Found Class ring returned

steelheadfever

Jun 15, 2005
Caldwell,Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT/Minelab XT-70/Whites Beach Hunter ID
A few weeks ago, I was hunting a ball diamond at a church not far from my home. I found this beautiful 1997 gold class ring. The ring is from our local high school. I made a number of phone calls and I was able to track down the mother of the young man that had lost the ring. She was excited and said she would contact her son. The young man called a day or so later. He seemed excited saying that he had been playing ball at the church and had lost the ring 9 years ago. We made plans to met a few days later. Well he was a no show. I made calls to him and left messages on his answering machine but he has never returned any of my calls. For the life of me I can't understand why he would not like to get the ring back as soon as possible. I guess some things to some people are not as important as they would be to me. Well if he ever comes to get the ring I will let you know how it went. Thanks and Happy Hunting. Dennis in Idaho

Attachments

• class ring 002.jpg
    class ring 002.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,092
  • class ring 003.jpg
    class ring 003.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,091
  • class ring 004.jpg
    class ring 004.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,129

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found class ring

Nice find Dennis and good job tracking down the owner! Don't understand why he would not claim the ring as soon as possible. I lost my class ring 3 days after I got it and know where. I tried to find it my last trip home but no luck. HH, Mike

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really nice find there!. :) Sometimes when you give back a ring and get a response like that it make you wish you had just kept it or sold it at the pawn shop. I keep giving them back because the ones who really appreciate it makes it all worthwhile. Been a year or so since I found one I could return. The last 2 that I found I had to leave with a family member and never got a thank you from the ones who lost them. Oh well...

Peak190

Apr 23, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212x,Deleon ,Cibola,Tejon,Cortez,MXT,GTI2500

What a moron no wonder he lost it.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Great going Dennis and congarts on doing the right thing. Take a photo of the happy owner when you finally catch up to him, we would live to see it!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I chased down the owner of a class ring, right high school, same year of graduation , only one in the class with his initials. He said it wasn't his! Must have been somewhere he wasn't suposesd to be is all I can figure? Monty

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find Dennis.

You did the right thing.

Maybe the knothead will pay it forward. (if he ever shows up)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Maybe something happened to him! Or maybe he thought you would demand a large reward. Or maybe he is just to drugged out to give a crap! ???

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

steelheadfever said:
DFX-Gregg said:
Maybe something happened to him! Or maybe he thought you would demand a large reward. Or maybe he is just to drugged out to give a crap! ???
When I talked with the young man and his mother I told them that I did not accept money for returning lost property to its owner. I called and left another message today and still no reply. Go figure. HH Dennis in Idaho

In my opinion, you have made sufficient effort to return the ring. I'd just sit back and wait for either the Mother or the Son to contact you, if they ever do. If you haven't heard anything from them in 6 months or so, I'd consider the ring yours.

Mike

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

That ring is in good shape for being lost all those years. You did the right thing by making the attempt to return it. If you really want to get him to pick it up call his Mom again and ask why he was a no show. That should build a fire under him. :D

I have found 2 class rings over the years and returned both of them. Neither one of the owners seemed very excited about the whole thing. I was more excited then they were. Go figure.

You would think that a class ring would be of high sentimental value but I guess the todays values are way off base. Must be a sad sign of the times.

Kudos to you for doing the right thing.

Ray

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

steelheadfever said:
DFX-Gregg said:
When I talked with the young man and his mother I told them that I did not accept money for returning lost property to its owner. I called and left another message today and still no reply. Go figure. HH Dennis in Idaho

Very odd I would maybe make one more attempt....not even sure of that!

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Personally I think you have gone above and beyond what could ever be expected to go out of your way for something you were never under any obligation to do in the first place. I would make one last phone call in a day or so and let him know he has 2 or 3 days to pick up the ring or you will melt it down and sell it for scrap metal and it will be gone for good. That should get him off his butt to come get it and if not you will know he really didnt care what happened to it.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Class ring returned

Good job 8) AA

Eastexasoutdoors

May 8, 2007
Neches Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5 ID, Garretts Ace, Fisher Gold Bug

Way to go Steelhead. I wish someone would return my class ring, stolen 25 years ago.

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac

Great job Dennis... Looks like the both of you are excited... Hats off to you for this good deed...

HH Robert

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Glad you could find him and give it back. He doesn't look old enough to have graduated in 97 though. ;D

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Dennis on the find and return! I found a gold wedding ring Saturday for a work colleague, he was married on the 7th of June 2007 and lost it one week later. Was tricky to find but I found it. HH and way to be, Mike

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

Outstanding. You have given our hobby a real shot in the arm. Thanks.

As for Dale, Jr., isn't his shirt going to become a collector's item?? He's going to Hendrick Motorsports.

DM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread