Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Didnt find the ring, but, this is what I DID find!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4155 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Didn't find the ring, but, this is what I DID find!

I found the owner who lost it. Actually, the daughter of the owner lost it. Here's the story......I was hunting a local beach with Jeepgold and talking with him about our good ring finds. He mentioned that he had found a class ring back in October 2015, but, was unable to find the owner. Since he had no use for it, he offered it to me for scrap value. I figured I'd give finding the owner a try and decided to buy it. That was in Late February or early March, I think. I believed it to be a woman's ring and it came from Washington High School class of 1983. After deciding what the mascot on the ring was, and figuring out which WHS in the U.S. it came from, I tried to find a yearbook for that year and class to match up the initials inside the ring. For some reason, that yearbook doesn't seem to be available online. OK, next, I contacted the school and asked for their help in location someone with those initials. They said they do some research and get back to me. Well, over a month goes by with no response, so, I send them another e-mail asking about the progress. They say their still looking. Another month goes by, so, I send them another message. They respond a couple of days later saying that nobody in that class had those initials and suggested I call Jostens to see if they could help. I e-mail Jostens and they replied back a couple of days later claiming that their records only go back 4 years! I found that a bit odd, but, whatever....another dead end.
    I then started Googling the school again to see if I could find some more info. I finally stumbled onto the class of '83 reunion page on Facebook where I left a message asking if anyone had lost a ring down here in San Diego. A couple of weeks go by and no response. I was just about to give up. I went back to the reunion page and found an e-mail address for a woman that was on the reunion committee. Since all the posts were at least 3 years old, I was hoping the address was still good. I sent her the story and asked for her help. The next day, I get an e-mail from the woman who originally bought the ring! She explained that her daughter had been down here and lost the ring while surfing and they were very sad over it's loss. The location matched the area where Jeepgold had found it and her initials matched, so, it looks like we have a winner here! The ring should be heading back home tomorrow to a couple of now, very happy, women. Jeepgold already posted a photo of the ring, but, I'll add mine to the mix too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1473.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	481.8 KB 
ID:	1344998  
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2016
    Port Huron MI
    2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable) Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
    7074 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That is a great story. I always ask for the library. They have all the yearbooks and so far most the librarians have been awesome and glad to help. The office not so much.

I have different values now. I still return rings and find owners. However, if I have to mail them I ask for postage up front. I have been burned a few times. I decided I wasn't going to be out the gold, the time finding the owner and postage on top of that.

Congrats on finding the owner and the return. I will vote Honorable Mention
    Turbo21 likes this.
    Please leave a ring after the beep. Thank You.

****Always be yourself. The people that matter don't mind, and the people that mind just don't matter. ****

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    4506 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Thats great you are the kind of people that make this world a better place to live in Good job and another good check mark for all of us. Thanks for sharing the story love reading this kind of thing. Honorable mention also
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Joe

Nov 2014
    VA
    Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
    5483 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    That's a great story. Hats off to you for your persistence.

HH RN

ca
    Nov 2010
    Canada
    XP Deus, ATPro
    5952 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That was a lot of work on your part, going the extra mile to return that ring. Excellent job, I nominate honourable mention as well!!

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    2617 times
    Great job and many happy returns to you for such a good deed.

us
    Nov 2011
    BOSTON
    Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
    1815 times
    Hi; I hereby Vote Honorable Mention. You went above and beyond the call of Duty on this one. You deserve it. CONGRATS. Great Job done. Vote is in now. PEACE:RONB

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    7094 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Great story! Congratualtions too you for the difficult research and location. Your kindness made someone very happy!

Charter Member
    us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    12317 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congrats to you for all the work on the return
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4155 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Thanks everyone, I kinda like the detective work and get great satisfaction in returning something with sentimental value like class and wedding rings.....whether I get paid for it or not.

us
    Colonial relic hound

Jun 2015
    South Carolina
    Minelab CTX3030
    2366 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thank you for your diligence-I know they appreciate it. Honorable Mention vote is in.
    Notable 2017 Finds:

- 18th century paste knee buckle
    - Partial Prussian/Union army musket butt plate
    - SC militia buttons (5)
    - One-piece Artillery Corps cuff buttons (5)
    - Annular buckle (pre-1720s)
    - (2) King George II halfpennies (1753 & no date)
    - 1836 capped bust half dime
    - 1857 flying eagle cent
    - 1877 seated dime
    - Early Edgefield pottery jug

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    21793 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    was this sent back yet ?

Last Words I see were on Aug 07, 2016 :

The ring should be heading back home tomorrow
    "Should" & "was" mean 2 different Things in My dictionary

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    4155 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Yes, it was shipped back on Monday. The only reason I said "should" is that I was waiting to hear from them to find out how much insurance they wanted me to put on it. I haven't heard whether they have received it yet. They need to sign for it, so, that might take and extra day if they work during delivery time.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    21793 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Yes, it was shipped back on Monday. The only reason I said "should" is that I was waiting to hear from them to find out how much insurance they wanted me to put on it. I haven't heard whether they have received it yet. They need to sign for it, so, that might take and extra day if they work during delivery time.

Reason I asked Because I'm 61 & I'm still waiting for some
    Promises to be Kept since I was a small Child

Not everyone does as they say they Will.

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    8247 times
    Thats going above and beyond!
    Well done!

I mailed one back to the owner and haven't heard a peep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links