Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Well now I know how gold sounds like on Deus

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Well now I know how gold sounds like on Deus

Well, finally found my first ever gold and in a very unexpected way I should say...

Was sitting at home for the last two days as the weather was horrible. On Friday evening and Saturday morning we got a good quantity of snow, than almost right away, few hours of freezing rain. On top of that we were expecting a Polar Vortex and the temperatures plummeting to -30 C or - 22 F with windchill factor.
    Late Sunday evening, I get a call from a colleague of mine saying that a young couple he knows lost a wedding ring while playing in the snow not far from their house. They borrowed a detector from someone else hoping to find it but it wouldn't work properly as there were high voltage power lines right on top of the spot where they believed the ring was lost. I agreed to help them and set up a meeting at 9 pm.
    When I arrived on the spot where they lost the ring I realized why the job was so much more challenging on top of the arctic cold and the power lines over the head. They actually lost it in a knee deep snow a day before the freezing rain, on the grounds full of all kinds of junk like pull tabs and aluminum paper. The detector was going wild without the possibility to remove the unwanted signals as the ground was rock solid. After 30 min. of searching couldn't feel my fingers and feet but but decided to give it an other try on a different setting. Finally after an other 15 min. or so found the precious item. Not sure what excited me more: finding my very first gold object; being able to return their wedding ring to young couple or just being able to get back to my warm car with the feeling of a job well done. As a reward I asked if they wouldn't mind if I posted a picture of the ring on the forum which they agreed. So before I got home they sent me these pics on my cellphone.
    Really glad with my very first gold ''find'' and the unexpected way it happened. But really happy to be back home!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161218_213201.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	1392853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15644518_10155231156127971_790096210_n.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	1392854  
    Last edited by Aureus; Dec 19, 2016 at 12:02 AM.
    Da Deus Fortunae

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    20420 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Great job I'm sure that's a good feeling. I know how cold it is but sounds colder where you are I do not like winter but this site and all the great posts keep me sane . Thanks again for sharing your story!!!
    Aureus likes this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13879 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Name:  2 GOOD DEED.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  42.2 KB
    49er4ever44 and Aureus like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
    2352 times
    Gimme your jewels
    That ring is a terrible fit on her finger.

If they are not smart enough to resize it she'll lose it again before long. She should at least wrap the band with thread to make it fit.

Good job finding her ring though.
    CoilToTheSoil and Aureus like this.

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    XP Deus, GPX 4500, Equinox 800, AT Max
    3342 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Awesome job Aureus I'd have been pretty discouraged by knee deep snow with freezing rain icing on top. ha After about 8 or 9 years of detecting, I found my first piece of gold (ring) this past summer and it too was a big surprise. Based on your finds, the types of places you hunt have a super low probability of producing gold... so awesome job with the ring and return. Honorable Mention.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    19715 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Great job,,
    Honorable mention
    Aureus likes this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
    2352 times
    Gimme your jewels
    Isn't the wedding ring to be worn on the LEFT hand?
    Aureus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deft Tones View Post
    Isn't the wedding ring to be worn on the LEFT hand?
    I'm not completely sure as I don't really know them but in some cultures people wear it on the right hand (Russians for example). I don't believe it's required for Muslims to wear it on the left hand. As for the rings size it does look like a terrible sizing but it might have to do with the extreme cold as the fingers get much thinner. They took a pic few minutes after I found it and after spending almost an hour outside looking for it with me. But it sure looks too big, I agree.
    Deft Tones likes this.
    Da Deus Fortunae

Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Great job I'm sure that's a good feeling. I know how cold it is but sounds colder where you are I do not like winter but this site and all the great posts keep me sane . Thanks again for sharing your story!!!
    Thank You!
    Da Deus Fortunae

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAdv View Post
    Awesome job Aureus I'd have been pretty discouraged by knee deep snow with freezing rain icing on top. ha After about 8 or 9 years of detecting, I found my first piece of gold (ring) this past summer and it too was a big surprise. Based on your finds, the types of places you hunt have a super low probability of producing gold... so awesome job with the ring and return. Honorable Mention.
    Thank You!

Yes indeed, the grounds I hunt don't have much gold. I have a much greater chance to find a Rev War button or a Spanish silver than a gold ring. But I'm fine with that otherwise I would have hunted in the parks. Jewelry is not really my thing, all thou I have to admit, it felt great to hold this one in my hand when I pulled it out of the snow. I just might give it a try in the local parcs next year if I have a chance.
    Deft Tones and OutdoorAdv like this.
    Da Deus Fortunae

Quote Originally Posted by against the wind View Post
    Great job,,
    Honorable mention
    Thank You!
    Da Deus Fortunae

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    16791 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Kudos to you, no better feeling than one you get deep inside for doing the right thing.
    Aureus likes this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    Kudos to you, no better feeling than one you get deep inside for doing the right thing.
    Yes. Indeed. Thank you.
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    Da Deus Fortunae

us
    Feb 2014
    Lowcountry, South Carolina
    CTX-3030, Deus XP HF Round/Elliptical, White's TRX Pinpointer
    5019 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Well deserved HM... made even more impressive given the conditions. Hopefully karma rewards your good deed with a gold keeper in 2017
    Aureus likes this.
    2019 Best Coins

-1695 William III Halfpenny
    -1722 Rosa Americana

2019 Best Relics

-SC 3rd Regiment of Rangers Button
    -3rd American Regiment Button (NY Volunteers)
    -Colonial Pewter Ingot
    -Southern #8 Hat Badge
    -Federal GS Eagle buttons

us
    Jul 2013
    OC, Calif
    Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
    660 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    As well on the wrong hand for wedding ring. Looks like it was on the right hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links