Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: Class ring owner or is it!!!!What do you think!!!!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County ; Turn right or left off I-81
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    17978 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Yes the secretary at the school knew this woman but I think it belongs to the other person with those initials . I think Ill just send it to her and be done with it!!!! no Honorable Mention How about a Dishonorable Detention My brain hurts on this one . Done with it
    send it back Registered Mail so you have a record she Signed for it.
    let us know when it is Returned.

I would Prefer a Pic of her with it, or a Thank you letter from Her.
    But Yes. either way. since there is a picture of the ring here.
    Honorable Mention if you send it to her .
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Mar 17, 2017 at 09:44 PM.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County ; Turn right or left off I-81
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    17978 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trezurehunter View Post
    I would make her identify the ring before I sent it to her Tommy. Ask her what metal it was made of, what type and color was the stone, was there a sports or band/choir emblem on it. If its hers, she should be able to identify it easily. If not, then you can look for the other person if you care to. She could just as easily go scrap it like you could.
    I graduated in '73 Only reason I know Mine as 10K is because I found allot of Those Rings & the School class rings were all 10K.
    don't know what was on it, and i don't know if i had my middle initial.
    or size.

however I would be upset if Someone told me they had a Ring from My Year with My initials
    and Refused to Give it to me.
    Imo It would me Mine to stash, sell, Or loose again
    terpfan, A2coins, GeoW and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2016
    Port Huron MI
    2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable) Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
    4900 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    I graduated in '73 Only reason I know Mine as 10K is because I found allot of Those Rings & the School class rings were all 10K.
    don't know what was on it, and i don't know if i had my middle initial.
    or size.

however I would be upset if Someone told me they had a Ring from My Year with My initials
    and Refused to Give it to me.
    Imo It would me Mine to stash, sell, Or loose again

Jeff, I have found well over 100 gold class rings. From 1901 - the 1990's. Only one was 14K. Every one else was 10K. I totally agree with you. Once you contact someone, you are obligated to follow up with what you started. I scrap all class rings from the 1900's - the 1940's. I don't expect to find any of those people alive.
    jeff of pa and A2coins like this.
    Please leave a ring after the beep. Thank You.

****Always be yourself. The people that matter don't mind, and the people that mind just don't matter. ****

us
    Mark

Jan 2016
    NE Ohio
    Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD XPointer pin pointer
    555 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I would not keep a ring with someone else's initials on it BUT that being said, I would have to be 100% sure it was going to the rightful owner also.
    If no one convincing claims it, I would feel bad giving it to someone knowing the owner could contact me after the fact. Now a ring lost then found then given to the wrong person would have Me look bad.
    Nice find. I only have found one class ring (and returned), but that was easy finding the owner because it was a local school and was only lost 9 years ago plus he was the ONLY person in that graduating class with those initials.
    A2coins likes this.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    Fisher f75, fisher f2
    176 times
    Yes the secretary at the school knew this woman but I think it belongs to the other person with those initials . I think Ill just send it to her and be done with it!!!! no Honorable Mention How about a Dishonorable Detention My brain hurts on this one . Done with it
    Not to sound cheesy, but that's a good person who returns these personal items. Especially in todays materialistic, money driven society. Nobody would ever know you found that thing. Nice to see.
    jeff of pa, A2coins and River Rat like this.

us
    Feb 2016
    central Texas
    ATPro, Garrett carrot
    68 times
    Take the high road...send the ring.

The worst that could happen is that is the receiver is a fraud. That is on THEM. You did the right and honorable thing. You may "lose" a few dollars of scrap value, but you gain the ability to have "an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind."

Stumbles In Corn ..........(Thanks Treblehunter!)

Apr 2012
    South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Garrett AT-PRO, Garrett Groundhog, Pro-Pointer, Jack Hammer!
    11009 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    This is why I never and will never come to a forum of any kind to ask about a gold ring I found.

Let me just state my position. If I dig up a ring, first and foremost, it belongs, NOW, to ME! Period.
    After that, if I CHOOSE to try and return it because of a name/circumstances I will first ask why they think
    I feel the ring is the one they lost. (as opposed to a ring that "belongs" to them) I'll also ask them for a
    description of the ring they lost. Then, and only then, I'll consider sending it to them, no charge.

