Good deed for the day

TJPOPELKA

Jul 31, 2006
Escanaba, Mi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/Minelab E-Trac
Sorry no pictures. Well, I finally received my first phone call to help a friend out with my metal detector. He called me at about 11:00 p.m and
said-Hey Bud, do you still use that metal detector thing? I chuckled and said I sure do, why-what did you lose? He then went on to tell me that he and his wife are camping at Wells Park, and as they were putting the baby to bed, she reached up and grabbed his wife's necklace and pulled off the gold pennant(after dark). The next day they woke up and could not find it anywhere-so, could I please come over and try to find it. I said sure, but there was one problem-this park is a Michigan State park and metal detecting is forbidden-so I told him he would have to talk to the park ranger
to get permission. This park is about 1/2 hour from my home, he picked me up at 7:00 am and headed out. We get there and try stopping at the front desk-but nobody was there yet-and he did not have permission to use a metal detector yet. I was a little nervous about that-but we figured they would "understand" if the ranger came by while I was searching. Anyways, we get to the sight and I could see that his wife was still pretty upset. I asked her where she was standing when it happened-she showed me-I walked over and looked-about 10 feet from where she showed me I suddenly saw a little glimmer-bent down and picked it up-Sure enough it was the pennant! They just couldn't believe it-I found it in less than 10 seconds without the metal detector! Must be the trained eyes looking at the
ground for something different ;D ;D I also now know why she was so upset, the pennant was one of those past,present, & future diamond pennants. There was 3 nice size diamonds in that pennant-a 10 yr anniversary gift! I was so happy I was able to help, and I assured him that
finding gold and diamonds was never, ever normally that easy. This just really made my day.
P.S. I went to a local school yard that evening (yesterday) and found a whole $2.53 in clad-no jewelry- in about 2 hours. I thought to myself oh well, the "good karma" will have to wait for another day!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Very cool that you were able to help your friend out. I am sure she is very grateful!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Good job!

Glad to hear you found it for her!

Ridley

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love a good ending. :'(
Great job, I'm sure you made her day.
Congrats,
MM

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Just one of the many reasons why we do this hobby! WTG!
Baggins

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Ol eagle eyes, sometimes that's all it takes. Way to go on finding it for her.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Congrats, geat job!!
It always feels good to help someone out
finding their beloved goodies for them.
Hope the MFD'ing gods reward you for it!

Smiles!
BDoo

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on being one of the good guys.

I know how you feel, by picking up the necklace. Every guy or gal who detects should always be looking at the ground or in the water if you can see the bottom. Just yesterday I was hunting in a lake in Michigan and I could see my coil real good even though I was in waist deep water. I saw something on the bottom that looked like a necklace, my detector didn't pick it up. It was a Rosier, just beads no cross. I would never have seen it if I was looking at the sky or something else.

You just never know what you will find, detecting and looking at the ground. I pick up arrowheads all the time, detecting. Also clay marbles, buttons and so on.

Again, Congrats on finding and returning the necklace.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
T

TJPOPELKA

Jul 31, 2006
Escanaba, Mi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/Minelab E-Trac
Thank-you eveyone for all the nice comments. I always keep my eyes peeled to the ground when I detect-have made a few decent finds that way.

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was wondering how far off they'd be when they showed you where they lost it, thanks for telling. Good story, good deed, good karma. Good job man! And ya didn't even have to break the no mding rule!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread