[HONORABLE MENTION] Long-Lost Military Footlocker Found and Returned 51 Years Later - Legendary Pilot
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Long-Lost Military Footlocker Found and Returned 51 Years Later - Legendary Pilot

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2013
    Virginia
    Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s) Metrotech (In the 70s) Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
    2324 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Long-Lost Military Footlocker Found and Returned 51 Years Later - Legendary Pilot

Watch the CBS News coverage of the footlocker and the return to the family here:

http://wtvr.com/2017/03/24/don-parthree-story/

A dumpster on the Northern Neck of Virginia was about to crush when my friend, a veteran (Army Rangers) noticed an American Flag peeking out from under the lid of an old WWII footlocker. He stopped the crusher and jumped in to rescue the flag. He called me and told me he was about to dispose of the locker and contents unless I wanted to come and get it. Um . . . YEAH.

Three hours later, a picture of a legendary American Pilot began to emerge. Colonel Clyde Parthree trained fighter pilots in WWII, and went on to become the first pilot to ever log 17,000 flying hours without an accident. (It was eventually 20,000 hours without ever so much as scratching landing gear) He flew Kings, Queens, Prime Ministers and U.S. presidents. The locker was full of clippings about the legend they called "The Old Gray Fox." Personal items, as well as his dress Uniform cap, flight instruments, and an autographed picture from the KING OF BELGIUM, thanking Parthree for his personal care during a state visit, packed the old locker. I was stunned to learn that THIS pilot, was the test pilot who first flew the famous "Wingless Wonder." nearly 70 years ago.

I showed the locker to a friend who is a much better researcher than I am. He found the family, including the Colonel's only surviving son, living an hour away in Maryland in a nursing home. We reunited the footlocker with this son, in my barn, and CBS News was there to cover the event. I figure, this is a LESS than once-in-lifetime opportunity. Enjoy the video . . .

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6344 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Way To Go , PW.
    The Lord put You in the right place so the Man's Relics/Belongings were not destroyed.
    GOOD MAN!

Ill watch the Video Now.
    Hope you been well.
    Davers
    A2coins likes this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Oct 2012
    1672 times
    You're a good man, that's an amazing story.
    Davers and A2coins like this.

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    XP Deus (2019) Fisher CZ-21 (2019) CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    870 times
    I see people with tags at the bottom of their avatars that say things like honorable mentions, being new I don't quite know how to go about nominating somebody, but this should definitely be nominated.

What a fantastic story, and a great way to reunite a father with his son.

I'm glad I clicked on the link, as I normally don't do that.
    Davers, A2coins and BagLady like this.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6344 times

So much more than an Honorable Mention

Man PW....
    Watching that 'Well Done' News Story ; about made me Cry.

That guy was so truly grateful for what y'all did......The lord put you 3 guy's in the right place.

It really makes me wonder how something like that could just get "Tossed".

If the Sister Had it until She passed , I don't know it just seem's like someone would take the Old Box for what it was.?

Great thing yr buddy did at the last minute.

That Story just made me feel good.
    & I got to meet you sorta.

Last year ..A Tornado , This Year the Gift of a Long Lost Box.
    Again Good Man/ Men.

My hats off to y'all & The American Hero.
    A2coins likes this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Apr 2008
    Central Illinois
    Fisher CZ-3D
    794 times
    Great story and video, brought tears to my eyes watching the video. You could tell the son really appreciated getting it. Good job guys.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    4225 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow! What a wonderful thing that ya'll did. If this doesn't deserve an Honorable Mention then I don't know what would. My vote is going in.
    Last edited by GaRebel1861; Mar 28, 2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling error
    A2coins likes this.

jacdec1968

Feb 2014
    Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction, Az in the winter
    Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer, Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro
    4947 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That sure is an awesome video and kudos to you all who made this gentlemans dream come true. To be able to return that foot locker to the son is just something amazing.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    4098 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow...words escape me..and I'm NEVER at a loss for words...3 great guys just doing the next right thing...thx, Ddf. O btw...im voting banner...that is a once in a lifetime find..
    Last edited by dirtdigginfool; Mar 27, 2017 at 05:49 PM.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    29481 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Great man you are is there such thing as honorable banner LOL Got my vote!!!!!@@!
    mikefromIllinois likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    13020 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    That's a great thing you did. Thank you for sharing and caring
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

Jan 2013
    Galveston Bay Area
    Teknetics, Whites
    190 times
    What a wonderful story and return. I have two memorial flags and know how much they mean. Honorable Mention all the way!

Charter Member
    us
    Joe

Nov 2014
    VA
    Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
    7276 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    That's what it all about right there! That is outstanding! What a great thing you guys did. Honorable mention, no doubt.

HH, RN

us
    Mar 2015
    Mississippi
    cheap
    616 times
    Wow. Just Wow. Great story. Good job.
    At least an honorable mention if not a Banner.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
    2345 times
    No words, thank you for doing what you did for this man. I can't believe someone would just toss out something like that. Wow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links