Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, finally found my first ever gold and in a very unexpected way I should say...

Was sitting at home for the last two days as the weather was horrible. On Friday evening and Saturday morning we got a good quantity of snow, than almost right away, few hours of freezing rain. On top of that we were expecting a Polar Vortex and the temperatures plummeting to -30 C or - 22 F with windchill factor.
Late Sunday evening, I get a call from a colleague of mine saying that a young couple he knows lost a wedding ring while playing in the snow not far from their house. They borrowed a detector from someone else hoping to find it but it wouldn't work properly as there were high voltage power lines right on top of the spot where they believed the ring was lost. I agreed to help them and set up a meeting at 9 pm.
When I arrived on the spot where they lost the ring I realized why the job was so much more challenging on top of the arctic cold and the power lines over the head. They actually lost it in a knee deep snow a day before the freezing rain, on the grounds full of all kinds of junk like pull tabs and aluminum paper. The detector was going wild without the possibility to remove the unwanted signals as the ground was rock solid. After 30 min. of searching couldn't feel my fingers and feet but but decided to give it an other try on a different setting. Finally after an other 15 min. or so found the precious item. Not sure what excited me more: finding my very first gold object; being able to return their wedding ring to young couple or just being able to get back to my warm car with the feeling of a job well done. As a reward I asked if they wouldn't mind if I posted a picture of the ring on the forum which they agreed. So before I got home they sent me these pics on my cellphone.
Really glad with my very first gold ''find'' and the unexpected way it happened. But really happy to be back home!

Attachments

• 20161218_213201.jpg
    20161218_213201.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 15644518_10155231156127971_790096210_n.jpg
    15644518_10155231156127971_790096210_n.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job I'm sure that's a good feeling. I know how cold it is but sounds colder where you are I do not like winter but this site and all the great posts keep me sane . Thanks again for sharing your story!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
That ring is a terrible fit on her finger.

If they are not smart enough to resize it she'll lose it again before long. She should at least wrap the band with thread to make it fit.

Good job finding her ring though.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome job Aureus :icon_thumright: I'd have been pretty discouraged by knee deep snow with freezing rain icing on top. ha After about 8 or 9 years of detecting, I found my first piece of gold (ring) this past summer and it too was a big surprise. Based on your finds, the types of places you hunt have a super low probability of producing gold... so awesome job with the ring and return. Honorable Mention.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Isn't the wedding ring to be worn on the LEFT hand?

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Isn't the wedding ring to be worn on the LEFT hand?

I'm not completely sure as I don't really know them but in some cultures people wear it on the right hand (Russians for example). I don't believe it's required for Muslims to wear it on the left hand. As for the rings size it does look like a terrible sizing but it might have to do with the extreme cold as the fingers get much thinner. They took a pic few minutes after I found it and after spending almost an hour outside looking for it with me. But it sure looks too big, I agree.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job I'm sure that's a good feeling. I know how cold it is but sounds colder where you are I do not like winter but this site and all the great posts keep me sane . Thanks again for sharing your story!!!

Thank You!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome job Aureus :icon_thumright: I'd have been pretty discouraged by knee deep snow with freezing rain icing on top. ha After about 8 or 9 years of detecting, I found my first piece of gold (ring) this past summer and it too was a big surprise. Based on your finds, the types of places you hunt have a super low probability of producing gold... so awesome job with the ring and return. Honorable Mention.

Thank You!

Yes indeed, the grounds I hunt don't have much gold. I have a much greater chance to find a Rev War button or a Spanish silver than a gold ring. But I'm fine with that otherwise I would have hunted in the parks. Jewelry is not really my thing, all thou I have to admit, it felt great to hold this one in my hand when I pulled it out of the snow. I just might give it a try in the local parcs next year if I have a chance.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos to you, no better feeling than one you get deep inside for doing the right thing.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As well on the wrong hand for wedding ring. Looks like it was on the right hand.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As well on the wrong hand for wedding ring. Looks like it was on the right hand.

It's not on a wrong hand. I already answered the similar comment - only in the Western culture the wedding ring is worn on the left hand.
I truly believe what matters is that the ring was successfully found and returned not on what hand it is worn.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know how I missed this thread, but well done!! :notworthy:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait, didn't Crusader last week predict you'd find gold very soon, or something to that effect??

A wonderful and meaningful way to end this year. Really happy for you, Anton, and thanks for sharing the story and pic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread