[HONORABLE MENTION] 33 Year Old 10 K Gold HS Class Ring Sees the Light of Day
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Wildcat1750
  • 1 Post By Argentium
  • 1 Post By Wildcat1750
  • 2 Post By Wildcat1750
  • 1 Post By dirtlooter
  • 1 Post By Professor of Engineering

Thread: 33 Year Old 10 K Gold HS Class Ring Sees the Light of Day

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT PRO/Garrett Ace 250 + 8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer & Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Retired)
    1383 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (4)

Ring 33 Year Old 10 K Gold HS Class Ring Sees the Light of Day

It’s been a while since I’ve posted any finds but 2015 is starting off nicely for me. While visiting in-laws in upstate New York I got out for an afternoon of hunting with unfrozen soil and snow-free conditions.

Seeking out a park by the river I first searched a small tot lot with easy pickin’s in the wood chips. Mostly small change, recently dropped. Afterwards I moved down the path to an old riverside picnic area with a tall grassy hillside sloping down from an older neighborhood. It was here that I found a small cigarette lighter, part of an old toy aluminum spoon and my first and only wheat cent of the day, a 1926 with plenty of detail. I also dug a shell casing which upon later examination turned out to be a rim fire variety with 4 indentations in the headstamp area. Any info about the rim fire shell casing would be appreciated.

Picking up a strong nickel signal I popped a target less than an inch down with a lot of surface detail and a fair amount of shine to it. It took only a few seconds to discover that I was holding a gold ring with a stone in my hand!

That very same evening, armed with a set of 3 letter initials in the ring and my brother-in-law’s yearbook (he graduated 2 years ahead at the same school) I began seeking the owner. By midnight I had a very promising match on Linkedin and Facebook. I was able to reach out via email the next day giving only the high school and year and town in which I found it. I got an astonished email response within 10 minutes. He was able to correctly describe the ring as being 10 K white gold with a green stone. Because it was more than 30 years ago he doesn’t quite remember how or exactly when he lost it though. He was totally blown away and thought he’d never see that ring again.

We have since exchanged contact information and I will be shipping his ring to him shortly. He no longer lives locally so an in-person return would not be possible. In less than 48 hours the ring will be on its way home to its rightful owner!

Happy New Year!
    Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_7958_no date_crop.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	582.7 KB 
ID:	1100847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_7964_no date_crop.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	1100848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_7949.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	1100849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_7948.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	563.0 KB 
ID:	1100850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_7956_crop.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	403.0 KB 
ID:	1100851  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_7901_crop.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	368.4 KB 
ID:	1100852  

”Piecing the Story of the People, who once lived on and farmed my property, one metal detecting find at a time.”:

us
    Adventure1

Jan 2013
    North central Pa.
    Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
    951 times
    Great finds nice score on the ring. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the success.
    God made man.. Sam Colt made them equal

Dec 2014
    North-Central CT
    AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
    720 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great trip report/story and pics!!!!!!

Great stuff!

us
    Anthony

May 2013
    City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
    Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
    6759 times
    Very nice ring may you can find the owner...

Mar 2012
    866 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You had an excellent day and great find and return on the class ring. If I can get out next week, I'm going to try and help this
    couple find their wedding ring. They lost it about 14 years ago and some other people tried to find it with metal detectors and I want to try and help them if I can. If I'm successful, I will post it. It will be my second return if I can find it and I'm looking forward to it. HH.

us
    The Urban Pirate

Jul 2014
    New York City
    Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250, Mark II, Pro-pointer, RadEye Radiation Detector
    5773 times
    If there's no dirt under your nails, you're not trying hard enough.
    Banner Finds (2)
    Fantastic! Gold, gold, gold! I want!
    Let history be your treasure map .

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    4781 times
    What a great story - Thank You for representing us in a good light !!
    bigfish313 likes this.

us
    Knowledge in machine struck coinage and colonial through 1800's Relics.

Feb 2013
    New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Woods
    Teknetics T2 SE (DST) Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup) 15" T2 coil Pro-Pointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Fisher F2 Fisher F-Point
    5711 times
    Coins and Relics
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congrats on being able to return the ring to it's rightful owner where it belongs. I bet that the owner will be ecstatic when he sees his lost ring. I like returning items more than finding them, I love being able to reunite the item with the original owner.

Also, The patina on the 1926 wheat penny is beautiful.

Coinman123,
    2014-2017 Finds
    1700s Sundial
    165? french liard
    1696 1774 1730s 17?? copper
    1723 irish ˝ penny
    1730 KG coin toy
    2x AU 1803 LC
    1722 1/2 Penny
    1779, 1781˝ Real, ? 1 Real
    NJ Copper 1786
    1805,1838 LC
    26 Coppers 17 colonial
    175 1720-1850 buttons
    40 Musket Balls
    1906 1912 1934 dog Lics
    16 1700s Buckles 1 silver
    2 1700s spigot
    3 Thimbles 1 silver
    Cleaning Finds:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...ns-relics.html

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT PRO/Garrett Ace 250 + 8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer & Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Retired)
    1383 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by fongu View Post
    You had an excellent day and great find and return on the class ring. If I can get out next week, I'm going to try and help this
    couple find their wedding ring. They lost it about 14 years ago and some other people tried to find it with metal detectors and I want to try and help them if I can. If I'm successful, I will post it. It will be my second return if I can find it and I'm looking forward to it. HH.
    Good Luck with that! I found a 1967 women's HS class ring that I am still trying to track the owner down for the last 25 years without success. I was a lot luckier this time.

Quote Originally Posted by coinman123 View Post
    Congrats on being able to return the ring to it's rightful owner where it belongs. I bet that the owner will be ecstatic when he sees his lost ring. I like returning items more than finding them, I love being able to reunite the item with the original owner.

Also, The patina on the 1926 wheat penny is beautiful.

Coinman123,
    I was really stoked to be able to find him so soon. He offered to pay shipping but I told him that I get more satisfaction from thrill of the hunt and the detective work that follows afterwards. The 1926 Wheat Cent and the rim fire tell me that I should return to that site in the spring time.

Thanks for the fine comments pong12211, pepperdawg, park pirate, UnderMiner (cool avatar), and Argentium.
    bigfish313 likes this.

”Piecing the Story of the People, who once lived on and farmed my property, one metal detecting find at a time.”:

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    1383 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    *Update*

Just packed up the ring this afternoon and shipped it out to its rightful owner by insured priority mail. He should have it in his hands by Monday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_7987.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	718.9 KB 
ID:	1101095  
    bigfish313 and dirtlooter like this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    12538 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I was fortunate enough to return one last March that had been lost for 23 years, it is an awesome feeling indeed. congrats on the find and the return.
    Wildcat1750 likes this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    1383 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    I was fortunate enough to return one last March that had been lost for 23 years, it is an awesome feeling indeed. congrats on the find and the return.
    Thanks, dirtlooter! Yes, it's an awesome feeling for sure. BTW - I shipped the ring out on Saturday and it should be back in the owner's hands by tomorrow.
    Nick

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    27994 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Excellent find and ring return!
    Wildcat1750 likes this.

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    1383 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    IMMHO, The best reward possible...

Received this email yesterday from the owner of the ring:

"Nicholas

I wanted to confirm that I was able to get to the post office today. Thank
    you again.
    I shared the story to friends today on Facebook and the feedback was
    incredible. You
    showed so many people that there are incredible kind people in this world!

I hope you have a great day."

Nick

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links