Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I golfed with my father in law today, at the annual roundup marking the end of the season and the closing of the clubhouse for the year. Time to bleed the lines and close it up for the winter.

After the golf, sitting around the clubhouse chit chatting and having a steak supper, a woman tapped me on the shoulder. She said "I heard you found a cufflink with the initials W.M. in my yard last year, could I please have a picture of it?". She introduced herself as the owner of the old house where I found the cufflink. She lives far away, and only comes up once a year to check on the house. An elderly friend of mine who watches the house when she's gone got me permission. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474860965.209242.jpg

In the 1930's, her great grandparents bought the house from the the original owner and builder named William M_ _ _ _ _ _. The house was built in 1905 and is a gorgeous house, the nicest house in the area from that era. He was the banker, and rather successful I'd say. She has done tons of research on the family and the house, and has even gained landmark status getting this house onto the National Register of Historic Places. I didn't realize just how much she loves this house and the history surrounding it until I met and spoke with her tonight.

Locals told me that the property had been detected to death years ago, and for being such a good looking yard the finds were very scarce. No silver, only a few cents, and not even much junk. When I found the cufflink I was ecstatic! To me it was better than any coin. I spent many, many hours online trying to find a living relative, to no avail. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474861018.669545.jpg

Back to tonight- when she asked for a picture I said "I can do better than a picture, I'll give it to you!". I ran home and got it, and when I put it into her hand her face lit up. I could tell she genuinely appreciated it. She told me it will stay with the house, in the old jewelry box her grandmothers wedding ring came in.

She and her father are in town for their yearly house maintenance visit for a few days, and she invited my wife and I to come take a tour of the house tomorrow. The house is original, hasn't been stripped out, which makes it special. Many times we have stood on the steps and looked in the windows and thought "man, I wish we could look inside". Well tomorrow is that day!

Thanks for reading this long winded story of the return of a humble cufflink! Here it is in her hand. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474861059.955214.jpg

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good return. It really does belong with the house. Definitely good karma. There is always the possibility that the owners of this house can get you an in on some other permissions. Enjoy the house tour!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice story and return. Thanks for sharing

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job JC!! :thumbsup:

...Is a beautiful house, also!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story!, you made her day!!

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your story was a wonderful read. Congrats on the find but more than that thanks for the good deed. Acts like yours puts us and our hobby in a good light where it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always respected you JC, now I have more respect for you. :notworthy: I nominate for an honorable mention. Thanks for going above and beyond what was expected. I bet you were on cloud nine when you saw her reaction, Kudos to you.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, nice story. Best of luck to you !

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Honorable Mention for sure! Congrats on believing in the right thing to do!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you-most folks would not have done that, but I bet the look on her face when you handed it to her was priceless. Honorable Mention for sure!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a real nice thing to do J. I give away a lot of my finds as well. For me it feels better than keeping them if it's for the right people and reasons. I do miss some of the pieces because I know I'll never dig another, but I also smile when I think of the places my finds now live, and the people that it makes smile.

Great job buddy

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is as good as it gets!!!!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good return. It really does belong with the house. Definitely good karma. There is always the possibility that the owners of this house can get you an in on some other permissions. Enjoy the house tour!

Thanks Tom. The other people at the table who heard us talking and saw the return were very interested and impressed that we both knew our history so well. I'm pretty sure I would get permission at any of their yards.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your story was a wonderful read. Congrats on the find but more than that thanks for the good deed. Acts like yours puts us and our hobby in a good light where it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks slider

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread