πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION It took 4, 2-3 hour hunts and BOOM!

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my story. I have a friend that has a cousin. His cousin is headmaster at a private school and my friend told me that his cousin lost his platinum wedding ring on a soccer field some years ago and has never been able to find it. That was all i needed to go and ask this guy if he would allow me to detect that soccer field and hopefully, find his ring. He had no problem with me detecting the field but said that it was 15 years ago that he lost it there and has zero idea of where it may be on this field. He told me that he got married in 2001, a couple months later he was referring a girls soccer game, never saw the ring again. He recruited all the students to make a line and walk the field from one end to the other, offered a nice reward but no luck. He and his wife gave up on ever finding the wedding band and replaced it with a much cheaper band(wifes orders). Both he and his wife believed that it was gone forever and just gave up on it and that's where I come in. Since april, I have been there 3 times and turned up nothing but clad, pull tabs and bullets.(odd) The bullets and pull tabs are plentiful and ring up with the same "60" vdi. So, today i was out there digging the same old crap, even walked past a number of "60's", not wanting to get another bullet or pulltab but for some reason, on this particular "60", I decided to dig. It said it was only 2" down so i dug 2", nothing, dug 2" more and my PP was ringing solid, stuck my blade and popped out a beautiful wedding band. I knew right away that it was his and couldn't wait to show him. I did not see anything that marked it as platinum but there was a 14k inside the band. Needless to say, they were ecstatic, offered me money, I said no, just give me permission to hunt the entire school grounds when school lets out for the summer. He said "DONE!" This is a mansion that was built in the 1840's, the guy died in 1860's or 1870's and it was turned into a school in 1888 and has been ever since. Long story but I tried to keep it as short as i could....lol. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0238.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 270
  • IMAG0239.jpg
    IMAG0239.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 265
  • IMAG0240.jpg
    IMAG0240.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 260
  • IMAG0243.jpg
    IMAG0243.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 277

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. Definitely an "Honorable Mention" as far as I'm concerned!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You a good man, and I hope your good deed pays off in the future with your new permission.

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. Definitely an "Honorable Mention" as far as I'm concerned!

Thank you. I think I was as excited as he was. We both yelled so loud that his baby got scared and started crying. I felt bad :(

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You a good man, and I hope your good deed pays off in the future with your new permission.

Thank you. I really think this is going to be an awesome permission. 300+ acres and this house/school is just incredible. I'll take pics of it and post them up here. Apparently it was his summer home back in the day.:icon_scratch:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool story

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.........with this ring, I thee wed......or better yet I have thy permission granted....hopefully a happy ever after wil be included.Nice return:thumbsup:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did the right thing with your spare time. :award_star_gold_3: Sounds like a fantastic permission. :headbang: Fingers crossed that it wasn't hunted much in the past.

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.........with this ring, I thee wed......or better yet I have thy permission granted....hopefully a happy ever after wil be included.Nice return:thumbsup:

I wanted to take a pic of his wife putting it back on his finger but they wanted it to be me giving it to him....heh

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did the right thing with your spare time. :award_star_gold_3: Sounds like a fantastic permission. :headbang: Fingers crossed that it wasn't hunted much in the past.

Thanks man. My fingers are crossed as far as I can...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good deed! And Story, Thanks for Sharing and Good Karma to you on your next hunts...:thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the REAL treasure in the words "treasure hunting" ! Good job - and you picked up some nice permission property to hunt .

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if his ring was platinum, how is that 14k ring his?

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So if his ring was platinum, how is that 14k ring his?

When I took the ring to him, I first asked him to describe the ring because I kind of thought that there was a possibility that this was not his but, he described it to a tee. I told him that there are no platinum markings on this ring but it most definitely is yours. He told me that the guy that sold it to him said it was platinum and he paid something like $1500 for it in 2001, more than they spent on her ring. He went to insure it and they said it was only worth $500. Probably white gold with yellow gold inlay. Not platinum.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! It's a good feeling you get when you help someone out like that and now you have permission to hunt what could be a very productive site!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and return after all these years. It goes to show you that you need to dig those "junk" sounds to get the gold!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done!! Enjoy the new hunting grounds also. Hope you find a few large silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread