πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Didn't find the ring, but, this is what I DID find!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the owner who lost it. Actually, the daughter of the owner lost it. Here's the story......I was hunting a local beach with Jeepgold and talking with him about our good ring finds. He mentioned that he had found a class ring back in October 2015, but, was unable to find the owner. Since he had no use for it, he offered it to me for scrap value. I figured I'd give finding the owner a try and decided to buy it. That was in Late February or early March, I think. I believed it to be a woman's ring and it came from Washington High School class of 1983. After deciding what the mascot on the ring was, and figuring out which WHS in the U.S. it came from, I tried to find a yearbook for that year and class to match up the initials inside the ring. For some reason, that yearbook doesn't seem to be available online. OK, next, I contacted the school and asked for their help in location someone with those initials. They said they do some research and get back to me. Well, over a month goes by with no response, so, I send them another e-mail asking about the progress. They say their still looking. Another month goes by, so, I send them another message. They respond a couple of days later saying that nobody in that class had those initials and suggested I call Jostens to see if they could help. I e-mail Jostens and they replied back a couple of days later claiming that their records only go back 4 years! I found that a bit odd, but, whatever....another dead end.
I then started Googling the school again to see if I could find some more info. I finally stumbled onto the class of '83 reunion page on Facebook where I left a message asking if anyone had lost a ring down here in San Diego. A couple of weeks go by and no response. I was just about to give up. I went back to the reunion page and found an e-mail address for a woman that was on the reunion committee. Since all the posts were at least 3 years old, I was hoping the address was still good. I sent her the story and asked for her help. The next day, I get an e-mail from the woman who originally bought the ring! She explained that her daughter had been down here and lost the ring while surfing and they were very sad over it's loss. The location matched the area where Jeepgold had found it and her initials matched, so, it looks like we have a winner here! The ring should be heading back home tomorrow to a couple of now, very happy, women. Jeepgold already posted a photo of the ring, but, I'll add mine to the mix too.

Attachments

• 100_1473.jpg
    100_1473.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 460

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is a great story. I always ask for the library. They have all the yearbooks and so far most the librarians have been awesome and glad to help. The office not so much.

I have different values now. I still return rings and find owners. However, if I have to mail them I ask for postage up front. I have been burned a few times. I decided I wasn't going to be out the gold, the time finding the owner and postage on top of that.

Congrats on finding the owner and the return. I will vote Honorable Mention

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats great you are the kind of people that make this world a better place to live in Good job and another good check mark for all of us. Thanks for sharing the story love reading this kind of thing. Honorable mention also

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story. Hats off to you for your persistence.

HH RN

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a lot of work on your part, going the extra mile to return that ring. Excellent job, I nominate honourable mention as well!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I hereby Vote Honorable Mention. You went above and beyond the call of Duty on this one. You deserve it. CONGRATS. Great Job done. Vote is in now. PEACE:RONB

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story! Congratualtions too you for the difficult research and location. Your kindness made someone very happy! :occasion14:

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, I kinda like the detective work and get great satisfaction in returning something with sentimental value like class and wedding rings.....whether I get paid for it or not.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your diligence-I know they appreciate it. Honorable Mention vote is in.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was this sent back yet ?

Last Words I see were on Aug 07, 2016 :

The ring should be heading back home tomorrow

"Should" & "was" mean 2 different Things in My dictionary
cool.gif

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was shipped back on Monday. The only reason I said "should" is that I was waiting to hear from them to find out how much insurance they wanted me to put on it. I haven't heard whether they have received it yet. They need to sign for it, so, that might take and extra day if they work during delivery time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was shipped back on Monday. The only reason I said "should" is that I was waiting to hear from them to find out how much insurance they wanted me to put on it. I haven't heard whether they have received it yet. They need to sign for it, so, that might take and extra day if they work during delivery time.

Reason I asked Because I'm 61 & I'm still waiting for some
Promises to be Kept since I was a small Child :laughing7:

Not everyone does as they say they Will.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats going above and beyond!
Well done!

I mailed one back to the owner and haven't heard a peep! :(

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Glad you got it back to the owner Mark. Now I need to find some more for you :)

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They've received the ring and everyone is happy!
:hello2:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that was some detective work. Congrats to you for following thru.

Beachlover

Greenie
Nov 15, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Primary Interest:
What a fantastic story, with a happy ending. Not always do things work out perfect like this, but it’s so nice to see someone being a better person, an honest person, putting a strangers feelings first and foremost. You definitely deserve each and every honourable mention, and more! Keep being the great person that you are! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread