[HONORABLE MENTION] It took 4, 2-3 hour hunts and BOOM!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: It took 4, 2-3 hour hunts and BOOM!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2014
    upstate New York
    AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
    482 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

It took 4, 2-3 hour hunts and BOOM!

Here's my story. I have a friend that has a cousin. His cousin is headmaster at a private school and my friend told me that his cousin lost his platinum wedding ring on a soccer field some years ago and has never been able to find it. That was all i needed to go and ask this guy if he would allow me to detect that soccer field and hopefully, find his ring. He had no problem with me detecting the field but said that it was 15 years ago that he lost it there and has zero idea of where it may be on this field. He told me that he got married in 2001, a couple months later he was referring a girls soccer game, never saw the ring again. He recruited all the students to make a line and walk the field from one end to the other, offered a nice reward but no luck. He and his wife gave up on ever finding the wedding band and replaced it with a much cheaper band(wifes orders). Both he and his wife believed that it was gone forever and just gave up on it and that's where I come in. Since april, I have been there 3 times and turned up nothing but clad, pull tabs and bullets.(odd) The bullets and pull tabs are plentiful and ring up with the same "60" vdi. So, today i was out there digging the same old crap, even walked past a number of "60's", not wanting to get another bullet or pulltab but for some reason, on this particular "60", I decided to dig. It said it was only 2" down so i dug 2", nothing, dug 2" more and my PP was ringing solid, stuck my blade and popped out a beautiful wedding band. I knew right away that it was his and couldn't wait to show him. I did not see anything that marked it as platinum but there was a 14k inside the band. Needless to say, they were ecstatic, offered me money, I said no, just give me permission to hunt the entire school grounds when school lets out for the summer. He said "DONE!" This is a mansion that was built in the 1840's, the guy died in 1860's or 1870's and it was turned into a school in 1888 and has been ever since. Long story but I tried to keep it as short as i could....lol. Thanks for reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0238.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	1170482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0239.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	1170483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0240.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	1170484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0243.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	1170485  

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
    2471 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. Definitely an "Honorable Mention" as far as I'm concerned!
    rodarian and DirtStalker like this.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    5891 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You a good man, and I hope your good deed pays off in the future with your new permission.
    rodarian likes this.

us
    Jul 2014
    upstate New York
    482 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in NJ View Post
    Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. Definitely an "Honorable Mention" as far as I'm concerned!
    Thank you. I think I was as excited as he was. We both yelled so loud that his baby got scared and started crying. I felt bad

us
    Jul 2014
    upstate New York
    482 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    You a good man, and I hope your good deed pays off in the future with your new permission.
    Thank you. I really think this is going to be an awesome permission. 300+ acres and this house/school is just incredible. I'll take pics of it and post them up here. Apparently it was his summer home back in the day.

us
    Oldest Copper.. 1736 KGII Half Penny / Oldest Silver... 1756 Spanish Half Real

May 2014
    Upstate NY
    Minelab Etrac / At Pro / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil / Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
    3332 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Very cool story
    rodarian likes this.
    Remember its not the treasures we find or the length of the journey. But the fact that when we are done we can look back at our life and smile with a satisfied feeling that we enjoyed the trip. So always "Keep Swinging And Keep Smiling"

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    5213 times
    .........with this ring, I thee wed......or better yet I have thy permission granted....hopefully a happy ever after wil be included.Nice return
    rodarian and ToastedWheatie like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    17444 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    You did the right thing with your spare time. Sounds like a fantastic permission. Fingers crossed that it wasn't hunted much in the past.
    rodarian likes this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

us
    Jul 2014
    upstate New York
    482 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by villagenut View Post
    .........with this ring, I thee wed......or better yet I have thy permission granted....hopefully a happy ever after wil be included.Nice return
    I wanted to take a pic of his wife putting it back on his finger but they wanted it to be me giving it to him....heh

us
    Jul 2014
    upstate New York
    482 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    You did the right thing with your spare time. Sounds like a fantastic permission. Fingers crossed that it wasn't hunted much in the past.
    Thanks man. My fingers are crossed as far as I can...

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Maryland Waters
    "Excalibur".. "AQ" Impulse
    6292 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Good deed! And Story, Thanks for Sharing and Good Karma to you on your next hunts...
    rodarian likes this.
    Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....81....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...130

Feb 2015
    2404 times
    Metal Detecting
    AWESOME STORY!!!
    rodarian likes this.

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    5229 times
    That is the REAL treasure in the words "treasure hunting" ! Good job - and you picked up some nice permission property to hunt .
    rodarian likes this.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4792 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    So if his ring was platinum, how is that 14k ring his?
    rodarian likes this.

us
    Jul 2014
    upstate New York
    482 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookindown View Post
    So if his ring was platinum, how is that 14k ring his?
    When I took the ring to him, I first asked him to describe the ring because I kind of thought that there was a possibility that this was not his but, he described it to a tee. I told him that there are no platinum markings on this ring but it most definitely is yours. He told me that the guy that sold it to him said it was platinum and he paid something like $1500 for it in 2001, more than they spent on her ring. He went to insure it and they said it was only worth $500. Probably white gold with yellow gold inlay. Not platinum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links