The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m sure a lot of you read my dads post (ammoman) about our hunt last weekend where we found some old jewelry and coins and such. Well, I had found a 14k class ring.

1F12DCA7-6612-46FF-BB3E-32FA8EBC9164.jpeg

As soon as I got home the Hunt for its owner began. Luckily this time I had a school that actually had a graduating class the year that was stamped on the ring. 1988. Inside of the ring was the first and last name of the gentleman who lost it. Again, this makes it easier than last time because last time all I had were initials. SO, to social media I went. Didn’t take long to find the guy I believed to be the rings rightful owner. I’m guessing his account profile was private since the information available to me was pretty vague and there didn’t seem to be very many posts, BUT, the information that was there was enough for what I needed. I sent him a private message.

A couple days passed and I didn’t receive an answer (because the message hadn’t been seen yet) and me being super excited about the situation I went back to his profile to see if his job was listed. It was! So I google his workplace and give them a call. Receptionist was very friendly and forwarded me to his line. No answer. I was pretty upset about it cause I’m dying to talk to this guy to see if he’s the man I’ve been looking for. I left a message explaining that I had found an item that I believe belongs to him and that I’d like for him to call me back. Almost my entire workday had gone by and I hadn’t received a call back.

Checked the social media message. Still hadn’t been seen. At this point I’m going crazy not knowing if this is my guy. I call his workplace one more time in hopes that there will be an answer. Super friendly receptionist forwarded me to his extension. Rang, and rang, and rang, and as soon as I was going to let out a disappointing sigh a hello came through from the other end! I introduced myself and stated that I had a question. He goes “okay”. I asked if he had ever lived on the corner of this place and that road and he replied “yeah, I did” and then gave me the house number to further confirm this was indeed my guy.

I said “I have something that belongs to you and I’d like to return it”. He kind of laughed a little and then told me the story of how he bought the place and how it was FULL of the previous owners stuff. He probably thought that I had found something of theirs and thought it was his as there was so much stuff left there. He finally asked what I had. I responded with “I have your class ring”.

E2734EB7-5DA7-44F9-9C09-71BBBA09B9C0.jpeg

9CD35810-7406-4875-9B65-649A92EF3302.jpeg

88EF1CE4-4E0F-40D6-99C5-60022504E886.jpeg

He was excited to hear that and told me about how he lost it. He had been doing some work on the roof and had lost it then. He had checked the gutters and never found it. He remembers saying to himself that he should probably take it off so he didn’t scratch it which I find hilarious cause he ended up loosing it instead. We tried to arrange a time to meet up so I could give it back to him but our schedules didn’t line up. A couple days later he was able to make it out to my work to pick it up. We talked for a bit while we walked through the shop and into the employee parking lot about metal detecting and stuff like that.

Finally, after roughly 26 years of the ring being buried in the earth the moment came. I got it out of my car and dropped it into his hand. And then that’s when his face lit up. It’s exactly that moment that I look forward to the most. The moment where they’re reunited with an object that they thought was gone forever. We walked back across the dealership. He asked me how much he owed me or how much I wanted for it. I told him I wanted absolutely nothing and that this is what the hobby is about. This is what makes digging 10,000 pull tabs worth it. He insisted on giving me a finders fee. We argued about that for about a minute or two but he wasn’t budging so I accepted and thanked him and used it for gas on my way home.

9C05E0D1-6356-441C-8605-BD6549849452.jpeg

I really do hope that one day all of you get to experience the thrill of returning a lost valuable that you’ve found. This really is a rewarding hobby and I can’t wait to see what I dig next. Be safe folks, dig everything, and happy hunting.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HM for certain! 🙌

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just made so many of us look good! Thanks for putting forth the effort to track this guy down. HI BOB!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Love it when a Sherlock Holmes "whodunit mystery " gets solved by a md'r. Thanx for taking us along. Good on you !

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good write-up! I wish i could have been there to witness the return.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting story and an even better return!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and better return!!! HM for sure!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and return. Definitely better than adding it to the trophy case

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honorable mention he needs some more votes Great job Your a great person

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's wonderful! Great job! I submitted my vote for honorable mention, too!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I mention that was very honorable

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Returned a man's wedding ring to a newly wed couple on Clearwater beach 2 yrs ago and I know exactly what the face of the owner looks like when they and their ring are reunited...worth 10,000 pull tabs.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Story, Thank You for sharing! :occasion14:

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you feel the way I do when I return something to the owner. Great job and nice write up. Keep swingin, your karma is good.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is about the search! And the returns, well, they are the best. Nice Effort & Honor!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread