JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
READ THE UPDATE HERE.

Hi guys don't know if I should put this one up here but anyways. I found this 3 yrs ago at my grandmother's house circa 1905. It was found in the back yard of the house were an old shed used to be many years ago. I also did some research on the area's history right. Her next door neighbor housed the first plumbing buisness in the area around 1900. There was a small set up in there backyard before the house was built. But through old pictures I estimated that I found this target about 20 ft away from the actual shop. Don't know if it was from the guy who owned the house before my grandmother. Or was it the guys who housed the plumbing buisness. Or was it lost by someone when the neighbors house was put up about the same time of 1905. I think it's a rare find. Don't think I'll come across any more purple hearts. I don't know if it's ww1 or ww2. The guys name is on the back but I couldn't find him in the government records. Hope you relic guys enjoy this one.

Good Luck HH Jeremy.

Attachments

• purple heart.jpg
    purple heart.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 3,946

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Jer,

If you don't mind doing so you should post the name and the town where it was located, there may be someone on here that can be of additional help in tracking down the family. Excellent find that could turn into quite a story if it could be returned.

Regards,

Kevin
USN '91-'95

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Very nice find Jeremy, some kid more then likely took it out of the house and lost it.I would continue my reasearch for other faimley members.nice job.HH

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys. Yeah I know. It could turn out to be some type of mystery story solved if I could locate the family. I live in Pittsburgh P.A. That is were the item was found. The guys name on the back is Leo J Amolini. If anyone needs additional info I have no problems. Hope this helps some. If anyone brings his name up on file or records let me know. Take care guy's Jeremy

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi Guys, Yeah that would be it. I live in allegheny co. That's his name. So I'm assuming he served in ww2. There is a good chance he is still alive today. Makes alot of sence. Grandmother bought the house in the 60's I think. She mentioned that the name sounded familar and she thought that that's who lived there before her. Now just to figure out how you would track someone down. Do I head to the phone book and just start calling people. Or is there a easier way to locate someone. Anyways thanks you guys who took the time to bring up that info for me. I'll keep you posted on if I can make any family contacts.

Take care Jeremy

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm not Mistaken ROOT said KIA & I believe that means no he isn't alive, but His Family Would be.? BY THE WAY ; I'd start with the Phone Book, Call & ask if they Knew Him. Cool Find, Good Luck,;jeff

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sorry guys I didn't realize Kia. So I guess the only thing I could do is give it back to the family or maybe he had a son or something who would cherish it if I found them. I thought you only received these awards if you were wounded and lived. Or if you got killed did they just award your family your stuff. It's interesting to know. Thanks you guys are sharp on this forum when it comes down to identification. I'm going to be spending some more time here getting more familiar with the web site. Take care guys bye.

rck_1

Oct 9, 2004
Knightdale, NC
Jer,
It is possible that he was injured during WWII and was awarded the purple heart and after he was KIA his belongings were sent to his spouse.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's a great find.
If you wish to return item to a family member - contact me via private message.
I have a name, address, and phone # of possible relative. They are in correct
area. May or may not be related to deceased. Up to you...

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
JerDfx said:
Sorry guys I didn't realize Kia. So I guess the only thing I could do is give it back to the family or maybe he had a son or something who would cherish it if I found them. I thought you only received these awards if you were wounded and lived. Or if you got killed did they just award your family your stuff. It's interesting to know. Thanks you guys are sharp on this forum when it comes down to identification. I'm going to be spending some more time here getting more familiar with the web site. Take care guys bye.

There's another possibility. There might have been a Leo Amolini who was killed during WWII without receiving a Purple Heart, but had a son who fought in Korea or Vietnam, and was wounded. Also, the Leo Amolini from WWII might have received several Purple Hearts, especially if he fought in the Ardenne (Battle of the Bulge) or in the South Pacific, and was killed later. Many servicemen were transferred to the Pacific theater after the Nazis were defeated. He may have survived Europe, but not the Japanese.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Wow there could be so many possibilities to this one. You guys are alot older than I am and know more about this stuff. I'm just a ripe 23 so I know alot of you have to have a good 20 yrs on me. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me on this one. Ocean I will contact you through private message. Thanks for coming up with that info. Take care Guys.

HH Jeremy

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck. I admire you for returning it to his family. It's the right thing to do. I'm sure his family will be thankful.

S

SonjaMarie

This kind of thing is fascinating, please let us know if you find him or his family, and how the story ends or doesn't.

Sonja Marie

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I'll keep all of you guys posted on the progress of this one. I have had it for 3 yrs now and haven't done anything yet. I'm so busy with 2 younge kids and everything else that extra time is hard to come by. Thanks to all who have shown interest in this item.

Good Luck HH Jeremy

T

tank

kia= killed in action. ph would be awarded posthumously if appropriate( killed in combat) have a friend with 13 ph awards in european theater and he still drinks like a fish at 84!!

R

RDR2005

Just my thoughts : Probably didn't have children as he was PFC private first class . but you never know,
I would check public/county records with that last name, or put his name in a genealogy web site,something may show up that way .
nice find, hope you find the family, I know they would love to have this back.
Raymond [ Texas ]

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yeah I would think it would be an important piece of family history. I won't solve this one over night but you guys have been great on the info.

Thanks again Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread