Garrett Ace 250

Attachments

• leo amolini 1a.jpg
    leo amolini 1a.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,354

Hooty

Greenie
Jun 24, 2006
This is interesting(but maybe a long shot! as some were made with and without it) but if you look on the side of the medal towards the bottom left hand point there may be an issue number that may help in tracking the recipient.

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
Go to your local library, or the nearest library, where they have microfilmed newspaper archives. If he was KIA then I am sure his hometown rag would have had an article about him, and maybe even a picture.

Keep trying to find a relative. Something like this would be wonderful to give back and good karma will pay you back double.

UPDATE: There is a Leo J. Amolini that was KIA while serving with the 413th Regiment, 104th Infantry Division.
http://timberwolf104.tripod.com/memorial1.html
And a page about the 104th: http://www.104infdiv.org/

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks alot everyone,

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. But I did however sucessfully give the medal back.

It is an amazing story. I wanted to save it for W&E magazine. I can't explain the whole story right now. But it is a amazing one. I have it on my desk top all ready to be sent in. I have just been so busy I haven't done so yet.

It is probably been close to a yr now since it was returned. The family was so pleased to have it back I can't even begin to tell you all.

Maybe I should get this one finished and off to the mag. This guy really deserves his story to be out there.

Thanks for all the support on this one everyone.

HH Jer

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That's wonderful you were able to return it....can't wait to read about it in an upcoming issue of W&E (I now subscribe to it :)). I can wait for the issue...will keep me in suspense :)

Congrats!
Annmarie

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
JerDfx:
Great story; just read the entire thread--for the first time--gave me 'goosebumps'. Great find, great research and 'priceless' reward in giving it back to the recipients famiy. I, too, look forward to the story. Perhaps you could place it on this thread after it's published.
Don.....
USAF Operating Room Tech
1963-1969

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A neat find, and very unusual.

My take on this matter, is that your guy was probably killed in action, and had a military funeral, and the medal would have been given to his wife or mother or some other relative at the time he was buried. One of his kids probably lost it some time later while playing with it. Just a wild hunch, but makes sense.

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post!!! All the way from the beggining to the end. Thank you Jeremy for sharing it. That's truly a find of a lifetime

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WWI started in 1917. If the man was KIA then the metal would have been presented to his next of kin. I'd bet you some kid, maybe his son, grandson, etc, got his hands on it and pinned it on himself and went out to play.

Ken

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great stuff, Jer. What a great feeling it must have been when you located his family. :) :)

I hope you got pictures of the event. 8)

blitz67

Sep 25, 2005
This man was killed in action in WWII and the medal was forwarded to his next of kin by the war department. Generally WWII purple hearts are not named unless the man was KIA. This is not a hard and fast rule but is the general rule. WWI veterans who were wounded in action or killed in action were also awarded the purple heart when in was authorized in the 1930s, these are usually named.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
So where is the story? W&ET? Whiteselectronics.com? What happened Jer? Send in that story! I want to read it.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Sorry guys,

It's still not out yet. I feal really selfish not sending this story in. It is already done. It's been proof read and everything. Now the hard and time consuming part. Putting it all together for publication. It can take some hrs to get done.

Anyone who has submited a story to W&E knows how they want things done. Pics burned to disc. Everything printed all up ect....

I will get it out here soon. Maybe next week. I have some time off from work. Sorry to keep you all in suspence.

HH Jer

tpmrcp

Dec 31, 2006
East Stroudsburg, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the VA website he was buried at Arlington National Cemetary

AMOLINI, LEO J
ILLEG
DATE OF DEATH: 04/12/1945
BURIED AT: SECTION 12 SITE 7077
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
C/O DIRECTOR ARLINGTON, VA 22211
(703) 607-8000

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Wow what a great story. Can't wait to read the whole thing. Can only imagine how emotional a reunion it must have been for the family.

Cheers to you JerDfx

able_walker

Jun 25, 2007
Cool story...not least for all the input various people have had in advancing it.We can wait another few months to read the full story in print.It's been a couple of years,what's another few months ;).

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome Jer! I will be looking for the story in W&E however, if you get it to them within a few weeks it will still take a few months to get published. I did the same thing with my gold coin, did a write up, had the coin tested for authenticity and just did not send it in. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread