πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Beautiful Diamond Wedding Ring Found and Returned!

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me just say that today was really rewarding helping someone else out, I wasn't really expecting that!

The last couple of weeks have been very slow for good detecting spots, so I have been watching the Lost and Found to see if I can help anyone out with missing items. Last night a man posted that they lost a wedding ring at the beach. I sent him an email asking if I could help them to look for it.

LostRingAd.jpg

I got an email from the husband this morning. It was his wife's wedding ring. She is 6 months pregnant also. They went to the beach for the day and she changed into a bathing suit and put the ring in her pants pocket. When they left the beach she shook the sand off the pants and that's when they think the ring fell out. There was also a chance it fell out in the parking lot, which of course wouldn't be good. The husband and wife were only staying in the local area for a couple days and his wife was obviously really upset about losing it because the center diamond of the ring was from his or her mother (can't remember which). They were expecting someone to possibly help them in the morning (I couldn't get out to search until later) so I gave him my number and told him to call or text later if the other guy doesn't show up or if he doesn't find it.

So I got a call a little later and of course the other guy didn't show up. The beach was only about 10 minutes away and his wife was actually waiting at the beach for the guy who didn't show up. So I got to the beach and met the wife. We talked for a few minutes about where they were on the beach and I tried to get a sense of how far the ring might have traveled when she lost it. Once I got the info I told her I'd give it a try and I started to grid-detect the area. When I started searching, she hovered nearby and when I would find something she would look over at me hopefully to see if I had her ring. I explained to her that most people are surprised with how many metal items show up in the sand, especially on a small busy beach like this one. I let her know that I was going to recover every target I found regardless of the sound it made because it was a pretty small search area, and sometimes larger gold rings make a different tone etc. She realized it wouldn't do her much good to wait and see what every item was, and took her two kids off to another part of the beach while I continued searching.

So she went to the other part of the beach and I kept detecting. By now I'm only about 10 minutes into the search, I've pulled a quarter, a couple small trashy targets, and a penny... and then I get a nice loud tone. I'm thinking NO WAY is this thing still here and I managed to find it that fast. But it was a nice loud tone, and I could tell it wasn't as deep as the other targets I just dug. I didn't want to damage it just in case it was her ring, so I started taking a thin layer of sand away with the scoop until the signal was gone. I gently shook the sand out of the scoop and all I see is a beautiful white gold diamond wedding ring in the bottom of the scoop. I was in total shock that I found it, and my hands decided not to work when I went to pick it up I dropped it right back into the sand (it completely disappeared again, ha). I picked it up again and I had a nice rush of adrenaline there.

At this point, the woman is about 30 feet away on the beach with her kids and her back is turned the other direction. I started walking over to her, and I'm trying to keep my excitement down. About half way there she see's me and I can see on her face this guarded/hopeful look that I found her ring. As I start walking closer I hold it up in my hand and when she realizes it really is her ring she is instantly shocked, relieved, emotional and thankful. I imagine it probably felt like such a huge relief that it wasn't lost forever. She gave me a big hug and thanked me about a dozen times for finding it, and she told me that she cried constantly for the last 24 hours because she thought she had lost it for good. She started tearing up after having it in her hands for a few minutes, and I knew that as soon as I left she was going to call her husband up and share the good news. I got a follow up phone call from her husband who was very excited and thankful that I offered to look for it for them. Altogether, for me it was a memorable experience and I look forward to helping others find items when opportunities happen.

-Nate

IMG_6872.JPG

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding work...very gratifying, and a moment that she and her family will remember and tell for years. Bet you made their vacation...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nate.... You did a really good thing and my hats off to ya buddy. It's always a great feeling when you can help somebody out and make them feel good. GREAT JOB!!!... Brad

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on the find and return. Great write up.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great recovery Just Put you In For And Honorable Mention, HH Chug

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nate; Great Job Well Done. I hereby Vote Honorable Mention. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every detectorist needs to have at least one return like that...one that overwhelms the trusting soul who lost their ring, and put their trust in you, and to us hobbyists....who don't flinch when handing over a heirloom worth thousands, and feeling like the best guy in the world.

Looking forward to your Honorable Mention icon beneath your avatar. :occasion14:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Nate, great play by play. Big wave-Dave is right: Everyone one of us md'rs needs a story or two like this, for when it comes time for show & tell to the relatives of our collections. Ie.: other ways the hobby works. The sherlock holmes "who-dunnit mysteries" we sometimes do ! And since I know that particular beach, it was a fun read as well.

Your story also shows the gut human instinct of the divine in all of us. You know ... a sense when helping others of satisfaction beyond the here-&-now. And that it'll come back to you in-the-end sort-of-thing. Where you get more satisfaction in helping someone, than simple financial gain. No amount of money can buy that feeling of coming-to someone's rescue like that.

If they didn't buy you a 12-pack, or dinner-at a swanky place in Monterey, then you got it coming from me :)

DaleinFL

Jun 18, 2016
Port St Lucie, FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 ///
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a great story to share, thanks so much, I bet she will not take any rings to the beach next time.
I went out to beach today but no rings, found some fishing lures (Sinkers), then got too hot.
Thanks - Dale

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nate; Sorry about the misspell in your name there. I edited it ok. I hate when I do that. Ruins my Perfect Image don't ya knows ?? :icon_scratch: :tongue3: PEACE:RONB

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the ring recovery and return! :occasion14: Thank you for sharing the wonderful story, you sure made her day!

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When i read these kind of stories, it almost makes me wish i hunted beaches/jewelry.

You definitely have some good luck coming your way!

~Tejaas~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread