springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that I would share this with everyone on here since it's one of my best finds so far. Recently, I was doing some detecting on some land near the lake with my AT Pro and hit a pretty good signal around a target ID of 69-70. Naturally, I thought it would be something made of copper or maybe a large sinker since they usually go off in that range. When I dug it up, I noticed a red stone and quickly realized that what I found was an old class ring! After I wiped the dirt off of it, I found out it was from 1964 from a high school that has since been changed to a middle school. Since it was my first ring find, I was excited that it could be worth quite a bit but like many other detectorists I know (and many on here, I'm sure), I could NEVER keep something that belongs to someone else without finding the original owner first. So, I looked on the inside of the ring to see if I could find a name, but all I could see was the name of the company that made the ring and the initials "RES" engraved on the inside.

So, my next step was to find a yearbook from the school of the Class of '64. Fortunately, after taking to social media, I found a man nearby who had one and volunteered to let me look through it. I knew it had to be a man's ring since it was WAY too big for a woman. After looking through the yearbook, I found only ONE man who had the initials RS. His name in the yearbook was Ronnie Seaman and he had transferred to the school from a nearby city. So, my next step was to find Ron's current whereabouts. I began my search and turned up a man that I was positive could be him since he was 69 years old and from an area nearby. However, I got into contact with his wife and found out that Ron Seaman had moved here as an adult and graduated high school from another state. So, the search went cold.

The only thing I could do from this point was to create a post on social media with the only picture I had of Ron (the one from the yearbook) and asked people to share it to help me in my search. The post got tons of shares and information came in about how people knew Ron, but didn't know where he lived. A class reunion organizer said that Ron had never showed up for class reunions and she didn't know of a current address or contact information. At this point, I was under the assumption that it was possible I would not find Ron or that he had passed away.

A couple of weeks passed and I didn't get any more information. Then, I got an email one day from a Ron Seaman who said "I've gotten information that you may have found an old class ring of mine. If you could send me pictures, I could verify if it is indeed my ring". Now, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure A LOT of you guys know that's a little fishy. So, I wrote him back and told him if he could verify some things about the ring or something on the inside or outside that I wouldn't mind to send pictures, but I didn't want to do it immediately since I wanted to be sure I was giving it back to the right owner. His wife got into contact with me on social media and gave me his contact information, so I decided to give this guy a call to see if he was the real deal or not.

When he answered the phone, I introduced myself and started asking some questions about the ring. One of the first things that he said to me was "I was pretty sure I lost that thing near the lake!" and that was VERY telling to me since I never disclosed the location of where I found the ring at the time. So, I inquired for more information about the ring and he said "The lake is where we would go to skip school! I graduated in 1964 and darn if I didn't lose that thing a week after I bought it! I can't really tell you much of what was on it since I didn't own it for very long. But, I'm pretty sure it had my initials inside the ring: RES or RS or something". Just by the way this guy was talking, it was obvious this was his ring. He had information about it that no one could have figured out otherwise and I asked him more about the history of the ring. He said "I used to mow yards for $3 a yard to help pay for that ring! It was around $135 when I bought it and I only had it about a week before losing it!". The craziest part is that he doesn't live in Tennessee anymore, he moved to a town in Florida years ago which is 500 miles away from where I found the ring!

Ron was very ecstatic and amazed that someone would go through the trouble that I went through to find him and return his ring. He told me "Let me tell you something, there aren't many people in this world who would do what you have done to return that ring back to me. You have brought back so many memories that I had just forgotten by telling me about that ring. It's taken me back in time!". Ron has offered to give me a reward for my troubles in locating him and we are set to meet in person in the next couple of months. Since the story got out, two local news stations have covered the story and I have an interview with a newspaper on Tuesday. This isn't the oldest find that I found since I have been detecting, but I consider it by far the best find I have ever found since the happiness I brought to this 69 year old man is priceless. =)

If you want to read the story, you can follow these links:
East Tennessee man finds class ring lost for 50 years, seeks out owner | WATE 6 On Your Side
51 years later, missing ring to be reunited with owner

Also, this is the picture of the ring I found:
Ron's Ring 2.jpg Ron's Ring 3.jpg Ron's Ring.jpg

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I kept details of the 2 rings I returned secret also just so I could verify the real owner. I would rather keep it myself than give it to someone not deserving. That was a very expensive ring for that time period. I think mine for 1980 was less than 70 bucks and I lost it the year after I got it lol.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you deserve an Honorable Mention vote! Great story to read and one heck of a nice find.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool ! Keep us posted by updating this thread
when you return it :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
springsnrings

springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the replies to this thread. I will keep you all posted when I return the ring to Ron. :) He should be in the area in about 2-3 months. :) I never thought I would find this guy but I'm glad he is still living so I can return it to him 51 years later. This is one of the best benefits of detecting in my opinion. :)

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so awesome!!!!! Excellent work!!!!!:icon_thumleft:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really beautiful ring and a great story.

I just spoke with the grandson of the guy who lost the one I found. I'll probably be shipping it home to him on Monday.

Congrats. It's a great feeling when you can give one back.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very fun... I had a class ring return (only 5 years off lost date, though), and it was INCREDIBLE... Love it!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your effort and honesty has really put the hobby of Metal Detecting in a positive light.
I joined The Lost My Stuff Group in 2012 and have since had the pleasure of reuniting 3 Gold wedding bands and a high school ring with their rightful owners.
Anyone so inclined can join at lostmystuff.net
The service is free and provided by volunteers with metal detectors.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great return and story sir! You are an asset to this hobby and great that you were able to bring such joy to someone with your find! :thumbsup: Thank you for sharing this heartwarming story!

OP
OP
springsnrings

springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE August 24, 2015: I have received a message from Ron's wife saying that they've planned a trip to TN and should be here around the 24th of September. That should be when Ron will get his ring back after 51 years. I'll be sure to post pics when that happens. =) Thanks for everyone's replies to this thread, by the way!

SirDiggsALot

Aug 25, 2015
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the coolest detecting story I have ever heard, bravo for putting in the extra steps to find the owner!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
:notworthy: Great story, the best part of returning is history of the loss and there reaction to .. VN!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MR.SPRINGS YOU WIN THE RIGHTOUS AWARD .....

OP
OP
springsnrings

springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the continued comments, everyone! :) It's only 5 days until I'll be able to meet 69-year old Ron in person. I'm planning on taking him to the spot where I found the ring when he gets here where he used to hang out with his buddies skipping school at the age of 18 in the Summer of 1964 which was the last time he saw his ring until this year....51 years later. I'll be sure to get pics to share! :)

OP
OP
springsnrings

springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final Update: October 15, 2015

I'm sorry for the late update on this post. I've been really busy working on college work and haven't been on here to give you all the news. I was finally able to meet Ron and his wife in person and gave him his ring back after 51 years. He was very thankful and showed his respects by giving me a Thank You card and 2 $50 Visa Gift Cards. I'm glad that I was able to give him back those memories. Thanks to everyone who has followed this thread! You can see the news coverage and full story here: Owner reunited with missing ring 51 years later

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome good deed. You are an upstanding young man, a credit to this hobby and everything else. I bet your parents are very proud as we all are here at Tnet.
JUDOS to you Cody. :notworthy:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going on the return. Your story has helped detectorists in your area tremendously. I just hope others in your area are as caring and upstanding as you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread