Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I returned a High School Class ring a while back. Dug at the beach in Texas this summer and it took a while to track down the owner.

Here it was in a photo with my haul of goodies from the beach:

ring return1.JPG

And on the way to return it:

ring return.jpg

The kid who lost it is a graduating senior this spring. I actually had business in the area where he lived and so I made an appointment to return the ring to him and his family. He didn't seem too excited but just said "thanks." No photo with the happy owner, or his parents. Was waiting to post, hoping his parents might reach out to me with at least a thank you note afterward. (I left my mailing address with them and told them "No Reward--just a kind note.") No note came. :dontknow:

I've returned many rings over the past 27 years, and I've had a real mixed bag of experiences--everything from offering of cash rewards (always declined) to semi-accusations "where did you get that?"). I've been told many wonderful back stories of how rings were lost, and where, and when. (Which is so nice, since we detectorists seldom get to know how the items we found were lost.) I've returned rings to the owners who thanked me with tears in their eyes. I've also returned some rings to owners who didn't seem to care at all, including a wedding band to a man who had remarried and who laughed in my face: "From my first wife?! That's hilarious!"

Yes, it's been a mixed bag on ring returns. But it's important never to sacrifice your own sense of right and wrong or lower your standards, no matter what your last experience was. Just like detecting, we don't hang up our detectors because of one bad experience in the field, or one hunt where we got skunked.

The benefits are always greater than the losses in the long run if you stick to the high road.

Wishing all of you happy and safe 2018,

Buck

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you Buck, and great attitude. Things come to easy for most folks these days and it seems sentimental value is becoming a thing of the past. Sad. Hopefully your good deed will come back in karma.
[emoji106]

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you Buck, and great attitude. Things come to easy for most folks these days and it seems sentimental value is becoming a thing of the past. Sad. Hopefully your good deed will come back in karma.
[emoji106]

Thanks my friend :icon_thumleft:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good job. I also have had plenty of mixed results. I have changed my views a bit but still return the ones I can.

Thanks for sharing.

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB regardless of their attitude you did a very generous thing. Unfortunately some parents these days don’t teach their kids to be thankful for what they have or get and it’s apparent because even the parents didn’t give you a thanks. But don’t change your ways buddy in the end you will be rewarded for your nice gesture. God Bless!! Take care

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a great attitude Buck, and are absolutely correct. you are a great example for the rest of us.

People are such a mixed bag of nuts, you just never know what you will get.

Karma will repay you with seated, capped and Spanish coins. Mark my words, this time next year you will have found all three!

Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to the three of you!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB regardless of their attitude you did a very generous thing. Unfortunately some parents these days don’t teach their kids to be thankful for what they have or get and it’s apparent because even the parents didn’t give you a thanks. But don’t change your ways buddy in the end you will be rewarded for your nice gesture. God Bless!! Take care

Thanks for your kind words Rudy.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a great attitude Buck, and are absolutely correct. you are a great example for the rest of us.

People are such a mixed bag of nuts, you just never know what you will get.

Karma will repay you with seated, capped and Spanish coins. Mark my words, this time next year you will have found all three!

Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to the three of you!

Mixed bag of nuts! Ha! I hope you’re right on the silvers my friend. I’m excited to get the coil to the soil here soon and see what 2018 brings!

thanks for your reply my friend,

Buck

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. I brings me back to "Doing the right thing."
I recovered a high school ring that belonged to a young lady who graduated the year before. She was smart enough to have name inscribed. It was recovered from the water at a Bronx Beach, back in NYC. I found her on Facebook and tried to contact her. She didn't respond. I contacted the school and spoke to the principal. The principal explained the contact information was private but if i sent her the ring, she would see to it that it got back to her former student. I sent the ring to the school but never heard from them. We don't do this for a reward or recognition, but sometimes a little thank you would be nice. So my friend, let me say "Thank you for being who you are."

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those are awesome finds. I just found a class ring in trying to return. Congrats you killed it[emoji106][emoji106]

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. I brings me back to "Doing the right thing."
I recovered a high school ring that belonged to a young lady who graduated the year before. She was smart enough to have name inscribed. It was recovered from the water at a Bronx Beach, back in NYC. I found her on Facebook and tried to contact her. She didn't respond. I contacted the school and spoke to the principal. The principal explained the contact information was private but if i sent her the ring, she would see to it that it got back to her former student. I sent the ring to the school but never heard from them. We don't do this for a reward or recognition, but sometimes a little thank you would be nice. So my friend, let me say "Thank you for being who you are."

thank you so much for your kind reply my friend!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the find and recovery! :icon_thumleft:

Thank you for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread