πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Fallen Officers Memorial bracelet found and returned 5-6 years later

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I thought people would like to see this story and how far this bracelet moved.
WHAT AN AMAZING STORY - As I posted back in May of this year on my own Facebook page, I found this bracelet while metal detecting just north of the Pier. After a long search I finally found the owner, special thanks to Ronnie Ward and everyone else involved putting this great return into play.
Officer David Whitson was fatally shot in the line of duty in 2006 in Bowling Green Kentucky nine years ago. The bracelets were made and worn in his memory. His commanding officer wore this bracelet always and while visiting Vilano beach around 5 to 6 years ago, something he did yearly, he lost the bracelet in the surf. His wife said he was devastated.
Fast forward to 2015, I found this bracelet while metal detecting the pumped in sand near the Anastasia main beach entrance one day when it cut a nice cliff into the sand. It is highly likely that this bracelet went through the dredging process and survived.
I contacted the Bowling Green police department and reached Ronnie Ward who in turn had a mass email sent out to find the owner. From that email many people contacted Mr Rich's wife asking if they lost their bracelet in St. Augustine, they had.
Today I was able to speak with Kim Rich, the wife of the bracelet owner and have arranged for it to be mailed back to them no charge.
I can't even put into words how amazing and humbling this entire experience has been. It is a huge honor to me to get this bracelet back to it's original owner. The sentiment behind it is priceless. These men and woman put their lives on the line every day for very little pay so that WE can have a safer lifestyle. This great man gave his life and I for one am honored to get this back to his commanding officer.
Thank you Ronnie Ward for your part in finding the owner. Today the bracelet will be in the mail back to Mr. Rich.

Update: Made the news... You can read the story here. http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/bracelet-lost-several-years-ago-on-a-florida-beach-returned/article_940b7b99-8921-51c7-8c7f-a13e82f4df55.html

Attachments

• bracelet.jpg
    bracelet.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 145
  • officer.jpg
    officer.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 147
  • map of bracelet.jpg
    map of bracelet.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 148
  • pier filled in.jpg
    pier filled in.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Barbara! Sometimes the toughest ones are the most rewarding in the end.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations, not only for the great story and return... but also for my opportunity to nominate your efforts as "Honorable Mention"

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Thank you everyone, wow I am humbled! The response on my facebook page is overwhelming, within a few hours it has 118 shares. I'm overwhelmed by it all. Thank you for the honorable mention. This has truly been my most memorable and meaningful return.

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
As of today - this bracelet is back home in Kentucky with it's original owner. I believe the local paper in Kentucky and the TV station is doing a story about this return. I've spoken to one reporter already. Nearly 500 shares on Facebook. I am honored to have been able to help get this sentimental memorial bracelet back to it's rightful owner.

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story! I've always felt that treasures reside in fill and moved dirt, I've just never got anything but cola cans. The odds of that bracelet turning up under your coil is just phenomenal!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread