🏆 HONORABLE MENTION My First Class Ring Return!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two weeks ago I started my Sunday morning off as usual by hunting a large city park that has produced some nice rings in the past. I was getting ready to leave to meet up with another fellow to hunt elsewhere when my coil passed over a solid target. My AT Pro was showing a solid 47. The sprinkler heads at this park also show a solid 47, but this object pin pointed like something much smaller than a sprinkler head. Out of the ground comes a large ring which I could tell was a high school class ring.

2015-03-22 10.44.09.jpg

Luckily the ring had a full named engraved on the inside. Unfortunately when I searched for the name online I found an obituary where the name matched exactly and the age was correct for someone who would have graduated in 2003. I posted a picture of this ring on a Facebook metal detecting group and immediately a fellow by the name of Dan offered to help me search public records to locate the family. We were able to locate the parent's home address but no phone number or email. I confirmed on my city GIS program that the parents still owned the home at that address. So I typed up a letter with a picture of the ring (only showing the side with the name) and asked if they though that this ring may have belonged to their son. I also asked if they did think it was his, to email me confirming the high school and graduation date, and I would be glad to return it to the family.

A few days went by and Dave Sr. (the father) sent me an email confirming that this ring did formerly belong to their son. I met up with them this morning to give it back. The mother was quite emotional as her son had passed away two years ago this month. They offered me some money as a reward for finding it, which I thankful for but declined. The good feeling of returning the ring to the family is worth far more than money to me.

This is my third ring return, and my first high school class ring return and hopefully I'll have this opportunity to return many more in the future.

Before I gave the ring back I cleaned it up real nice. Here are a few pictures of the ring and the parent's, and the former owner.

2015-04-04 09.16.12.jpg 2015-04-04 09.16.20.jpg 2015-04-04 10.00.52.jpg 21023323_204148.jpg

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet the ring means so much more to his parents then it ever could to someone finding it. Great job spending the time to find them and get it back to them. Nice story.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Good job Jeremy! You made the kids day and gave out hobby a great reputation.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• thanks.jpg
    thanks.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 232

kyrock

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice thing you did there for the family. Bravo!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the ring recovery/return. Your kind deed will never be forgotten by the parents.

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I can't think of a better way to honor Charles Garrett than by using one of his detectors to do something good in this world.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Jeremy! It's such great feeling to return those rings. Thanks for doing the right thing!!!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yet to find a class ring myself, but I know the pride in returning one must be awesome.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job Jeremy! I know the feeling.....even after over 50 returns I've made, it never gets old!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love hearing stories like this. I get all choked up. I hope that one day I can do this for someone too. Thanks for sharing.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so awesome! I bet that mom rarely takes that ring off. A great memento of her son with her every day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread