πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Ring return and end of silver drought. Woo Hoo!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I responded to an ad that was on craigslist that read:

I lost my mothers ring May 25,2015 at Lindley Park Bozeman Montana. I know some people do medal detecting for a hobby and if anyone is interested that would be much appreciated! This ring was very important to me and my family if found there will be a reward. It fits on my thumb and is a blackhills silver ring with my moms sky blue birthstone in the center of the leaves. It is a decent sized ring. If found please contact me as soon as possible. Thank you for your time
Sincerely,
Brittany

01111_iKUPObmZzK5_50x50c.jpg

I responded to her ad and told her I would do my best to find it for her. I told her if it was a recent drop that probably someone else had picked it up if on the surface, but I would be willing to look for her. Before I met with them I said a little prayer. That if I am meant to help these people please help me find it. Then I went to meet them. I asked them where they were and when she noticed it was gone. It was a 10 by 20 yard area. With a path back to their vehicle. I decided to first run where they were sitting then trace back to the parking lot. Again I was not optimistic as the parks crew had been through there with their mowers. I ground balanced my F5, turned disc up to only accept dime signals and above. As silver would not be in the lower ranges. I swept my coil and was getting iffy signals, then I got a dime signal. Hit pinpoint and showed 5 inches. I knew that was too deep for her drop, so I started swinging again. I got a quarter 50 cent signal, pinpointed and was shallow. Ran my Deteknix pin pointer and it rang loud. I took out my screwdriver and went under the target and pried up. Then I saw a silver band. I had to catch my breath as she and her boyfriend looked on. I pulled it out and held it out and said "Is this your ring"? She screamed and they both were jumping up and down. She said "Oh my God we have had 3 people with metal detectors over this and none have been able to find it, and you found it in less than 3 minutes!" They asked if they could pay me. I told them the only payment I wanted was a picture with the lady who was reunited with her ring. She and her boyfriend hugged me and I wished them well and told her to take care of the ring.

WP_20150607_001.jpg

Now I know the joy and satisfaction that can come from our hobby.

Last edited:

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nicely done. I agree with your last point. I experienced it myself a few weeks back- bringing someone happiness is worth more to me than $50 of scrap any day of the week.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comment. I know that there are some things that are lost that mean so much more than their melt value. This was the first time that I was given the opportunity to help another with my detector. I had read on here of others doing so and could not really grasp the enormity until I was able to do so myself. It really made my day as if I had found a civil war buckle or a $20 gold piece. This paid for my detector.

Last edited:

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job!!

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am kind of surprised that with over 100 views there were only 2 comments. Oh well.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read this very late last night and didn't get a chance to comment. Very nice story and great that you were able to locate the ring so quickly. Looks like you made the owner very happy and made us all look a little better in the process. I think anyone here that is kind enough and goes the extra mile for a return deserves an Honorable Mention. I will click the Banner button and write in "Honorable Mention."

Great job :thumbsup:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good show !! Honorable Mention for sure :occasion14:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and a good deed done-way to go!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice return ! I'm a Montana native -been away a long time , are there lot's of decent places around Bozeman to detect ?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is why we do what we do. please join me on the Hon. Mention page. ya' done good.

jharboldt

Nov 15, 2013
Great job!! Helping someone out, and being the one to find it when the odds were stacked. Worth more than any reward

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much. It was a cool experience and I had seen others on here who have done the same. Just wanted to share with my fellow detectorists. Argentium, I mostly hit parks here and things have been slow. I haven't hunted as much this year, and the places I have were hit hard by me last year and it shows. Gonna try to hit some old home sites this year.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Great story Mike, and with pictures!
I have been in this hobby since 1966 (age 12) and the occasion to return lost rings to the owner has been about as common as finding gold coins.
But it has happened for me. I know how you are feeling.
You did good!
John

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks John. It was truly a mind blowing experience when it happened. I felt better after that, than the two times I found gold rings. Somehow better when it helps someone else.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job and welcome to the club - no feeling like getting those lost valuables back to their rightful owner -

congrats_2.gif

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amen! Was a experience I will never forget. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread