🏆 HONORABLE MENTION Class ring owner or is it!!!!What do you think!!!!!!!

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If she was lying, why wouldn't she have just said, yes it is mine, and skipped the rest of the story. Obviously it means something to her. Go ahead and send her the ring and ask her to send it back to you, if it is not hers and she can not locate the owner. Most people are honest

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would make her identify the ring before I sent it to her Tommy. Ask her what metal it was made of, what type and color was the stone, was there a sports or band/choir emblem on it. If its hers, she should be able to identify it easily. If not, then you can look for the other person if you care to. She could just as easily go scrap it like you could.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the local library may have the year books and you can research it there
but have to say as strange as the story is i think it is hers
think about it this way if she said "omg i though i lost it at school" would you still think she was pulling a fast one
she did not have to give you ton's of other info
also i will bet she only thinks it was taken by her baby sitter...i could of been a family member who was their for a visit
that would explain how it got back to her home town

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the junior class annual for that graduating class. Maybe another person has the same initials and moved before their senior year.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
If she was lying, why wouldn't she have just said, yes it is mine, and skipped the rest of the story. Obviously it means something to her. Go ahead and send her the ring and ask her to send it back to you, if it is not hers and she can not locate the owner. Most people are honest
^^^^^ This... If I'm reading this correctly it was you who contacted her ? Even if it actually belonged to the other person with those same initials it sounds like she really believes it's hers and it made her day to think it's coming back to her after all these years. If you keep it now you're a dick.. lol Sorry but you asked..

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the lady in California did indeed have her ring stolen from her but, not the ring you found in Michigan. I bet if you can locate the other person with the same initials, you'll also find she lost her class ring.
I don't understand why if the lady you contacted knows there's another person with the same initials. Why didn't see just give you her name so you could try and contact her?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if she was lying , she would have come up with a more logical excuse for it being there.
This does not mean 100% it is hers, however at this point.
If it may be hers and you don't want to cause Fighting if another shows up with a
story also. I say give it to her.

Don't , whatever you do, Get authorities involved.

This will just take away from this being a Good Deed into a pain in the ass for
at least 2 People.
you & the woman you already talked to.

look at the Facts :
You called the school they located a person who matched the initials. You call this person you send pics of the ring she says it looks like hers..

It has her Initials & it's the year she Graduated .
Do you want to Screw her over, now that She knows this ?

If somehow there is another & the school puts her in contact Later
and an issue arises. You have the Contact Info to forward who has it.
along with the story you were told.

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on the find and just do what you think is right and all is well

AMEN. What Trapperart said should be gospel. We all need to do what we feel is right. I have friends that respect my decision to return rings, I respect theirs to be pirates. As long as NOBODY tries to cram their views down anyone's throat this is how we get along. My thoughts immediately would be scrap. They haven['t missed it for years and it is broke, they would never know it was found.

BUT, you do what you feel is right and don't look back. I have returned golkd rings and haven't even so much as to get a thank you. I returned a silver bracelet a guy was given when he was 16 from his parents in 1944 and got a letter with a 100.00 bill in it. It is how you feel about the situation. Do what you feel you should do and live your life. No matter what the outcome, you did what you believed was right and so be it.

Now keep away from my gold in Michigan!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the secretary at the school knew this woman but I think it belongs to the other person with those initials . I think Ill just send it to her and be done with it!!!! no Honorable Mention How about a Dishonorable Detention My brain hurts on this one . Done with it

send it back Registered Mail so you have a record she Signed for it.
let us know when it is Returned.

I would Prefer a Pic of her with it, or a Thank you letter from Her.
But Yes. either way. since there is a picture of the ring here.
Honorable Mention if you send it to her .

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would make her identify the ring before I sent it to her Tommy. Ask her what metal it was made of, what type and color was the stone, was there a sports or band/choir emblem on it. If its hers, she should be able to identify it easily. If not, then you can look for the other person if you care to. She could just as easily go scrap it like you could.

I graduated in '73 Only reason I know Mine as 10K is because I found allot of Those Rings & the School class rings were all 10K.
don't know what was on it, and i don't know if i had my middle initial.
or size.

however I would be upset if Someone told me they had a Ring from My Year with My initials
and Refused to Give it to me.
Imo It would me Mine to stash, sell, Or loose again

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I graduated in '73 Only reason I know Mine as 10K is because I found allot of Those Rings & the School class rings were all 10K.
don't know what was on it, and i don't know if i had my middle initial.
or size.

however I would be upset if Someone told me they had a Ring from My Year with My initials
and Refused to Give it to me.
Imo It would me Mine to stash, sell, Or loose again

Jeff, I have found well over 100 gold class rings. From 1901 - the 1990's. Only one was 14K. Every one else was 10K. I totally agree with you. Once you contact someone, you are obligated to follow up with what you started. I scrap all class rings from the 1900's - the 1940's. I don't expect to find any of those people alive.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not keep a ring with someone else's initials on it BUT that being said, I would have to be 100% sure it was going to the rightful owner also.
If no one convincing claims it, I would feel bad giving it to someone knowing the owner could contact me after the fact. Now a ring lost then found then given to the wrong person would have Me look bad.
Nice find. I only have found one class ring (and returned), but that was easy finding the owner because it was a local school and was only lost 9 years ago plus he was the ONLY person in that graduating class with those initials.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the secretary at the school knew this woman but I think it belongs to the other person with those initials . I think Ill just send it to her and be done with it!!!! no Honorable Mention How about a Dishonorable Detention My brain hurts on this one . Done with it

Not to sound cheesy, but that's a good person who returns these personal items. Especially in todays materialistic, money driven society. Nobody would ever know you found that thing. Nice to see.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the high road...send the ring.

The worst that could happen is that is the receiver is a fraud. That is on THEM. You did the right and honorable thing. You may "lose" a few dollars of scrap value, but you gain the ability to have "an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind."

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I never and will never come to a forum of any kind to ask about a gold ring I found. :dontknow:

Let me just state my position. If I dig up a ring, first and foremost, it belongs, NOW, to ME! Period.
After that, if I CHOOSE to try and return it because of a name/circumstances I will first ask why they think
I feel the ring is the one they lost. (as opposed to a ring that "belongs" to them) I'll also ask them for a
description of the ring they lost. Then, and only then, I'll consider sending it to them, no charge.

I actually returned one recently that I did some heavy research to find the owner because they had their full
name inscribed inside. I was fortunate that they were a known, local celebrity who was no longer local but rather
a regional celebrity. I contacted, they responded, I was satisfied with their description of why I thought it was theirs and
the ring. I sent it to them. I got a nice, albeit rather polite, "thank you". That's it. Did I expect more? Probably. It was worth
about 200 now and it could've just become part of a melted block for sale. No offer to compensate my time, (I didn't ask),
just sort of a wham, bam, thank you ma'am sort of letter. Sure did warm the cockles of my bottom. ;)

Anyway, there's at least one thing about your story that strikes me as odd. The way this person seemed to attempt to
associate this ring with a crime, stolen goods, AND....where of all places was this to have taken place? California. I really
do NOT think that this person is some high end bad guy and trying to set up a case in order to get this lowly *little* piece
of gold. But, it does seem interesting to me.

In this case, given what you've already done, send it to her and write it to experience. Be a little smarter next time, at least you
did get that bit of experience from the exchange. ;)

Beige

Greenie
Jul 17, 2013
Edgar, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a class ring last year that was about 300 miles from the school it was from. I called the school and they got a phone number for me. I talked to this lady and she didn't know any details of the ring and also had no association of the area it was found. She gave me no information for me to believe that was her ring. She wanted me to immediately meet her at a Walmart by her and give her the ring. I went with my instincts and decided that this was not the person I was looking for.

Nowadays who wouldn't take a free gold ring from a stranger?

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents is... if you feel sick about giving it to her, hold onto it and say I'm looking into the path of the other girl. I had a similar situation and it didn't sit well. I used a valid excuse like there was another person I was checking out and I never heard back from that person. They forgot about it and I knew immediately they weren't the owner. Trust your gut.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread