digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an up date on the class ring I found a few days ago. The ring had a partial first name in it and a full last name . I Googled the the class of 1983 for the school that was on the ring . The search brought up the schools yearbook for that year . I got an instant match on the last name but the first name wasn't even close .So after a Google search of the name that was in the yearbook it turns out that person lives in the same town where the Highschool is also I should add that that town and school is about 150 miles from where I found the ring. So I thought maybe the letters in the ring may have been a nickname or at least this person may know who owned the ring . A few searches later of the first name gave me a phone # and an address. I made the phone call and after a few mins of small talk I ask the guy on the phone if he in fact graduated from that school in 1983 and that I had found a class ring while metal detecting. I told him the that the last name in the ring matched his but the first name did not . I told him I could only make out the first two letters of the first name it looked like "Bo" or Be". The guys voice instantly changed and began crack . He told me the was not his he said " that would be my brother Ben" . He explained to me that BEn had suffered a massive stroke 3 years ago and and had passed away . He also explained that his parents had a summer home about 15 miles from where I live . So his brother may have lost it on one of there family vacations . He offered to drive the 150 mile to pick up the ring . And I told him there was no need to do that I would drop in the mail and that I was sorry for his family's loss and I was glad that I could return the ring back to the family ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 177

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fantastic story and thanks for sharing. One reason I love returning rings, you find history and you find people that have sentimental attachment to them. I would also mail that with no charge.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an up date on the class ring I found a few days ago. The ring had a partial first name in it and a full last name . I Googled the the class of 1983 for the school that was on the ring . The search brought up the schools yearbook for that year . I got an instant match on the last name but the first name wasn't even close .So after a Google search of the name that was in the yearbook it turns out that person lives in the same town where the Highschool is also I should add that that town and school is about 150 miles from where I found the ring. So I thought maybe the letters in the ring may have been a nickname or at least this person may know who owned the ring . A few searches later of the first name gave me a phone # and an address. I made the phone call and after a few mins of small talk I ask the guy on the phone if he in fact graduated from that school in 1983 and that I had found a class ring while metal detecting. I told him the that the last name in the ring matched his but the first name did not . I told him I could only make out the first two letters of the first name it looked like "Bo" or Be". The guys voice instantly changed and began crack . He told me the was not his he said " that would be my brother Ben" . He explained to me that BEn had suffered a massive stroke 3 years ago and and had passed away . He also explained that his parents had a summer home about 15 miles from where I live . So his brother may have lost it on one of there family vacations . He offered to drive the 150 mile to pick up the ring . And I told him there was no need to do that I would drop in the mail and that I was sorry for his family's loss and I was glad that I could return the ring back to the family ..

Wow, incredible. Good on you - what a meaningful return! loved reading this.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very rewarding to be part of that, good job.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Touching story and Great return!! Hope karma returns the favor to you.

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Thanks for taking the time to share this story. Major kudos to you for the research, time and effort in locating the original owner of this ring. I'm sure it will be a special keepsake for the surviving family members. :notworthy:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story! You made the family members very happy! WTG! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos to you DD, I had a tears swelling up in y eyes as I read your post. You are a credit to the hobby.

I nominate "Honorable Mention"

Maybe someday I'll have a chance to shine like you did.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Great job on the research.

OP
OP
digger dad

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank everyone for the kind words !! It really was very rewarding for me to give back to the family that has lost so much . Also my 11 year old son was with me when we found the ring so he was involved in the whole process of the return . It was just as rewarding to me to teach him a life lesson that every young person should learn ..

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent job!

:weee:

OP
OP
digger dad

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT is more than worth the Honorable Mention that I've already submitted. Nice job, Dad. :0)

Thank you Skippy, I really appreciate that !!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was it sent back yet ?

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great story. Thanks for sharing as I was touched by it. So great to be a part of this online community and hobby. A wonderful example of MD as well as to your son. Glad he was able to see you act with integrity and empathy. WTG!!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your story deserves to be told and retold so that the ones who detract from this hobby ( the fakers, liars and general miscreants ) are forgotten by the public and the people like you that care about doing the right thing can have the spotlight. I know his family would help you in any way they could. Thank you for helping them recover a bit of their lost family memories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread