Ring found and returned after 60 years...Update.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been hitting some fields that my cousin owns. This farm has been in the family since the Revolutionary War. It is an original land grant for service in the War. Corn was planted here and the stalks were bushhogged but they are still about 6-8 inches high and this makes for some frustrating swinging with my Tejon and small coil. I decided to use the Nautilus with the 15" coil and swing over the stalks. So.. I was hoping to hit a few nice relics there but haven't found anything good yet until yesterday. I found what appears to be a finial from a cartridge box maybe and then found what led to my good deed.

I dug a small ring and thought it might be silver so, no big deal. When I got it home and cleaned the dirt I saw 18k and an inscription inside. I recognized the initials as my cousin's and her husband's with the date 9-20-23 inside. I cleaned the ring and took it to her house. My cousin is 93 years old and nearly senile but when asked if she knew what it was she said, " it looks like my ring"! She had lost it in the early 40s while hoeing in that field. Her daughter nearly started crying and said that her daddy searched hard for that ring and even had someone with huge searchlights to light up that field at night in hopes of catching a reflection. A reflection from what I wondered?? Seems there is another ring with a diamond that was part of that set that was lost at the same time. So, I gave her that ring and assured her that if the other was still there, then I would do my best to find it. Everyone was very happy and I sure felt good about it also. I can only imagine her heartache at losing those rings. She took them off her finger and put them in her pocket to keep from loosing them. Maybe I can find the other before she is gone.

Sad to report that my cousin died this past Thursday 3 days shy of her 94th birthday. I have not found the other ring yet but I will keep trying. I am glad that she was able to hold her wedding ring once more.
HH!
Mike

Attachments

• ECU 008 (Large).jpg
    ECU 008 (Large).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 864

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ring found and returned after 60 years

wtg!! bud thats what its all about right there....

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

I love it!

Hopefully the other one will be nearby.

Great story!

Ridley

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

that, my friend, is the greatest credit to our hobby I have ever heard! I am very amazed and happy, but not as happy as the lady who got her ring back...... goes to prove that if u live long enough,,,, you will see anything...... congrats to all!

Rebel Man

Jan 26, 2007
Fredericksburg Va
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a Quicksilver & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey 53 wtg and kudos to you for the great story and great retrieval of a worthy ring.
Rebel Man

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on a sweet find and return!!!! Now go and really make your cousins day....find that other ring for her.... ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

good deal now you know the general area -- so find the other one to get them "back" together as the rings should be--stop by the husbands grave site---- tell him your on the job to help find it -- make it a mission --- you can do it -- lord willing --- Ivan

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow,that is a long time for that thing to be in the ground and its fantastic that she still recognized it! Great job bud!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow. That is a wonderful story. Best of luck in finding the other ring. It has to be there somewhere.

All the Best,

Buckleboy

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gotta luv this hobby congrats!! aa

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love this story! I do hope you can find the other one too.

Nana :)

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

What a wonderful story! Here's hoping you find the other one, too. Either way, it's a heart-warmer, for sure.

HH
Nan

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500

I agree with everyone else. This is a great story. I would call the local paper, this is good human intrest stuff.
Go look that field over!!
Joe

zartan7779

Dec 3, 2006
new hampshire
Detector(s) used
a cheap $75.00 ebay one

that rocked great story with a great ending thanks it great to read good things .

btw good luck on the other ring too

keep us posted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread