TheCoolest

Jun 26, 2012
Salish Sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Garrett AT Pro/AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I found a military dog tag in a nearby park. Last night I did a few hours of research and found out he lives about 60 miles away, Then found a phone number. Gave him a call this morning but got an answering machine that had the correct name on it so I left a message. He called back and told me he probably lost it 30 plus years ago. After returning from Viet Nam ,he had a cabin in the area at that time...I thanked him for his service and told him I would be mailing it . He sounded very excited. What a great feeling and a fun find. I blacked out his info.
UPDATE
I got a thank you card from him so I thought I would share.

Attachments

• 1450465409256.jpg
    1450465409256.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Thank You Card 2.jpg
    Thank You Card 2.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCoolest

TheCoolest

Jun 26, 2012
Salish Sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recover and return to owner.
:notworthy:Honorable Mention vote, for sure
Don....... (USAF)

Thank You, USAF ? Thank You for your service

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent job!

OP
OP
TheCoolest

TheCoolest

Jun 26, 2012
Salish Sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good job returning it. Thanks for taking the time to find him.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find and return! :occasion14:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The coolest,
Yes, thank you; and I know the exact feeling you expressed.
I expressed my return GI IDs feelings in my two Honorable Mentions; just click on my "+" sign.
If I can get my techie son to assist, someday I'll post a video of an American Legion ceremony where a dog tag was returned to a WW II soldier who lost his tag near the beach at Normandy,found by a great French TH-er, who advised me of the find, asking if I could see if the soldier was still alive; or, could I find the next of kin. I found the hero, alive, and coordinated with his local American Legion for a Memorial Day ceremony returning the tag to him--in his wheelchair. He may not have thought it was a 'big deal', but for the Frenchmen who found the tag and for myself, it was a great feeling.

Don......

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool.right on time for Christmas too.Bet he was shocked!How do you vote for Honorable mention?banner button?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , thanks Don

OP
OP
TheCoolest

TheCoolest

Jun 26, 2012
Salish Sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coolest,
Yes, thank you; and I know the exact feeling you expressed.
I expressed my return GI IDs feelings in my two Honorable Mentions; just click on my "+" sign.
If I can get my techie son to assist, someday I'll post a video of an American Legion ceremony where a dog tag was returned to a WW II soldier who lost his tag near the beach at Normandy,found by a great French TH-er, who advised me of the find, asking if I could see if the soldier was still alive; or, could I find the next of kin. I found the hero, alive, and coordinated with his local American Legion for a Memorial Day ceremony returning the tag to him--in his wheelchair. He may not have thought it was a 'big deal', but for the Frenchmen who found the tag and for myself, it was a great feeling.

Don......

That's really cool, two great stories,Nicely done sir. What's funny to me is that all week I had been making a personal report of my great uncle's time in Normandy. From Utah, liberating Saint Fromond ,the Battle of St Lo before being killed during the Battle for Mortain. He's Burried at the Brittany American cemetery in France.I decided to take a break and do some detecting and the dog tag was my only decent find. This was also my first thing that I could actually return.

OP
OP
TheCoolest

TheCoolest

Jun 26, 2012
Salish Sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool.right on time for Christmas too.Bet he was shocked!How do you vote for Honorable mention?banner button?

Thanks! I did put it in a Christmas card.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted to find something that ties in with a land owner or their family to give them just to say thank you, but to no avail so far.Thats awesome you went the extra mile to put a smile on some ones face.Has to be a good feeling for both partys.

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a nice thing for you to do for this Vet. This time of year can get all kinds of crazy so I am glad to hear you took the time to do this. I am hoping your next coin is a BIG SILVER one. Have a great Christmas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread