His First Detector; My *NEW* Detector!!!

Do you know where you'll spend eternity after you die?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Unsure

• Total voters

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been meaning to do this for some time, but this happened right at the end of the Summer... right as I was about to leave Florida and drive up to Alabama to see my family, then drive back up here to Missouri (for college). Since I've been here, my class work started immediately and has been kicking my butt! lol

So last semester, I got a random e-mail from Grizzly Bare (Jim) saying that he had some extra headphones laying around his house, and that he wanted to send me a pair since I didn't have any at the time. Well time passed by and it accidentally slipped his mind. I went home to Florida for the Summer and I honestly had forgotten all about it, until I was going through my T-Net messages and clearing them out a bit. Well I messaged him just to let him know that I'd be heading back up to Missouri again for college, that way he didn't send it to my Florida address. He apologized and said that he was an "old forgetful idiot" and let it slip his mind... I just laughed because I have the same problem and I'm only (almost) 25!! lol ;D

Well Jim said he'd send out the headphones immediately so I'd get them before I left for school. He also slipped in there that he "put two or three other things in the box", hoping that I could use them. I thanked him and didn't think much of it until the box arrived at my house. I went outside and it was BIG, much larger then it should be for "headphones". My curiosity really got perked when I went to pick it up and realized it was like 8 lbs!!? I went inside and quickly opened it up with a very awkward look on my face! When I got the box open, I saw what looked to me like an arm rest of a detector? I just stared for a minute and said, "What??" As I put my hands in there and got a hold on it, I knew it was just that. I pulled it out slowly and just stared at it in absolute unbelief. It was a White's IDX Pro! I went from curious, to shocked, then to a excited/upset feeling. I was upset because the thoughts of Jim sending me a extremely nice metal detector like that, and the possibility that he might be giving up the hobby, just kinda sickened me.
I again reached into the box for the headphones and instead came out with two coils; one the largest Pro coil you can get for that detector, and the other a "sniper" type coil for trashy areas. I just kept saying, "You've got to be kidding me right now." over and over, as my grandmother just smiled and laughed at me.
Finally I got into the box and got the headphones, which were (are) AMAZING!!!
They looked brand new!!

I sent Jim a message, thanking him and also making sure that he (like many of the skilled detectorists) have additional metal detectors. He said that he has many other detectors, as well as a new water one he just ordered. He also let me know that the IDX was his first detector he ever used, which I was SO privileged to be able to detect as Jim once detected when he first started out!!! I was and still am completely stoked by that detector!! It's so amazing and I feel way more comfortable using it than I was with my 150! I also love the whole pinpointing feature on it!

I think I probably should buy a probe sometime to make it easier on me, but I just wanted to say how thankful I was and show my gratitude toward Jim for everything he's done for me!! Here's what the detector looks like...

Bran <><

IDX.JPG

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Bran,
That just rocks! And the way you wrote it, I could just about see you as it happened. That's really awesome. :D

Congrats on your new detector and assorted goodies!

And Grizzly? You rock, too! :)

HH!
Nan

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Nan!!

Bran <><

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bran,

A fantastic story! Kudos to you and GB!

GB, you have a heart of gold!!

;) RR

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
time to start finding stuff ;D very kind of griz to hook you up like that --now time to put it to good use. -- of course you gotta post your finds needless to say --- Ivan

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan,
I've been trying to put it to good use, believe me! I just always have a packed schedule every day, especially up here at college. I sometimes wish I were retired or something so I could pursue my passion... but then I wouldn't be young enough to have enjoyed years of THing!!! Also the wisdom that comes along with those years... but I'll try to get out more. I actually might get out some today after a job interview. ;)

Vicki,
Well we're to "do unto others as they've done unto us"... which is actually a Biblical principle. But since I'm not a believer in kharma, I fully give all credit to God for knowing the desires of my heart. I actually had been looking at detectors right up to that point that Jim sent me his... I just had no idea how I could afford a new one on my minimal finances while being a college student. I think God definitely knew... and I'm stoked! ;D

Bran <><

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Brandon,
Thank you for such a nice post. With the new(used) Sovereign I bought just before summer began, I realized that I had too many machines hanging around the house. With only two arms swinging more detectors than that gets kinda tricky, I had to do something with the excess...and lets face it, everyone on here likes you.
That IDX Pro would have sat in a closet here for the next umpteen years; with you it gets out in the sun doing what it likes best, hunting.
Someday when you get a chance, pass one of your machines to an eager hunter who wants to begin this hobby.
I guarantee you a response like you put on here will make anyone happy and humble all at the same time.
Strange, isn't it? I just sent you a PM today and then saw this. It's almost like SOMEONE is directing all this. ;)
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. TNet is a great group of friends.

grizzly bare
Jim

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Griz,
What a wonderful thing you did. I have been in contact with Bran and when things slow down for me I plan on taking him detecting at a local Civil War camp. It is obvious how grateful Bran is to you. Take care and best of hunting....Steve

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
That is a FANTASTIC FIND. I am sure that detector will get some good use and there will be great finds to post. Griz, we all know you are really a Teddy Bear with a heart of GOLD. Awesome jesture. This should definately be put under Honorable Mention. We sorely need one.

You are amazing.
HH Roy

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
SCR,
I don't want to hijack Bran's thread, but I would like to defend myself. I am a grumpy old curmudgeon!!
BTW, your "heart of gold" comment is funnier than you know. Eight or nine years ago the docs put a metal box in my chest to keep the old ticker playing pretty. They did use two golden wires (leads) in the heart, so, while my heart isn't really gold, I do have gold there. Occasionally I run the detecter over my chest and yell "Gold! I've found it!"
Somehow, nobody else thinks that's as funny as I do.

On another note, how many of us have an older machine stored away in a closet, garage, attic, or where ever? I've only been at this a relatively short time and I now have four machines taking up space. We've got a lot of young/new detectors on here who could use a beginning machine. TNeters are the most generous folks I've ever met; how about passing those old machines forward?

Bran, keep swinging. Someday I'd like to go on a hunt with you and let you try out the quattro.

HH

grizzly bare
Jim

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
awesome story Bran! I am so very happy for you! and to the golden hearted grizzly bear....HUGE BEAR HUGS for being such a great guy!

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Any way you cut it Griz, "you're still the man". I LMAO with your comment about running the coil over your chest and yelling "I found Gold". Keep up the great sense of humor and you set a high standard for all of us to follow.
Best Wishes for continued health and HH.
Roy

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Y'know, I sometimes think that a curmudgeon is someone with a heart of gold (haha, very funny, griz) - but wants to hide it, for whatever reason.

That said, maybe our resident grizzly bear is a teddy bear with a grizzly suit on... :-*

Unless, he's just a curmudgeon with an implanted heart of gold (there ya go, griz).
;D

Bran, have fun with that detector and post it all!

HH
Nan

mosemeister

Mar 10, 2006
Upper Bucks County,PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax Silver
What a wonderful story! It's so nice to know that there are kind people in the world. Brandon, you sound like such a nice guy, and you, too, grizzly. I hope you find tons of great stuff with the detector that grizzly gave you, Brandon. You guys are both awesome! ;D Mosey

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mosemeister said:
What a wonderful story! It's so nice to know that there are kind people in the world. Brandon, you sound like such a nice guy, and you, too, grizzly. I hope you find tons of great stuff with the detector that grizzly gave you, Brandon. You guys are both awesome! ;D Mosey

Thanks Mosey... he really is a great guy, for sure!! :)

Bran <><

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Wonderful story.
I am glad I found this spot on the super hiway.
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread