble.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good find, great return!

Sluice Box

Jan 1, 2012
The cold north
Detector(s) used
ACE 150, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a strange/cool find there! Almost seems as if it was a setup or something??? Nice bit of information that you left for him though! Hopefully he will take this as a sign! Props to you for being honest, and doing the right thing! We need more people out there that are willing to do the right thing!

Sluice

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and return story with a different twist to it than the usual ones. I think you handled it in the best way possible. All that matters is that you did the right thing. What ever happens afterwards is beyond your control. :thumbsup:

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice of you to return. Hope the young guy turned is life around.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread