🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s been a while since I’ve posted any finds but 2015 is starting off nicely for me. While visiting in-laws in upstate New York I got out for an afternoon of hunting with unfrozen soil and snow-free conditions.

Seeking out a park by the river I first searched a small tot lot with easy pickin’s in the wood chips. Mostly small change, recently dropped. Afterwards I moved down the path to an old riverside picnic area with a tall grassy hillside sloping down from an older neighborhood. It was here that I found a small cigarette lighter, part of an old toy aluminum spoon and my first and only wheat cent of the day, a 1926 with plenty of detail. I also dug a shell casing which upon later examination turned out to be a rim fire variety with 4 indentations in the headstamp area. Any info about the rim fire shell casing would be appreciated. ???

Picking up a strong nickel signal I popped a target less than an inch down with a lot of surface detail and a fair amount of shine to it. It took only a few seconds to discover that I was holding a gold ring with a stone in my hand! :icon_thumright:

That very same evening, armed with a set of 3 letter initials in the ring and my brother-in-law’s yearbook (he graduated 2 years ahead at the same school) I began seeking the owner. By midnight I had a very promising match on Linkedin and Facebook. I was able to reach out via email the next day giving only the high school and year and town in which I found it. I got an astonished email response within 10 minutes. He was able to correctly describe the ring as being 10 K white gold with a green stone. Because it was more than 30 years ago he doesn’t quite remember how or exactly when he lost it though. He was totally blown away and thought he’d never see that ring again.

We have since exchanged contact information and I will be shipping his ring to him shortly. He no longer lives locally so an in-person return would not be possible. In less than 48 hours the ring will be on its way home to its rightful owner!

Happy New Year! :hello:
Nick

Attachments

• 101_7958_no date_crop.jpg
    101_7958_no date_crop.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 101_7964_no date_crop.jpg
    101_7964_no date_crop.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 101_7949.jpg
    101_7949.jpg
    996.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 101_7948.jpg
    101_7948.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 101_7956_crop.jpg
    101_7956_crop.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 101_7901_crop.jpg
    101_7901_crop.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 221

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds nice score on the ring. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the success.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had an excellent day and great find and return on the class ring. If I can get out next week, I'm going to try and help this
couple find their wedding ring. They lost it about 14 years ago and some other people tried to find it with metal detectors and I want to try and help them if I can. If I'm successful, I will post it. It will be my second return if I can find it and I'm looking forward to it. HH.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! Gold, gold, gold! I want! :thumbsup:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on being able to return the ring to it's rightful owner where it belongs. I bet that the owner will be ecstatic when he sees his lost ring. I like returning items more than finding them, I love being able to reunite the item with the original owner.

Also, The patina on the 1926 wheat penny is beautiful.

Coinman123,

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had an excellent day and great find and return on the class ring. If I can get out next week, I'm going to try and help this
couple find their wedding ring. They lost it about 14 years ago and some other people tried to find it with metal detectors and I want to try and help them if I can. If I'm successful, I will post it. It will be my second return if I can find it and I'm looking forward to it. HH.

Good Luck with that! I found a 1967 women's HS class ring that I am still trying to track the owner down for the last 25 years without success. I was a lot luckier this time.

Congrats on being able to return the ring to it's rightful owner where it belongs. I bet that the owner will be ecstatic when he sees his lost ring. I like returning items more than finding them, I love being able to reunite the item with the original owner.

Also, The patina on the 1926 wheat penny is beautiful.

Coinman123,

I was really stoked to be able to find him so soon. He offered to pay shipping but I told him that I get more satisfaction from thrill of the hunt and the detective work that follows afterwards. The 1926 Wheat Cent and the rim fire tell me that I should return to that site in the spring time.

Thanks for the fine comments pong12211, pepperdawg, park pirate, UnderMiner (cool avatar), and Argentium.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*Update*

Just packed up the ring this afternoon and shipped it out to its rightful owner by insured priority mail. He should have it in his hands by Monday. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 101_7987.jpg
    101_7987.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 185

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was fortunate enough to return one last March that had been lost for 23 years, it is an awesome feeling indeed. congrats on the find and the return.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was fortunate enough to return one last March that had been lost for 23 years, it is an awesome feeling indeed. congrats on the find and the return.

Thanks, dirtlooter! Yes, it's an awesome feeling for sure. BTW - I shipped the ring out on Saturday and it should be back in the owner's hands by tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Nick

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent find and ring return!

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMMHO, The best reward possible...

Received this email yesterday from the owner of the ring:

"Nicholas

I wanted to confirm that I was able to get to the post office today. Thank
you again.
I shared the story to friends today on Facebook and the feedback was
incredible. You
showed so many people that there are incredible kind people in this world!

I hope you have a great day."

:thumbsup:
Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread