Woo Hoo Found and returned to owner class ring in same day. First returned ring

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Hello all,

I have not been out detecting much at all as many of you know. Things have been a bit tough for me lately, but today was Heaven for a day.

In a few days 4 years of saving will pay off as we take our daughter to Fla. to see the ocean for the first time. So today I went to a lake about 45 miles one way because this lake has a swim area that is made from sand. They shipped in the sand many years ago. I borrowed a sand scoop and went there with my detector to practice before going to Fla. Also the water levels are way down in this area due to the extreme drought this year.

Because of the drought I was able to detect in water that was normall 9 feet deep but only about 3 feet deep right now. My 2nd signal of the day turned out to be a nice class ring from 2004. I asked some of the people in the park where the HS was that the ring came from. IT turns out that the ring was from Jr. High and the school was about 12 miles more down the road. SO off I went looking for that school. I just knew I had finally found a ring that I might get to return because the persons name was engraved inside. The school was off for fall break, however a few staff was there and they took me to the principal who was there. He said he remembered the young girl and he called the secretary who lived down the road. They both said the girl was a very smart nice young girl that everyone liked, so the secretary came into work and found the number. She then called the home and got ahold of the girl's mother. The girl was gone visiting family, but the mother came and got the ring. While she was coming I got lucky and was able to get the principal to take a picture of the ring for me.

The mother showed up and said they lost the ring there last year. She said they all dipped down and looked for hours and never did find it. The ring was bought as a gift by the girls best friend who had to move away, so the mother said that her daughter cried for a couple of days after she lost it, and had been sad any time it was mentioned.

SO even though things have sucked for me, I sure feel like a GOD in Heaven today. WOW did it feel great to finally meet my 2nd goal from last year to find and return a ring. And from what I hear I could not have been lucky enough to find a better young girl to find the ring for. OF course 2 weeks ago I met my other goal for last year and that was to find my first silver quarter.

Very cool to meet both goals especially since I have very limited time I can detect due to my wrist damage.

Thank you all for reading. I hope of you get to find a ring to return. I knew it would feel really great to meet this goal some day, but after hearing the mother's story about how much this ring meant to her daughter it is even more awesome than I could have imagined.

Postalrevnant

Attachments

• returnedring.jpg
    returnedring.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,045

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Re: Woo Hoo Found and returned to owner class ring in same day. First returned

What a sweet story! The kharma gods will be smiling on you for sure!

vicki

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Way to go, nice job. Its something special when you do for others don't know how to put it into words but you just know it.

Jim

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post....glad to see you got out and made an awesome find. Great that you were able to return it....feels good doesn't it? ;D I;ve been able to return a few rings and some war medals and there is no better feeling than seeing the joy on the owners faces....CONGRATS and WTG!!!! ;D

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ring. Congrats and way to go returning the ring. You made us all winners too. Every little bit of good publicity helps us all. Hope your wrist is 100% soon.

DANGLANGLEY

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Again a post that gives credibility to our hobby! :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's awesome Postal....Give's you that good feeling in the heart....Very Nice!!HH!!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Extra brownie points on that one for sure!

stretchmodel

Dec 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, S.D.
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Postal,
I am glad you were able to meet one of your goals for md'ing. Have a great trip to Florida, I hope you find some nice things. Congrats on the return, its not everyday that we get that kind of opportunity and its good feeling to have to know that someone will be returned to something that is meaningful to them.
HH Jim

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. Way to go on the return.
-MM-

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job Doug.

Congrats !

you Certainly Deserve an Honorable Mention.

It is an Awsome Feeling to Return something,
Knowing they appreciate it.

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I thank all of you for the kind words. And yes all of us were winners that day. Felt great to finally meet the goal of returning the ring, and especially doing so to such a nice young girl whom the ring meant a great deal to.

I think it was some type of fate though. So small was the chance of me getting in the water, and exactly where I did on a very large area.

The fate thing is the fact that her father was a Vietnam Vet and he spent along with other friends 14 years getting his disability claim approved. As it turns out he is having the same exact medical problems that I am, and of course I mentioned on another post that I just got turned down. He has a list of the doctors in the VA's nearest me that I need to see. Doctors who actually care about the Vets and not about keeping the VA from having to do something. He also knows the doctors to stay away from and the doctors I need for my surgery. Just as important I was wondering if there was some type of legal help I could get from Disabled American Vets, American Legion, or Veteran of Foreign Wars. He already had a list of peps there that could help me as well, peps who already helped him and others win their cases and helped them to get medical help.

Very odd how the exact information in life I needed was with the father of the person I found and returned the ring to. Especially with him having the same exact problems medically and legally with the VA that I do. Strange indeed.

That was truly a super lucky day for her and me both. Not even counting the great feeling that I still have. It certainly turned around the way I have been feeling for a long time now.

Thanks again all,

Doug Postalrevnant

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow.

First, congratulations on finding - and returning - the ring that meant so much to the owner.

And second, how very wonderful that you've found someone who can give those pointers with your own situation. You're right, it really does feel like more than coincidence. What a blessing to everyone!

So glad, and very glad you shared both posts with us.

thanks,
Nan :)

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Good Story and I do hope that things turn around for you. It is important that you do the right thing and you did. I hope that when it is my turn that I will also do the right thing. Let us know how your daughter likes Florida.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Re: Woo Hoo Found and returned to owner class ring in same day. First returned

this is one of those posts that give you that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff! Big thumbs up bud! :)

Top Member Reactions