I actually returned one recently that I did some heavy research to find the owner because they had their full
    name inscribed inside. I was fortunate that they were a known, local celebrity who was no longer local but rather
    a regional celebrity. I contacted, they responded, I was satisfied with their description of why I thought it was theirs and
    the ring. I sent it to them. I got a nice, albeit rather polite, "thank you". That's it. Did I expect more? Probably. It was worth
    about 200 now and it could've just become part of a melted block for sale. No offer to compensate my time, (I didn't ask),
    just sort of a wham, bam, thank you ma'am sort of letter. Sure did warm the cockles of my bottom.

Anyway, there's at least one thing about your story that strikes me as odd. The way this person seemed to attempt to
    associate this ring with a crime, stolen goods, AND....where of all places was this to have taken place? California. I really
    do NOT think that this person is some high end bad guy and trying to set up a case in order to get this lowly *little* piece
    of gold. But, it does seem interesting to me.

In this case, given what you've already done, send it to her and write it to experience. Be a little smarter next time, at least you
    did get that bit of experience from the exchange.
    "A good day has no rain. A bad day; is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been." -Paul Simon

If you need to fill some time: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ent-hobby.html

us
    Jul 2013
    Edgar, WI
    Minelab E-Trac Garrett Ace 350
    16 times
    I found a class ring last year that was about 300 miles from the school it was from. I called the school and they got a phone number for me. I talked to this lady and she didn't know any details of the ring and also had no association of the area it was found. She gave me no information for me to believe that was her ring. She wanted me to immediately meet her at a Walmart by her and give her the ring. I went with my instincts and decided that this was not the person I was looking for.

Nowadays who wouldn't take a free gold ring from a stranger?
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Maverick

Feb 2016
    Utah
    Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    510 times
    My two cents is... if you feel sick about giving it to her, hold onto it and say I'm looking into the path of the other girl. I had a similar situation and it didn't sit well. I used a valid excuse like there was another person I was checking out and I never heard back from that person. They forgot about it and I knew immediately they weren't the owner. Trust your gut.
    It's not what you find that defines you, it's your attitude in doing what you love that show people who you really are.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2012
    Farr West, utah
    Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
    588 times
    Metal Detecting
    75 to 100 bucks
    Wow, more than I would have guessed. That is a nice ring totally understand your dilemma.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    papa

Feb 2017
    North Charleston, SC
    Fisher F75
    93 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm thinking see what the other person has to say. The odds of this ring making it back to within 10 miles of her school, from California, are zero.
    A2coins, Mifarmer and Swaveab like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    ETRAC
    471 times
    Tommy, do whatever you feel is right. The fact that you pulled a gold ring out of the frozen Michigan tundra this early in the year can only mean that you will have a banner year! Can't wait to see what you find next!
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    2397 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    send it back Registered Mail so you have a record she Signed for it.
    let us know when it is Returned.

I would Prefer a Pic of her with it, or a Thank you letter from Her.
    But Yes. either way. since there is a picture of the ring here.
    Honorable Mention if you send it to her .
    Im just going to send it to her . It seems impossible it would have been stolen in Cali and end up here I didnt here that story until I contacted her well the school did and gave her my number. I will post once its in the mail if it makes her happy then its better off with her anyway Im and going to think real hard about returning rings from now on,not that I dont want to but what a mess.... she seems nice and Im doing what I think is best Ill post on monday once its sent Thanks for all the posts and opinions!!!! Tommy
    Last edited by A2coins; Mar 17, 2017 at 10:31 PM.
    KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Jan 2009
    Kimball. Mi
    ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
    45 times
    I agree, do what your heart tells you to. And thanks for being an honorable person. Many would never have gone this far to try and return this ring. It brings honor to our hobby.
    A2coins and jeff of pa like this.

us
    Oct 2012
    clermont county ohio
    coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
    381 times
    Im just going to send it to her . It seems impossible it would have been stolen in Cali and end up here I didnt here that story until I contacted her well the school fif and gave her my number. I will ost once its in the mail if it makes her happy then its better off with her anyway Im and going to think real hard about returning rings from now on,not that I dont want to but what a mess.... she seems nice and Im doing what I think is best Ill post on monday once its sent Thanks for all the posts and opinions!!!! Tommy
    i'm sure your doing the right thing..send it to her, if some one else says it's theres.. just give her the address of whom you sent it to.
    me, myself , and i would do the same..karma will get her if she's lying..
    hope it works out well..
    that is a nice find.
    congrats on the recovery..
    OWG...
    A2coins and jeff of pa like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links