Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently took a two-week vacation with my wife and stepson to England to visit with my in-laws (my wife is British). My father-in-law is a retired vicar (priest in the Anglican church); he retired a little over a year ago as vicar of a very old church in a tiny village in Norfolk County. My in-laws are good friends with the owners of a huge "hall", which is basically a large mansion on an estate, that was built in the early 1600's. I received permission from the owners to metal detect on the grounds of the estate.

Hall.jpg

One day as I was detecting not far from the main entrance to the hall I got a really good signal about 8 inches deep. When I uncovered part of the target I saw a round gold object with roman numerals around a dial and I instantly knew that it was a gold pocket watch!

20150710_202746.jpg

It's an 18 carat gold Dent pocket watch with an elaborate monogram on the back side. The case is in superb condition. Dent actually built the clock mechanism inside of Big Ben, and was the official clock/watch maker to the queen.

2015-07-15_00.51.58.jpg

2015-07-15_00.40.48.jpg

2015-07-15_00.39.51.jpg

2015-07-15_00.33.57.jpg

2015-07-15_00.35.38.jpg

2015-07-15_00.36.42.jpg

After cleaning the watch I took it to the owners of the estate. They took one look at the monogram and immediately recognized it as a family monogram, so it belonged to one of their ancestors. After hearing this I said, "Then it's yours." They were both astounded by the fact that I found it and very grateful to me for giving the watch to them. To me it was a no-brainer; there was no way that I would have kept a family heirloom, and besides they were very generous to let me detect on their property. It really made me feel good to return the watch to the family, where it belongs. After returning to the US I did a lot of research & found out that the watch if restored would be worth several thousand dollars. Even so I have no regrets and would have done exactly the same thing if I had known this at the time.

The case was made by James Weir of Glasgow, Scotland. His company made watch cases from 1891 to the 1920's, so that pins down the age of the watch to those years.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a awesome find and even better return! Good job! [emoji2]

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow and Wow...Great job! Better yet, please post some of your other finds. Just looking at that manor makes me drool for a detector.

aj

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be posting them soon-the coppers have been soaking in mineral oil. 8-) Based on what I found I don't think the property has ever been detected.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great photos and even better story. What a stand-up thing to do in returning it to the family from whence it came! One of the great return stories on this site and definitely deserves an Honorable Mention!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW... That is a stunning find!

When you told me you found a pocket watch, I had no idea it would be that sweet. That is one awesome find! I think that was a really class act move to return it to the family.

I would have been torn between greed and doing the right thing... it would have been an epic battle between right and right now!

Is this a banner find? It's 18K and 100 years old... and that monogram is killer, as well as identifies the long lost owner. Let's see what the other TNet members think. It would look nice up top...

Congrats on a really nice find, as well as kudos for the return.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , Great find/return that should continue your access to that property for years to come ! Did you recover any silver coins
on this property ?

( Yes - Banner ! )

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was so caught up in the pics and return story, but yes, definitely a Banner Find as well! :thumbsup: I cast my vote for Banner and Honorable Mention!

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is a banner find. Great photos, and the watch was given back to the descendants. This needs to be on the banner for those reasons:

High Value and made of solid gold
Great photos and story
Returned to the family

Congrats on such a great find, and having an awesome story to tell--and most importantly for doing the right thing!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting to hunt that property! Congrats on the watch! Props for turning the watch over to the owners...way to shine a positive light on the hobby. I can't wait to see the rest of your finds!!!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super find and great thing you did to give it to them. Good karma heading your way. Banner vote also!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and return DnD. I've been looking for your post I agree Banner vote in.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, a no brainer on the return.

On the positive side, I'm sure your be welcome back anytime.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!

What a Great story from start to finish. Find of a life and returned to stay in the family for years to come.

DEFINITELY Banner!!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not only drooling at the gold watch, but the property is amazing :notworthy:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably over a ounce of 18k there but man no everyone would have done what u did but great job man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread